Carlton's Foster Momma

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Foster Momma, May 13, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Foster Momma

Foster Momma Member

Joined the Facebook group months ago, just started with the forum :cat:
    Trying to gain better knowledge and insight to better help regulate his diabetes.

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to the forum.:)
    Lovely to see your spreadsheet up and with data.
    I’ll give you a link to HELP US HELP YOU which will tell you how to set up your signature which will tell us about your kitty. Also check out the hypo kit….do you have that set up?
    We need information such as name of kitty, diagnosis date, what insulin is being used, and feed being fed and any other illnesses.
    Have you thought about a dosing method? Once we find out what insulin you are using we can help you with that. Also we recommend increasing and decreasing in 1/4 unit increments, not 1 unit increments.
    Looking forward to hearing back from you
    Bron

Foster Momma likes this.
  3. Foster Momma

Foster Momma Member

I think all info you are looking for to better help is completed! Please let me know if I'm missing anything!

4. Gus the Furminator

Gus the Furminator Well-Known Member

You just want to add some important info to your signature along with your SS (have a look at mine for example) this is so that they can quickly skim that info to help you best/quickly. The info they need can be found if you scroll through the document Bron shared ‘help us, help you’

I’m so glad you made it here and did your first post! (Kim from FB)

5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Great to see you here Jennifer!! It can be a little awkward at first, but soon you'll be posting like a pro!

The "Signature" is what you see below our comments. It gives a brief picture of the important things we'll all want to know before giving advice. I know some of it is repeated on your spreadsheet, but people will always look for the signature first (out of habit...there's also a little more info there that isn't listed on your spreadsheet). Otherwise people who don't know you will ask you the same questions over and over again.

Most Signatures include:

Your name/Cat's name, age, sex, date of Dx, insulin, meter, what type of food you're feeding, any other health issues or medications? and then at the end, put the link to your spreadsheet.

Ashleigh & Ares likes this.
  6. Foster Momma

Foster Momma Member

I'm sure there is probably a list somewhere on this forum! Can someone give me a few options of high carb foods! I'm unsure how to calculate carb count or do you look at the protein %?

7. Foster Momma

Foster Momma Member

I'll work on getting the signature more accurate later today guys!! Thanks for all your help :bighug:

Gus the Furminator likes this.
  8. Gus the Furminator

Foster Momma likes this.
  9. Foster Momma

Foster Momma Member

So it's almost time to eat and give insulin. His levels are slowing coming back up and shows 157. I'm nervous about giving the 2u and watching it drop all night long :/ any thoughts??

I have some high carb food, karo syrup and get a different meter to spot check as well which was recommended by Chris

10. Gus the Furminator

Sorry to be a pain but it’s really important to update your spreadsheet, please, helps us see patterns and trends

Last edited: May 13, 2022
    Foster Momma likes this.
  11. Foster Momma

Foster Momma Member

Done! Sorry, was uploading everything

12. Chris & China (GA)

If you're worried about giving the 2U, you can give a smaller dose. We're all trying to find a dose that won't take him too low and that you'll be able to give every 12 hours.

How about 1.5? It won't guarantee that you won't have to stay up awhile tonight because the depot is still in play though. Let's see what @Gus the Furminator has to say too

13. Gus the Furminator

Many thanks :)

14. Foster Momma

Foster Momma Member

I'd have to ball park as the syringe is in 1u increments

15. Chris & China (GA)

You can use one of your used syringes as a template. Pull some kind of colored liquid (Kool-aid, coffee, juice, water with food coloring) to where you think 1.5 is and then when it's time to do the insulin, compare it to your template. Just try to keep it as consistent as possible.

You can also get syringes with half unit marks from WalMart for $12.58/100. You just need the Relion, 3/10ml, 30 or 31 gauge insulin syringes
    upload_2022-5-13_22-50-20.jpeg

Ashleigh & Ares and Foster Momma like this.
  16. Foster Momma

Foster Momma Member

17. Foster Momma

Foster Momma Member

Perfect! You were right on the $ with the meter and test strips!!

18. Gus the Furminator

I think that if you have the supplies, able to monitor, I don’t see why you couldn’t shoot 1.5u - seems to have been surfing some safe numbers the last few cycles and away from those lines and ‘LO’s

Set an alarm or two throughout the night to do a quick check. +2/3 is a good indicator of how the night is going to go.

Foster Momma likes this.
  19. Gus the Furminator

Are they planning on getting a replacement Libre when this one is done or just moving onto the ReliOn completely? Just curious

20. Foster Momma

Foster Momma Member

I know we have more sensors. The current one ends in 7 days. Since he's in my care, I can definitely push in either direction. The vet unfortunately didn't seem to concerned since it's probably been going on for a while :( Is the ReliOn only good to use with the sensor, @Chris & China (GA) mentioned since it's geared more towards humans. When Carlton doesn't have a sensor should I revert back to the AlphaTrak?

I did 1.5u

21. Gus the Furminator

When you have some time, please don’t forget to update your signature… Chris and I know your back story but if someone else pops in to help, they will need that info too (without having to ask lots of questions) this is especially important in an emergency situation, that way time is not wasted with questions

Foster Momma likes this.
  22. Gus the Furminator

There’s a large chance the Libre won’t last that long and if it does consider yourself lucky! I’ve seen so many posts about it falling off or stop working a few days after - I say this and even mine (somehow) made it to the 14 days when Gus was first diagnosed.

The ReliOn is good to use without the sensor - it’s a great meter and is used by many sugar pawrents. Chris recommended it for two reasons, 1. The cost (when compared to the AT) and 2. Because your Libre is technically a human meter, the ranges would be much closer than the AT if/when you need to do a back up check on the lows from the Libre.

Good job with the shot! Let’s see how he does. Like Chris said, the bigger depot is still at play so we have to keep an eye on him.

Foster Momma likes this.
  23. Foster Momma

Foster Momma Member

I'm quite surprised it's lasted this long!! We tried back in October and it was only on a few days. Being a bit chunkier I think has helped :D
    I'll keep the spreadsheet updated and will post in the am!

I'll work on the added info for the signature..I'm still trying to figure out all the lingo!

24. Chris & China (GA)

Like @Gus the Furminator said, the Relion is the most affordable and is also a human meter like the Libre is.

When you test at least 4 times a day (and some days you may have to test 10-12 times), spending $1 per strip just isn't something most of us can do. With the Relion's test strips being .18 cents, that's a big savings.

It's totally up to you though. Whatever meter works best for you!

25. Chris & China (GA)

No real "lingo" needed in your Signature! Just put Your name (we like to call you something other than Carlton's foster mom), Carlton's age/sex, Date of diagnosis, Type of insulin, type of meter, food you're feeding, any other health issues or meds? and then the link to your spreadsheet and it's done!

26. Foster Momma

Foster Momma Member

27. Foster Momma

Foster Momma Member

When does it make the most sense to step in with a "sugar" boost?

28. Gus the Furminator

Generally between 40-50 you want to give some High carb wet food… under 40 syrup or honey should be used along with HC food for a quick bump. Syrup kicks in fast but wears off fast.. the high carb wet food takes about 15mins to kick in but lasts longer.

But it would depend on how much of a drop in a short period of time and at what point in the cycle.

I’m going to tag @Bandit's Mom just incase you need some help. She’s in India and it’s her afternoon, it’s almost 3am here and I’m falling asleep. Bhooma helped Gus and I through everything from beginning to the OTJ :bighug:!! I leave you in good hands.

Last edited: May 14, 2022
    Bandit's Mom and Foster Momma like this.
  29. Foster Momma

Foster Momma Member

Okay, we are just nearing the 50 mark and need to get some sleep too, but I have a feeling it will get lower!

30. Gus the Furminator

Dude! What are you doing to us!? I saw that 139 and ok.. we’re doing good.. didn’t expect 59 to be the next test :rolleyes:

Do you have any medium/high carb food on hand? Just wondering what you have

if we can’t get a Bhooma, maybe @Bron and Sheba (GA) is around to help out

ETA: can you replace where you put ‘insulin’ top left corner of your spreadsheet and add Lantus

31. Gus the Furminator

32. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I’m around if you need any help or assistance.

33. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Have you tested again since the 59?

34. Foster Momma

Foster Momma Member

35. Gus the Furminator

Thanks for fixing the SS and creating your signature.

He had a good surf last night. I’m interested to see how he does with this dose once the depot levels out.

I think you’re ready to join the Lantus forum. https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/lantus-levemir-biosimilars.9/

I posted there everyday with a new thread each day for months.

In a typical day I would start a new thread with Gus’ AMPS reading so my title would look like this:

MM/DD Carlton AMPS # (this is the format they like)

Throughout the day I would add each of his test #s to my thread title Example:
    MM/DD Carlton AMPS #, +1 #, +5 #, PMPS #, +2 # (etc). Rinse and repeat this everyday with a new thread (or condo as they call it).

This format lets them scroll through the members and keep and eye on what’s happening at a glance, if they see something they’ll reply to that thread.

Once you get there I would introduce yourself again and give a little more info on Carlton, like how he’s been on 3u since September (and the rest of the history that you know), when you started fostering him, etc.

I’m going to tag @tiffmaxee to make sure I’m not missing anything. Elise is very knowledgable and helped Gus and I through some tough times :bighug: she’s great!

Foster Momma likes this.
  36. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Welcome to the FDMB. I’ll look for you on the LLB forum. Hi Kim. I hope all is well. @Gus the Furminator

37. Gus the Furminator

Hi!! Miss you guys! It’s so weird to talk to someone everyday then, nothing! I’m doing well, thx! Hope you can say the same!

Gus is doing really well too.. still thinks he can eat as much like he used to :rolleyes: but we are working on it! Otherwise he’s testing in the 60s every couple of days :)

tiffmaxee likes this.
  38. Foster Momma

Foster Momma Member

Numbers have been updated to the hour..much more comfortable with what I'm seeing!
    Since I'm getting a reading every hour would I post the test #'s every hour?
    NIce to "meet" you @tiffmaxee

39. tiffmaxee

No need to post all the numbers. They won’t fit in the message box either. For today’s cycle I would post amps +2 +5 +7. Looks like a bounce tonight. I’d check before you go to bed.

Foster Momma likes this.
  40. Foster Momma

Foster Momma Member

@tiffmaxee I see you are in LA!! His numbers are slowly coming down. I'll update his numbers in the am and will work on moving over to the Lantus group

41. tiffmaxee

Yes, I am in So. Cal. Where are you?

42. Chris & China (GA)

@Foster Momma Hey Jennifer! Looks like Carlton spent a little time on the trampoline last night but was starting to come down nicely!

Hopefully this 1.5U dose will work well for him. He's looking a lot better than he was on that 3U dose!

Foster Momma likes this.
  43. Foster Momma

Foster Momma Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.