? Can reducing carbs in a cat’s diet cause increasing ketones?

Inky & Olivia

Member Since 2026
Hello everyone, since Inky’s diagnosis I have been gradually transitioning her onto a higher percentage of wet food by calories with the goal of going full low carb at some point. The total amount of calories she eats per day has not changed throughout and she is not in a caloric deficit. Right now we are at about 70% to 30% wet:dry, and while I do notice that her BG numbers are lower through the Bexacat cycle, i’ve also noticed her ketones creeping up as well.

When she was on a higher amount of kibble, around 60% dry food to 40% wet food calories, her ketones averaged around “LO” or 0.1 mmol/L, even going to 0.2mmol/L was rare. So far we have gradually transitioned her to 70% wet food to 30% dry food calories, and along the way, her ketones have been creeping up, now every day they are 0.2 mmol/L to 0.3 mmol/L. Today they read at 0.4 mmol/L, her BG at the time was 76 mg/dL. 0.4 mmol/L is the highest I’ve ever seen her ketones and I know that number is not in the “danger zone,” but I am completely and utterly terrified of DKA / eDKA.

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but it looks to me like the increasing ketones is tied to the decreasing percentage of carbs/dry food in her diet, right? If that is the case, what’s more important, prioritising low-carb diet or keeping ketones low? How can I balance the two?

Sorry if anything doesn’t make sense, I’m writing this while trying not to freak out. I’m also going to call my vet and ask this as well. Thank you everyone
 
When talking to your vet, ask at what level you need to be worried about ketones. Looks like on the spreadsheet it did come down.

Carbs are not a factor in the formula for DKA, but calories is. Is she eating well?
 
When talking to your vet, ask at what level you need to be worried about ketones. Looks like on the spreadsheet it did come down.

Carbs are not a factor in the formula for DKA, but calories is. Is she eating well?
According to my estimates she is eating around 360-380 calories per day. I posted a few weeks ago about trying to get her on a very mild diet as she is obese, but I never ended up reducing her calories any more than 360-380, I was under the impression that 360-380 was still overfeeding her but wanted to wait to reduce her calories any more without vet approval. Did I reduce it too much, does she need more?
 
Lots of information on how to reduce weight on a cat in here: Feline Obesity: An Epidemic of Fat Cats

Cats do differ in metabolism, activity levels and age so it's hard to give a one size fits all formula. But the page above does have a starting guideline for calories. My Neko, part Maine Coon and 14+ lbs, maintained her weight on 220 calories.
 
Back
Top