Bouncing? Need advice interpreting BG numbers

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JulieL, Feb 9, 2024.

1. JulieL

JulieL Member

We are in the early stages of monitoring Liberty's BG levels. (I'm pretty sure I'm driving him crazy!) I'm definitely learning a lot, and I know I've made some mistakes. Right now I'm trying to make sense of all this data, and trying to figure out what it all means. I'm thinking he is bouncing? I'd love some input on his numbers so far.

(I started a new thread, but didn't know how to "tag" my previous threads with this one.)

Thanks!

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

@Suzanne & Darcy
    Here is her other post
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/dosing-advice.286369/#post-3151233

JulieL likes this.
  3. JulieL

JulieL Member

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I think you are correct -- Liberty is bouncing. When Liberty drops into either blues or greens, he bounces back up into a higher range. The good news is he's clearing the bounces fairly quickly. His body needs to get used to being in lower numbers.

5. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't give dosing advice but to me it looks like you have a bouncy kitty. As Liberty becomes used to blues and greens, the bouncing should lessen and your spreadsheet won't look like this:

rainbowcat.jpg

Tagging @Suzanne & Darcy for dosing advice.

JulieL likes this.
  6. JulieL

JulieL Member

Thank you for replying! This forum helps so much. So I'm guessing I just keep things as they are, continue to test, record, and evaluate. Any changes I should make regarding timing of testing/ feeding/ snacks?

7. JulieL

JulieL Member

Haha! That picture made me giggle. It's good to laugh a little during this. Thank you for that!

8. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Hi. I would really like to help you with your dosing and everything. Would you be willing to post over on the ProZinc forum? I get emails sent to me directly over there on the ProZinc forum so I am much less likely to miss messages over there. You will see a lot of me on other ProZinc users threads over there.

What is Liberty’s feeding schedule? I see a little bit of bouncing perhaps that does not last too long and perhaps some loss of duration of the insulin. I would not recommend feeding after about +6 (unless you’re doing it to bring lower numbers up) in order to not shorten the duration of the insulin. It’s early days right now, so just try to keep on keeping on and we WILL get your sweetheart into better numbers. I would like to help. For now, hold this current dose for 7 days and then we will reassess the dose. This is, of course, unless a reduction is earned. Just let me know when you usually feed/give snacks throughout the cycle. It looks like you are doing a good job so far. Take it easy on yourself and hang in there!

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  9. Suzanne & Darcy

What a cutie! Just looked at his photo!

10. JulieL

JulieL Member

Thank you so much!
    I'll reply here, and start posting in ProZinc Forum. I actually have his feeding/snack times listed in the far right comments column. I've recorded the times he's "eating", and that he has been getting freeze dried chicken treats with each BG check. He actually hasn't been getting the daily calories he needs. (He's 11.4 lbs and has recently lost weight from poor appetite). I've been trying to monitor how much he eats, and he seems to prefer smaller, frequent feedings. Currently he is getting about 180 cals/day ( less than two 3oz cans per day). He does go crazy for his freeze dried treats he gets at testing time. (Question- could those make him constipated? He did not have BM yesterday.)
    Again, thanks for all the help.

11. Suzanne & Darcy

Hi. You know what I have found to be a real appetite stimulant is to crumble up a freeze dried chicken treat on top of wet food. I call it magic chicken dust.

12. Suzanne & Darcy

Good AMPS this morning. Did you shoot yet?

13. JulieL

JulieL Member

yes, at 8

14. JulieL

JulieL Member

Were you able to view his feeding/snack times? What do you think about the amount of calories he's getting? As far as timing, you're suggesting not feeding after +6 (but of course feeding PM meal before insulin shot), right?

15. Suzanne & Darcy

Good. I just didn’t see anything in the units column when I checked so I wanted to make sure nothing was wrong.

JulieL likes this.
  16. JulieL

JulieL Member

Thanks, you caught the one time I didn't record immediately, lol!:)

17. Suzanne & Darcy

Yes. I did see the feeding times. Those are great notes and are very helpful. He is being fed a little too late in the cycle, but in his case, we may have to allow him to eat because he needs to gain weight. If you get him feeling better and having a better appetite, then hopefully he can eat most of his calories during the early portion of the cycle. I would recommend a small meal/snack starting at +2 when the insulin is going to start kicking in. Then again at +4 and depending on how well he has eaten at those two mini-meal times and also his breakfast, you can give give another low carb mini meal at +6.

18. Suzanne & Darcy

And yes of course he will still get his regular meal at the time of his insulin shot. With ProZinc, you don’t need to wait until after he is finished eating to shoot the insulin. You can shoot while he’s eating even. He doesn’t have to eat a ton at that time as long as he’s eating and then getting his snacks.

19. Suzanne & Darcy

I’m really really hoping he will have a better cycle today and not bounce off of that yellow! Please Liberty! He is just not used to even yellow numbers it looks like — to say nothing of the blues (which I am happy to see even if I know he will bounce.)

JulieL likes this.
  20. JulieL

JulieL Member

I hope so, too! What is the recommendation to treat possible constipation? I did give him 1/4tsp psyllium husk with his breakfast today.

21. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

a lot of us use Miralax , get the generic it's cheaper and it's the same thing
    Such as clearlax or any other brand
    (polyethylene glycol 3350)
    You can start off with an 1/8 of a teaspoon everyday mixed in with the wet food and add water
    to it, it's tasteless. See how that dose works for a couple of days, you might have to increase it to twice a day.

JulieL likes this.
  22. Suzanne & Darcy

I would start with 1/8 tsp Miralax mixed into food. It has no taste (just plain unflavored MiraLax). How long since he had a BM?

23. Suzanne & Darcy

The plain psyllium husk is a good idea. Some of my cats won’t eat it because it makes the food kind of gummy, but others don’t care. You know what I mean? It kind of changes the texture of the food.

24. Suzanne & Darcy

If it’s been a while (several days) since he went, you may want to start with 1/8 tsp. miraLax twice a day and then back off to once a day and them see if you can keep things moving with the psyllium husks. If it hasn’t been that long, start with 1/8 only one time per day at first and then increase. Some cats need more than others.

25. Suzanne & Darcy

Darn, I was just checking in on Liberty’s spreadsheet and see he did the same thing again. From yellow to a pink cycle. I’m sorry. I think he is going to need an increase back up to 1 unit after 7 days, but things may improve before then. We will see and we can hope.

Do you test for ketones?

26. JulieL

JulieL Member

I have ketone test strips, but I’ve only been able to catch him in “midstream” twice (several days ago). Negative both times. I’ve ordered a ketone blood meter, but it won’t arrive until Wednesday.

27. Suzanne & Darcy

Sounds like he may not be producing ketones, which is good. I have a Nova Max Plus blood ketone meter. I preferred that to trying to catch him in the litter box (multi cat household too.)

28. JulieL

JulieL Member

I tried to order that one, but it was unavailable, so I ordered the the Keto-Mojo meter (crazy name). I got lucky catching him a couple times and even kept a ladle handy! I feel more confident testing his blood. Multi-kitty household does present challenges in monitoring all their bodily functions! I think Liberty may have pooped earlier- I found a small, hard, dry poop, but I can’t be 100% sure it was him. As far as his injections- I’m wondering about my technique. His skin is quite tight on his back and sides, making it hard to get a nice tent for the sub-q. However, I think I’m getting it. Tight, furry skin!
    And of course now he’s “asking” for food. Oh, Liberty!

29. JulieL

JulieL Member

Well, I just missed catching the stream of urine but I did quickly touch the strip to the fresh urine on the side of the litter box. If that is actually accurate, looks like maybe trace amount of ketones.

30. JulieL

JulieL Member

His +8.25 number went down to 208. He had not eaten since +4.25. Now he is acting hungry, and so far today has only had ½ of a 3oz can. That's only about 50 cals. That's not enough.