? Can anyone recommend a vet near Edison, NJ

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Swati, Oct 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swati

Swati New Member

Hi,

I'm currently using the Banfield Pet Hospital in Woodbridge and Edison (the hospital inside PetSmart). I feel like they've been giving me faulty info or just overwhelm me without being helpful.

For example, Mr. Stache showed signs of plaque build up back in 2020 so they recommended Hill's Science Oral Care kibble and to not feed any wet food at all ... He loves variety so I changed the kibble but kept feeding wet food according to the packaging feeding guideline calorie count.

Then a few days ago they told me he had diabetes. They recommended prescription diets only and don't see the value of raw food. They also said that he needs high fiber and complex carbs in his diet NOT a low carb diet, which seems counter to everything. And the worst thing is they sent me home with a paper of how to go about injecting insulin (no one actually demonstrated it for me). And they want him on 2 meals a day but haven't given me any advice or warnings about how to transition him or how many calories he needs or any of it.

Long story short, I feel like I have more questions than answers and I'm getting tired of calling them and them getting back to me 5 hours later, or not until I call back to check up on getting my question answered. Any vets nearby that y'all recommend would be much appreciated.

FrostD likes this.
  2. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Ive seen a lot of people mention Red Bank, is that anywhere near you? But perhaps they are specialty clinic.

Swati likes this.
  3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

4. Diane Tyler's Mom

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I live in nj but not Edison. Most of the vets will try to get you to feed the perscription food... Because they sell it. Don't go for it in this case. Just go with a low carb wet food. Most people are feeding fancy feast classic or Friskies pate foods. Wet food is best for all cats. If he needs a dental than do that. Diabetics are prone to resorption and other dental issues.

Personally I would ask for vet recomdations on a local town fb group and go from there.

Have toy given your first injection yet?

Do you think you would be willing to learn how to home test? It's not as scary as it sounds. I have a video in my signature showing how I tested my cat CC at home.

I will say that Banfield hospitals, usually located in pets stores, do not have a good reputation overall. You are probably better off finding a new place.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    Swati likes this.
  6. Swati

Swati New Member

No not yet. The insulin hasn't come into the pharmacy yet. Which has allowed me to keep researching and get his diet somewhat sorted out.

Most definitely willing! The glucose meter is being picked up today so I'm definitely going to home test. Thank you for the video!

JanetNJ likes this.
  7. Swati

Swati New Member

I think they're mainly an emergency clinic.

8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Do you know which insulin

9. Diane Tyler's Mom

10. Diane Tyler's Mom

@JanetNJ
    Hi Janet in her previous post she said her cat will be on lantus
    But vet told her to start with 2 units once a day, we told her that lantus should be given twice a day and gave her the link for lantus about the starting dose

Swati likes this.
  11. Diane Tyler's Mom

@Bronx's dad (GA)
    Hi Paul I forgot where you went, any suggestions for a vet for Swati

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.