Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    Reason for edit: add link
    jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Patty!

Arrrrggghhh. You've fed him. :banghead:

DO NOT GIVE INSULIN YET!!!!

Just looking at Blue's spreadsheet and tagging Elise (@tiffmaxee) to see if she's online and could chime in.

BRB ...

3. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Patty and Blue GA & Brat Well-Known Member

I know... I'm so mad at myself.
    She's probably still asleep.
    I have not given him a shot.

4. Critter Mom

If it was my cat, I'd be very nervous about giving 0.75 units Lantus today.

There are a lot of moving parts here:

* Blue's clearing a bounce (and perhaps clearing the carbs from the contraband treats).

* The depot for the 0.75 unit dose is not yet fully established.

* Unfortunately we don't know whether Blue's BG levels were on the way up at AMPS.

I need to check on something in one of the forum stickies and I'll come back to you shortly, Patty.

Mogs

5. Critter Mom

Life happens, Patty. Stress and worry can play havoc with a person's ability to focus. Be kind to yourself! :)

:bighug:

BRB...

6. Critter Mom

Sorry for delay. Lost access to FDMB server. Off to look up stuff. Back as quick as poss...

7. Critter Mom

First up, Patty, under the SLGS protocol any result under 90mg/dL on a human meter earns an IMMEDIATE dose reduction.

Your 81 AMPS meets that criterion, so you now need to give less insulin.

How are you positioned for testing today, Patty (both AM and PM)?

8. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

I have PT at 2:00 but can be around the rest of day and night.

9. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Good morning. Well you can either skip or wait two hours, test then as it won’t be food influenced and shoot if he’s up. I would not give any now. He’s earned a reduction to .50. What do you think?

10. tiffmaxee

Is it more than 20 minutes since he ate?

11. Critter Mom

Yep. It's 39 mins since I first responded to the thread and I think Patty's OP was about 12 minutes or so before that.

12. tiffmaxee

It’s going ruin her schedule. I think it’s best to skip. If she shoots she will find herself up all night a lot and I don’t think it’s possible. I wish I had logged on earlier. She did this before 6 my time though.

13. Critter Mom

If it was me in this situation with the gap in testing cover, I'd take the ultra-cautious choice.

14. Critter Mom

Agree. Two reasons to skip.

15. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Hi guys...sorry, was working with Brat. I will not shoot this morning but can test when I need to. What's your advice on when and how often?

16. Critter Mom

Patty, what do you think you'd like to do?

(Might be a few minutes before I can respond. I need to feed the Noodler.)

17. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

I also need to get better syringes today...

18. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

You know, I could test now and see where he is and then we can decide?

19. tiffmaxee

Going forward here’s our plan. He drops at night like many cats. Max did. You need to always get a test when you wake up and if low a +11.5 Then another At AMPS unless the other tests are higher than 100.

Test two hours after he ate so we can see his bg.

20. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

It's up to 91 only

21. tiffmaxee

Patty, 81 is a safe number so if you see that at AMPS or PMPS don’t panic. I bet you didn’t but want you to know just in case. M really optimistic for Blue that he was steroid induced.

22. tiffmaxee

That’s great! I need to feed my screaming cats and will be back.

23. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

I'm hoping that too

24. Critter Mom

There'd still be food influence on the reading.

I didn't elaborate much about the reasoning behind my inclination to be uber-cautious because I wanted to leave space for you to give your view first, Patty. Blue is your cat.

Looking at Blue's spreadsheet, bounces and contraband aside, he is very much trending downwards in his insulin requirements. You have also reported his clinical signs and behaviours are getting better every day. He has earned another dose reduction this morning.

This is the first time Blue has been this low at preshot so you have no data at this time to guide you as to what his response could be. Blue has no history of throwing ketones or recent DKA, Even if only giving a reduced dose of 0.5 units, because you're not able to test throughout the full daytime cycle today I think it's safer to skip this morning's dose. If it were me in this situation, I would skip. Also, as Elise says above, it would be better for your schedule. You need to make sure you get sleep too, so that you can look after your beautiful boy.

Mogs

25. Critter Mom

Ditto. Anti-jinx!! :nailbiting: :)

26. Critter Mom

Easier said than done when it's the first green preshot! :nailbiting: Scared the howsyerfather out of me at the time with Saoirse. :rolleyes:

27. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

I agree. No shot this morning since he is still low. He will not eat again until around 4 so I can test before and after to see what happens. Now I can move up the PMPS to whatever time I want...

28. Critter Mom

That's encouraging after his meal. Fingers and paws crossed he might stay in fairly good numbers in spite of the skipped dose.

29. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

As I said, I freaked. Especially since he was high all day yesterday and last night. I didn't expect it.

30. tiffmaxee

Okay. Cats fed. I’ve got a cup of coffee so I’m set. First, good job Blue! That’s a safe bg, a normal range bg, but NOT shootable. That’s barely a rise plus he ate. That’s why I want you to test in two hours. If his pancreas is sputtering it could be even lower.

31. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

I don't know about Keytones but do know the vet said he didn't have them. I bought testing strips in case I needed them.
    He is feeling good and loving on me in spite of the constant testing. He's the sweetest boy.

32. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Okay, I'll test around 12

33. Critter Mom

If a cat has had DKA you'd most definitely know about it.

Some cats are more prone to throwing ketones than others. If they are, then skipping doses can be a trickier issue.

34. tiffmaxee

Normal bg is 50-120. With TR we shoot anything over 50 once we have enough data. With SLGS it’s tricky. They say over 90 but I would never advise you shoot that low and definitely not after eating. Let’s see where we are at +2. How many hours before you leave for PT? You might not need to test until later in the day but I’m planning ahead.

35. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

I'll test at 12 and I leave at 1:30 for 2 appt. I can test before or after. Maybe depending on what test is at 12?

36. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

37. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

I'm off to shower and start the day....thanks so much for being here. You guys are the best. :bighug:

38. tiffmaxee

To me the +2 is to see if Mr. Pancreas is working. He’s not going to go to hypo range which is under 50. Once we see that test I might even say take a well earned break and don’t rush home. BTW, Max hit the 30’s but never had a symptomatic hypo. Cats usually act normal in the 40’s which is why we need to test. They could be on the brink and we wouldn’t even know it. Then they have a symptomatic hypo and we end up at the ER. That’s why I was so scared when your vet said to give 2 units.

39. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Great. I'll check at 12 and post number. I'm so hopeful it will stay low.
    If Blue got in the 30s I'd probably take him to the ER.
    Absolutely crazy to think of Blue getting 2 units every 12 hours. I'm waiting to send vet the spreadsheet but will when we see where he goes with this.
    Okay, be back.

40. tiffmaxee

I would cancel your next appointment unless you want to go for a reason other than FD.

If you ever see the 30’s I hope you post here first before heading to the ER. Usually some sugar and a little food brings them right up but you would be testing every 20 minutes until into the 60’s and then go to hourly and then until over 50 for two hours without food. We will cross that bridge when and if we get there. It’s why there maybe a few all nighters in the future or at least until +7 or 8.

So if you ever get an AMPS or PMPS that is lower than you have ever seen, stall don’t feed, and retest in 20 minutes. If it’s under 90, test again right away as it could be a bad strip. It happens. Then still stall, Even if higher, don’t feed, and retest in 20 minutes. We definitely need the test at +11-11.5 just in case and to keep you on schedule.

Tonight you can shoot at whatever time you want. The new dose is .50 unless he drops at any point to under 90.

41. jt and trouble (GA)

Vet prescribes 2 units...cat hypos ...vet gets more appointments? Sorry but thats the way my mind thinks I'm skeptical that way. :eek::rolleyes::blackeye:

42. tiffmaxee

Gosh I hope not! But being just stupid isn’t much if any better. :banghead::kiss::stop:

43. jt and trouble (GA)

Its my last wish that NO vet would intend harm to collect a fee. But I have seen other wise in how they prescribe that scrip junk food. "Its the best thing on the market for your cat". Riiiight dude. I do realize for some, the script food is NECESSARY but for the majority we even see here? thats just NOT the case.

And youre right stupidity is NOT an excuse.

ok off the soap box.

PLEASE KNOW THESE ARE ENTIRELY MY THOUGHTS . Not endorsed by FDMB.
    jeanne

44. Critter Mom

Feed cat high carb diet, treat with an intermediate-acting, keep cat running artificially high, discourage home testing and promote vet office curves and fructosamine tests. That would be a more lucrative hustle.

(NB: Tongue planted firmly in cheek here. ;) )

45. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

He's at 127 so higher but still pretty good. What do you guys think?

I am going to cancel the appt. No reason to take him in other than billing, as you all say.

46. tiffmaxee

You can feed as you normally would and test at +11 unless you want to test more. I’ll never say no to testing. What time do you want to shoot tonight?

47. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

7:00 sound good? I'll probably not last long at that time. Seems like something happens to make it later and later.

I might test when I return and before feeding at 4:00. We can go from there depending on what his test is. If it goes up a lot I might shoot him earlier. What do you think?

48. tiffmaxee

That’s good for me at night as it’s 4:00 in the afternoon but I won’t be around in the morning. We will cover all possibilities tonight. You can always tag Bron or Sue, if needed but Mogs knows what to do as well. Just remember if ever lower than it should be, stall, don’t feed, and ask for help. I will fill them in to keep a eye out for a tag.

49. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Patty, you have skipped. Stop staring at Blue. You don't have to monitor. Think of it as a spa day. Have a nap. Go off to your appointments. Enjoy your afternoon.

50. tiffmaxee

When you consider when to shoot remember it’s usually not a one time thing. It also can only be adjusted in 15 minute increments each cycle or 30 each day so if you shoot earlier, that’s you time. I would pick a time that ideally will work for you for the next few weeks. I would not want to get up at 4:00 a.m. to test every morning if I were you.

51. tiffmaxee

Blue is doing really well. Now we want you to relax. :)

52. Critter Mom

But he's so handsome! ;)

53. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Thanks guys. I think Blue is probably glad to have an uninterrupted nap. BBL I'm out and about! :)

54. Critter Mom

Travel safe! (((Patty)))

55. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

I just got home and tested Blue before feeding everyone. He's at 281 now. I was unable to find syringes that have the small marks.

56. Critter Mom

Glad you're home safe, Patty. :)

Maybe Elise will be able to point you to a source for syringes when she checks in later.

The 281 is not bad at all. It's good to see how Blue has been running after skipping the dose. Every test is another helpful piece of the jigsaw. :)

Mogs

57. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

2F3E67C9-6952-450B-8864-72C33B354E66.jpeg The great news is he's feeling good. I can see his blue eyes again. His pupils are not as dilated as they were.

58. jt and trouble (GA)

aye crumba!
    Awwww he is beautiful! Great shot btw! ;)

59. tiffmaxee

Hi. Walmart carries them but sometimes they don’t think they do so you need to make them check. Which brand are you using? ADW on line cells them as well. The one that was the best and I liked was discontinued.

60. tiffmaxee

61. tiffmaxee

chewy has syringes with half unit markings too. See which is cheaper.

62. Critter Mom

Oh, be still my beating heart! Patty, he's gorgeous! What a beautiful photograph of Blue. :cat:

63. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Thanks guys. One of my favorite pictures of my Bluebird because it shows his blue eyes.
    I fell asleep after I got home so I have to test, feed and shoot. I'm already going to be behind.
    I'll be back...

64. tiffmaxee

in that picture he looks a lot like my Mocha. You are good to shoot the .50 and grab a +2-3. Personally I like 2.5. I'm going for a walk if it's cooled off enough.

65. Critter Mom

Oh, I like this! :cat:

66. Critter Mom

That extra 30 minutes can reveal a lot.

67. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Okay, 358 and he ate really good and I gave him .50 Yay and I was only a little late 7:10. I will plan on testing again at 9:40.

The picture was taken with a real camera by the way. My camera on my phone doesn't get his eyes as well. I'm a sucker for blue eyes. Blue and Mocha could be family! :bighug::bighug:

I will start searching online for syringes. I was using Publix brand because they were the only syringes the correct size. Thanks for the leads.

Enjoy your walk...I can't wait to go for a walk again. :joyful: Thanks everyone....btw what do y'all think of the 358 along with the rest of the day?

68. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

5380B90E-D140-4E7D-A1B8-1145EA8635CA.jpeg Blue loves the Purebites...He kept sniffing around the box I just got from Chewy...LOL

The thumbnail picture you can pick when uploading, can you blow up on it if I uploaded a photo that way? I just picked actual size. This is one with my phone camera and dark...no blue eyes.

69. Critter Mom

Layla got a tune earlier, so now it's Blue's turn:

Mogs

70. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Oh I love that. Is that really Elton? He looks so young! Thank you...Love love love

71. Critter Mom

What time zone are you in, Patty?

72. Critter Mom

We all do at some stage. :rolleyes: :D

73. tiffmaxee

That’s good after a skipped shot . Wonder what he’s planning for tonight?

74. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Eastern right? Hahaha my brain!

75. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Oh no...hopefully not eventful. Planning on 9:40 test so we'll see.

76. Critter Mom

Eastern Daylight Time? Is it just after quarter to nine where you are?

77. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

78. Critter Mom

Cool. Got it plugged into my tablet's clock now so I'll have a better idea of when your tests are due in the future.

79. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Now it's "high"...crazy

80. Red & Rover (GA)

Blue will come down. Test before bed and if you get up during the night to use the washroom.

81. Red & Rover (GA)

Mogs, subtract 5 hours from your time.

82. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Okay, I will do that. Thank you.

83. tiffmaxee

I wouldn’t even bother testing more until you wake up in the morning. The low bg which could have been for hours and the skipped shot has him all confused.

84. Critter Mom

Thank you! :)

85. tiffmaxee

In the morning if he’s under 150 stall, don’t feed, and retest in 20 minutes. Then post for help if not sure whether to shoot.

86. Critter Mom

@Patty and Blue - Stick a note in big letters over the food tonight to remind you not to feed if you need to stall. (Saves you having to think about it first thing in the morning.)

Nite, peeps.

:bighug:

Mogs

87. tiffmaxee

Nite Mogs. Sleep well. :bighug:

88. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Alright, I can do that. I can tell he's ”high” from the way he's acting. Poor baby blue.

89. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Great idea. I'll do that right now. Goodnight :bighug:

90. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Blue is still ”high” at 7:00 a.m.
    I fed and gave him a shot .50 but can't update SS yet.
    Going back to sleep. I was up most of the night.
    I'll be back.

91. Critter Mom

Ok, Arnie! ;)

Have a grand snooze. :bighug:

Mogs

92. Critter Mom

[​IMG]

I used to be a professional picture framer. It would have been an absolute delight to have framed this really beautiful image of Blue. I keep looking at it. It's stunning. :)

Mogs

93. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Oh wow, thank you. That means a lot. I love this picture of Blue. I'm sure we all have our favorites of our babies.

I tried to start a new thread on my laptop but I must have done something wrong. The site froze. Yikes

Anyway, I haven't retested yet but Blue is right here.marching and purring and wanting me to pay attention to him only. Lol

I'll try to get a test in a few minutes. BB

Critter Mom likes this.
  94. tiffmaxee

Good morning. I hope you both slept well and you caught up on your sleep, Patty. It’s good you can nap.

95. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

:facepalm:
    I have changed and I guess that's what retirement does for you...getting in a good nap.

I tried and tried to test Blue and he got impatient for the first time. I'll try again after a while to see if I can get blood to come out.

One thing realized is that I need a later time in the morning for test, feed and shoot. Everycat was up to eat and I have my mom who sleeps until 7:30-8. She downstairs. My daughter is upstairs and I woke her. Full house and it got exciting at 7. :facepalm:

96. tiffmaxee

You will find a time that works and hopefully one that works but let’s you sleep as well.

97. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

I started the new thread. It wouldn't allow me to post it earlier.

98. jt and trouble (GA)

Wow Mogs I use to be a custom color printer! I as well would have loved a chance at printing this picture of beautiful Blue. I MISS my job.

Critter Mom likes this.
  99. Critter Mom

I miss mine too, Jeanne. I loved making people happy through my work. Just think, in another universe the two of us could have formed a formidable double act. :)

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.