Buddy's tests: duration to levels?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MikeK, Mar 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeK

MikeK Member

Hi all,

I wanted to update you on my boy Buddy. The last week his glucose has been around 90s to 100's. So far no sudden spikes or start in elevations to the mid or high 200's to low 300's. He is eating, drinking well and also seems to still be his good ole self. I have been testing him -at least trying to- when I get up (around 11am) and try to get him before I go to work (around 3PM - but this is a hit and miss since he is slightly up and about so it has been mostly at 11am and when I get home at 1am). When I come home I test at 1:00am before the night time dinners before bed start to get into his system. So the testing is not directly on schedule or in equal balance to hours.

They have been: Going backwards- (today) "111am-98aftrmid," "112a-159aftrmid = that was due to 3 tries", "103-128", "122-108", "127-124", "147-142", "186-231", "187-329" - have no idea what caused that spike, 289-221", 1st test was 286. But they do appear to be going down.

Should I continue along these lines or slow down. His poor ears are getting a little sore I think and I try to hit him not in the same place and avoid to far into the ear of course. His left ear had a hemotoma a year ago and though his surgery was done well for it it's a little hard to get at. I took away the hard food (though it was Wellness CORE no grain?) and no more Temptations snacks for him for now. And I don't leave food out all night like I use too. But leave enough wet out while at work to hold them over till I get home, and hoping I don't get stuck with over time.

So there's the report so far. I think my Buddy is doing better, right! :D

Thank you all and I will keep you updated.

2. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

It looks like his pancreas is working, and it looks ok! I think you are saying you test around 3 times a day: 1am, 11am and sometimes at 3pm. I think that once or twice a day is just fine, acknowledging that there is going to be fluctuation in values you get. If you consistently though get values 150ish or higher then you need to wonder about a whiff of insulin or something...I say this but for some people, they may already give insulin at the numbers you are getting so there may be a few differing opinions on correct course of action.

3. MikeK

MikeK Member

I think we are going to go with once or twice a day, maybe every 24 hours. His little ears need a rest. :smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.