Blood Sugar 185 AlphaTrak 2 ok to give insulin?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Sudio3, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Sudio3

Sudio3 Member

Hello,
    Nudi’s sugar was 185 tonight. I will be away tonight so won’t be able to test him during the night. Do you think it’s ok to give him his dose of 1.75? I’m holding off for now.

Thank you so much!

2. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Hi -- It looks like it's been about 30 minutes since his PM test. Assuming that you haven't fed him in the meantime, get another test, and let's see if his numbers are rising.

Sudio3 likes this.
  3. Sudio3

Sudio3 Member

Thank you. I ended up giving him the normal dose as I had to leave for the night. I’m going back this morning and will see what his numbers are. I’ll let you know! Thank you!

4. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Hi Sudio and Nudi,
    Can't really tell if holding the dose was good or bad... how often are you doing his AMPS/PMPS after he eats? He really needs to be tested before feedings and not having eaten anything for at least 2 hours prior. It can be dangerous dosing on a food influenced test :(. Also, if you have to leave when dosing him on a lower than usual BG you can leave him catfoodsickles. Freeze like 1T of LC wet food with some water in a silicon ice cube tray (I tried regular ice cube trays first and they're hard to get out lol). Then you just pop one out as you head out so it will thaw out in an 1-2 hours depending on house temperature's so he'll have a snack if he needs it :).

May I ask why some of his shots were 2-3 hours late? Perhaps a hectic work schedule?

5. Sudio3

Sudio3 Member

Hello, Thank you. I appreciate your feedback. I did end up giving him the dose that night before I left. I will be better about not feeding him before the dose, the reason why is because if I don't let him eat when he wants he won't sit for me he'll be agitated and moving around so it's very, very hard to test him and give him his insulin. Once I feed him he relaxes and then I put him on the bed and he will stay put so I can test his numbers and give him his shot. But I will be much better about this now. I didn't realize he needed no food two hours before either! This may be tricky as we have a mold problem in our home that we are trying to remedy so we are trying to sleep elsewhere at night to get the baby out of the house. So that means we needs to do the shot and feed at 9:00pm (baby's bedtime is 7:00pm and she will be sleeping somewhere else) and then be back by 7:00am to lift up the food. The logistics may be hard but I will do my best! I'm looking to rent somewhere temporarily where we can bring the cats. I'm really worried about this too as Nudi loves his neighborhood is king of his neighborhood lol and I don't know how he will react to a new place and I'm not sure I'll be able to find a place where he can go outside and if he can't go outside there will be cat spray all over the rental! BUT I think the mold is effecting the cats too I think this is the reason my other cat has asthma! I feel so, so worried and bad about this! :( Ok so back to the diabetes, regarding the late insulin shots, Nudi likes to go outside, he needs to be free and if we don't let him out when he wants he gets very agitated and starts spraying (peeing!) all over our house and then starts beating up our other cat who has asthma giving her an asthma attack sometimes and becoming quite a nuisance! He usually will come back in time for his shots but if he doesn't that is why the shots are late sometimes. Thank you so much for all of this I will really try to be better about this and hopefully get more accurate numbers so we can be on top of it and my boy and feel better.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  6. Sudio3

Sudio3 Member

Also could you tell me the ideal times I should be checking him after his does? Thank you!

7. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

usually we recommend getting a test or two anytime between +4 and +7 since that's the phase in the cycle when most cats hit their lowest point. It can vary though from cat to cat. Moving the test time around a little from day to day can help figure out where in the cycle Nudi is most likely to hit nadir.

8. Sudio3

Sudio3 Member

ok thank you!