Brushless Teeth Cleaning

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Corey & Kitty, May 15, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corey & Kitty

Corey & Kitty Member

I've been interested in dental care for my kitties lately. Since I started feeding only wet food I've noticed that Kitty's breath smells really bad like the wet food pretty much the whole day. I'm not sure how often I could handle brushing her teeth, or even if she would let me. I've tried lifting her lips to get a look at her teeth and she will barely tolerate that.

I saw on Chewy they have a section of brushless teeth cleaning products like wipes and gels. I'm wondering if anyone has an recommendations or has used any of them and are they worth it or just waste of money?

https://www.chewy.com/b/brushless-teeth-cleaning-2726

2. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Hi! I read your post earlier and I have never tried the thing ms you mentioned so I didn’t respond. I’m sorry I can’t comment on the efficacy of these brushless methods, but I hope some other members will be able to.

One thing that I have tried is Ora-Clens 1-TDC for periodontal health. This stuff is great. It was @JaxBenji I think who first turned me on to this stuff and then I read a lot of positive things about it on the Tanyackd support group. Some people have had amazing results with this on their cats’ teeth. I use it on my FIV positive kitty’s teeth, since those guys have notoriously bad tooth problems. Of course, you have to open the capsule and kind of apply it to their gums. My Marcus is really good for this, but I figure if I get it in his mouth and some on the gums it will help. So far, so good. The taste is not bad. I personally tried it.

3. Corey & Kitty

Corey & Kitty Member

Reading the product description on Chewy. I see they are liquid filled capsules and you apply the liquid to their teeth and gums like you mentioned. It says the capsule can be fed to them afterward. I'm wondering, why couldn't the liquid just be mixed into the food? Surely it would get on their teeth and gums if it were in there food, would it not?

4. Suzanne & Darcy

I never tried it, but could work. Maybe a dog would eat this thick capsule, but I don’t think a cat would. It’s a thick capsule. Not like a regular gelatin capsule.

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I clean Harry’s teeth every night. I use a baby toothbrush and cat/dog toothpaste. Never use human toothpaste…it is toxic to cats.
    I started off when he was young by just feeling his teeth, then I introduced the toothpaste on my finger , then gradually started to use the toothbrush for just a couple of seconds, gradually increasing the time. I let him smell the toothpaste.
    He is now almost 6 and has lovely white teeth. I did stop for a few months and just fed him bones but I found his teeth had slime on them so I returned to using the toothbrush.
    He is fed a raw food diet which I prepare. My other cat Clover lost most of her teeth when she was 9 months old due to having double back teeth and severe gum infection which would not clear. She is now absolutely fine . She has very few teeth but she would not let me near her mouth.
    If you can, I would absolutely recommend teeth cleaning with brush and toothpaste

Corey & Kitty likes this.
  6. Suzanne & Darcy

I’m very impressed with Bron’s tooth brushing of her cat Harry! Will Kitty let you put your finger in her mouth and on her teeth/gums? I was kind of assuming not because you were looking for “brushless” products. I am now thinking about brushing a couple of my cats teeth- the ones who would let me - because I know a lot of them would not. I guess it’s done with one of those little toothbrushes that fit on your finger.

Corey & Kitty likes this.
  7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

@Suzanne & Darcy I tried a finger brush on Harry but found it too big/ bulky. The baby tooth brush is much smaller and easier to use, for me anyway.
    But even a cloth wrapped around your index finger is good to get the slime off, especially in the beginning when you are desensitising them.
    I do it last thing every night after Harry has had his supper. I find if I even leave it one night the teeth feel slimy.
    I tell him every night he’s a good boy and he has the best teeth in Sydney :joyful:
    And he doesn’t have any bad breath at all which is nice as he likes to get up close to my face…..he just doesn’t realise his whiskers tickle!

8. Suzanne & Darcy

:cat::cat::cat: He sounds like a wonderful cat!

9. Corey & Kitty

Corey & Kitty Member

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.