Blue AMPS 461 9/16

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Patty and Blue GA & Brat, Sep 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Patty and Blue GA & Brat Well-Known Member

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Patty,

Our kitties sure know how to put us to shame at times, don't they!

Sorry I'm so late checking in with you two today (hypo watch last night till after 7am local time). I hope the day goes well with you. Fingers 'n' paws crossed for the new dose...

:bighug:

Mogs

3. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Okay, we're at 232 +6 so new dose is working so far.

Hypo watch for someone here? Your baby is doing okay?

4. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Just tested again since he got a higher dose today and thought it would continue to go down, but no
    he's at 425 +6. Craziness once again! :banghead:

5. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

No kidding! Blue! are you trying to give your mama a heart attack?

6. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Staying high...476 PMPS

7. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

It’s just tge first day of the increase. Everything else ok?

8. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Yes, all is well. I'm going to check him one more time. Afraid he'll go from one end to the other!

Hope you are well.

9. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Just tested again 423 +2.5 so dropped a bit. I'm just worried he'll drop too far by morning.
    Good night.

10. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Hope he slides down a little. Nite.

11. Critter Mom

New member Christina's little one, Kitty Cat, was throwing ketones at the beginning of the week (caught in time, thankfully - hadn't been eating properly, most likely due to constipation and a GI upset from the diet transition) and he went low the night before last. There was a bit of a meter test strip crisis in the middle of the run. Christina's grandma saved the day with her meter and supply of strips. Managed to get Kitty Cat to stay up in safe numbers after eating some high carb dry (all that was available at the time). He's now up in the rafters between the bounce and the carb fest.

Thank you for asking after the Noodle, Patty. She has been up and down. I'm starting to better spot times when her blood pressure is high. When she's back in the normal range it's like getting my cat back. Apparently it takes 7 days to reach a steady state level of the BP med (amlodipine), and you have to wait 14 days before adjusting the dose. At least this time round the anti-nausea meds are helping the Noodle keep the BP med down, but I think it's still upsetting her digestive system a bit (side effects are supposed to be transient - hope so!).

Hope your day is going well. I see his nibs is swinging from the chandelier again. Fingers and paws crossed that he'll come in to land a bit when the depot for the new dose gets established.

(((Patty and Blue)))

Mogs

12. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

(((Mogs and Noodle)))

Critter Mom likes this.
  13. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

14. Critter Mom

Most commonly urine is checked for ketones, but you can get blood beta ketone meters which work the same way as glucometers.

From the Forum FAQs:

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...oacidosis-dka-and-blood-ketone-meters.135952/

http://www.petmap.com/petMAPgII.html

I bought mine several years ago for megawonga but, according to the Hypertension page on Tanya's Site, there are much more affordable oscillometric meters available now.

Have passed on the hug to the Noodle. She says, "Prrrrr..." I'm under instructions to send some scritches to your beautiful Bluebird.

[​IMG]

And this is for you >>> :bighug:

Mogs

15. Patty and Blue GA & Brat

Thanks.
    Tanya's site is the one I used for my cats. It was great. They have come a long way since I was on there.
    I'm glad you're able to test BP at home. Sure makes it easier. How is your baby today?

I'm still reading about the keytones so thanks for the information. I'm not really understanding yet if this is something I should worry about for Blue. I'll keep reading.

Where did you get the emoji? It's so cute.

I guess I should start a new thread just in case I have issues later....look for me. :D

16. Critter Mom

Want emojis? Fill yer boots at this site:

http://www.sherv.net/brown.cat-emoticon-2308.html

On ketones, it doesn't do any harm to do regular spot checks but it's much more important if: numbers are on the high side; certain situations arise where the insulin dose needs to be reduced (not day-to-day dose reductions adjustments); a cat is having eating difficulties; the cat is dealing with infection, inflammation or other systemic stressor.

Some cats seem to be more prone to throwing ketones than others. Ketone development can sometimes be more of an issue for cats who are underweight.

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.