buprenorphine?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by roxyboxy, Jul 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roxyboxy

roxyboxy Member

would giving roxy some buprenorphine lower or raise her bg? i cant find much online about it and she's at 115 as of a half hour ago.

if not, is there something else i can give her for pain?

2. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

I don’t believe there’s anything in bupe itself that would affect the blood sugar. However, if she is in pain and the bupe helps, it may potentially lower her BG some. Either way, I would give it if you believe she is in enough pain/discomfort to need bupe.

roxyboxy likes this.
  3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

It shouldn't have a direct effect but if she's in a lot of pain which is reduced by the bupe, that could lower the BG

Bron and Sheba (GA) and roxyboxy like this.
  4. roxyboxy

roxyboxy Member

thanks! i think she's in pain and it worsens when she tries to eat. i'll just check her bg in a 1/2 hour to make sure.
    thank you! i'm gonna check her bg again a while after giving it to her.

Sarah&Soph likes this.
  5. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

I read your other post and it sounds to me like she most likely has something going on with her mouth, maybe a bad tooth or an abscess or something. Hopefully she can see a vet soon and the pain meds help :bighug:

roxyboxy likes this.
  6. roxyboxy

roxyboxy Member

thank you, i think so too. :/ she did have an abscess back in may so she might have another. thank you for the help and well wishes. <3

7. roxyboxy

roxyboxy Member

quick update:
    gave her buprenorphine at 11:30. just checked bg and it went up to 155.

8. Adelanza Temprano

Adelanza Temprano New Member

It could be the particular solution of bupe you have; I have read that some compounded formulations may have sugar added which would be the issue; best to check with vet or pharmacy to confirm what you specifically have in case the formulation is the issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.