Cat won't eat,skip PM shot.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kim3803, Apr 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kim3803

Kim3803 Member

This is the first time Jax is refusing food and has very low energy. He is all about eating and will meow for an hour before it's time to eat. I've tried 2 different cans of food but he has no appetite. His PMPS was 362. I didn't give him his insulin. He is still newly diagnosed and this is the first time this happened. I'm not too sure what to do now. He is getting up and drinking lots of water. I don't want to panic but I am worried.

2. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) Well-Known Member

Have you tried running his food through the blender? When Bama won’t eat, he will drink the blended food. You can add a tablespoon or so of water and it comes out the thickness of mousse.

3. Kim3803

Kim3803 Member

No, I haven’t tried that. I always add some water to his food and give him freezer fried chicken treats. He loves to eat and never refuses food.
    This is the first time this is happening. He just has no appetite. I’m hoping he just has a upset stomach or maybe has a hairball to get up. If he still doesn’t have an appetite in the AM I will try what you recommend.

4. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Hi :bighug: Are you able to test for ketones? The lethargy, water drinking, and not eating are some indicators of ketones. Lots of info here - https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...and-diabetic-cats-a-primer-on-ketones.239971/

You just need the human urine strips from any local pharmacy (or target/walmart/etc.). If my cat wasn't eating and was drinking excessively, I'd test as soon as I could.

If Jax does have ketones, food and insulin are important to combat the ketones - you may want to consider syringe feeding if he won't eat on his own - good tips here - https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/syringe-assisted-feeding-videos-and-tips.144367/

Hope that helps a little bit :cat:

5. Kim3803

Kim3803 Member

I don’t know anything about ketones but I will definitely look into the info you gave me. Thank you.

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I just answered your other post..
    I agree about testing for ketones...if you don’t have any Ketostix go out and buy some now and test the urine. All you need to do is collect a urine sample, dip the test strip into the urine and read it exactly 15 seconds later against the colours on the side of the bottle. Anything above a trace needs vet attention. Please let us know even if there is a trace of ketones. Ketones can’t be left untreated.
    It is most unlike Jax to not eat as he is usually such a hungry boy.
    Did you offer him any other food ....like the dry or some chicken. Even if it’s not diabetic friendly, let him eat it as it is important he eats.
    It’s possible he is nauseated. Is he sniffing the food and walking away?

7. Kim3803

Kim3803 Member

I offered 2 different flavors of canned food.
    He kind of sniffed it and walked away. He just had no interest. I left them out for a while.

8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

He sounds nauseated. If he won’t eat any type of food I would take him to the vet to see what is the matter and get some antinausea pills such as cerenia.
    Also get onto the Ketostix straight away.
    Diabetic cats can’t be left with not eating and not giving insulin so you need to get this sorted out now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.