Blood Sugar 137?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Sudio3, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Sudio3

Sudio3 Member

Hello,
    Tonight Nudi's blood sugar was 137. I tested twice to make sure it was accurate. I'm not going to give him the shot tonight unless someone responds that it might be better to do so? This low number is so confusing. Also he's not been feeling well lately. I did change his dosage recently when I got back from vacation because his sugar went high when we were away, I increased it and then decreased it, maybe it was too much change too fast and that took a lot out of him? It seemed like the right thing to do and now his sugar has been pretty good on only .75 dose. His sugar being in lower numbers should be a good thing correct? I'm going to take him to the vet to get blood work as he doesn't seem to be feeling well. Usually when his numbers are in good range he feels great and is his normal self, now it's in the normal range and he still doesn't feel good. Anyway, not sure about not giving him the shot tonight but I can't imagine that would be a good idea with blood sugar so low.

As always thanks so much.

2. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

Sorry I didn’t see this last night. I see you went with no shot. How is he this morning? When you say he is not feeling well, what symptoms are you seeing?

3. Sudio3

Sudio3 Member

Thanks so much for responding. Yes I skipped the dose last night. Today when I tested his blood sugar at the regular time it was 210 which still isn't too high especially without having his dose last night. I'm thinking of going down to .5 from .75 but don't want to keep messing with the insulin dose so much but I think that is what I may give him this morning?

It may sound weird but I can just tell that he's not feeling well. He's just not himself, more tired and slow moving, his eyes are dripping a bit. We actually have some higher levels of radon in our home and possibly some PCE and TCE in our ground water that we just found out about and we just got rid of a big mold problem. I'm wondering if the radon and other chemicals are bothering him because my other cat who is about 10 doesn't seem like she's feeling well either. We are trying to get out of the house as soon as possible and are working on getting these things remediated. We actually have been going back and forth living other places when we can but leaving the cats in the home unfortunately as I don't know what else to do.

Thank you again. Do you have an opinion on the dosage this morning?

4. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

I see you have shot the .75 on a 180 if you are home for mid day tests today I’m inclined to say stick with .75. If not and you will be nervous .5 seems like it would be fine and less stressful on you. Hope you figure out what’s going otherwise - Radon sounds scary for all of you! As for mold been googling that myself lately as I had a major leak here. I also had a hurricane ravaged property a few years back. If you know where the mold is- bleach the heck out of it. It works

Sudio3 likes this.
  5. Harukyo

Harukyo Member

Hey @Sudio3 ! Unfortunately I'm no expert for dosing, but I can share some opinions from what I've had to do in the past and you're welcome to take them with a grain of salt if it seems off for Nudi since I'm not super familiar with him yet. I did have a few questions though after looking at your spreadsheet. (Forgive me if they've been answered in another thread) Some of the AMPS and PMPS slots are blank, but it seems like the dose is still given. Is the dose given past the 12 hour window, or are you having to change the 12 hours window around? Or are you just not able to get the AMPS/PMPS test in sometimes? (I know some kitties can be very testy about getting tested ;) )

Also, I saw that on 6/30 to 7/1 the dose was reduced from 1 to .75 (are you using U-40s? Just for my clarification) but strictly looking at the spreadsheet I didn't see a reason to reduce the dose. It seems like Nudi was doing well on that dose (1) from the PMPS 186 to +1 124 because he went back to yellow that morning for AMPS.

Whenever I ran into my no shoot numbers with Kyo for AMPS/PMPS I did the same thing you did and skipped her dose. Her body didn't seem to like that very much which you can see from my spreadsheet. Instead what I did was then reduce the dose whenever id hit my no shoot number HOWEVER I was getting guidance from other experienced members who would help me curb her levels if they got too low (which they did multiple times) and I was very fortunate to have the time to be able to test her multiple times a night. Although that was a miserable sleepless week for me, it really helped me narrow in on what dose worked best for her. If this was my cat, I would stick to this dose for now and do a curve, testing every 3 hours (since there's no mid cycle data there for after you reduced the dose) and see how his cycle plays out. Then I'd feel more confident asking people how to move forward.

Again, I am no expert and have only had the experience of my own cat. But I get all anxious waiting for replies to my questions and I hope I was able to help sharing my experience with Kyo!

Djamila and Sudio3 like this.
  6. Sudio3

Sudio3 Member

Thank you. I ended up giving the .5 so we'll see how it goes! Thanks for your feedback. Yeah the mold is scary and radon too! I can't wait until we having our housing situation all figured out! Oh my gosh so crazy and scary to have a home destroyed by a hurricane!
    Thank you. I ended up giving him the .5 and have been giving him that since as his numbers have been in the high 100’s low 200’s. Yeah this whole house thing has been a pain I can’t wait until it’s all behind us. Oh my gosh, how scary to have a house destroyed by a hurricane! Yes we sprayed the mold and believe it’s all gone now thank goodness! I’ll send good vibes that you don’t have any mold!

7. Sudio3

Sudio3 Member

Thank you so much! I’m actually away and hoping Nudi is doing ok with his reduced .5 dose. And then I noticed the alphatrak monitor has a low battery flashing alert so I’m hoping it has been giving me the correct readings! I’m hoping his numbers aren’t really higher then the readings are showing! I will answer your questions once I am back home so I can make sure I’m understanding your questions correctly and asking correctly. Thank you so much!

Harukyo likes this.
  8. Sudio3

Sudio3 Member

Thanks again Kyo for all this info. To answers your questions yes we are using U-40 and sometimes he just won't let me test his sugar, once in a while he has just had enough and I just can't do it, so that is why a few of the numbers have been missing. Also he goes outside (he will get very upset and spray in the house if we don't let him out) so sometimes he is not back in time for his AMPS/PMPS at the 12 hour mark. So that is why I list his BG number and the dose in a different slot. I hope this makes sense. So it seems Nudi's numbers have been running low for the past couple of days. I have been away so my partner has been testing him (he forgot to do it this morning) and he would tell me the numbers and I was really bad about putting them in the spreadsheet! That's my fault and I know you are now unable to help or give any input since we don't have the numbers but tonight his sugar was 86?! It's never been that low ever since we starting testing him. He has not gotten any insulin in the past couple of days because his sugar was 160 or lower. I am home now so will do better about checking his sugar as much as I can and putting it in the spreadsheet in the days to come. Thanks again!

9. Harukyo

Harukyo Member

Wow, first of all thats a great number! Go Nudi!! It is kind of freaky to get those low numbers when they haven't received any insulin isn't it? Kyo would often run into lime greens when using my human meter and I always had to tell myself okay:nailbiting:...no insulin.. were are all good!

Also I understand, life happens and we just try to work around it the best we can! Consistency would have helped Nudi reach those lovely green numbers more quickly and routinely I believe, but what can you do :rolleyes: they dont exactly understand these things lol..

Keep an eye on that blood sugar! I'd maybe even try to get in a mid test tonight if you can to see what Nudi's pancreas is doing (there should be a small drop in blood sugar levels a couple hours after eating).

I hope we see many more greens from Nudi in the future!

Djamila likes this.