Blood Glucose Readings from tonight

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Holly Bliss, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Holly Bliss

Holly Bliss New Member

My sugar cat, Sylvester was diagnosed dec 5/2019. He started on 2 units of prozinc 2x daily. I tested his blood glucose last week and he got readings of 3.2 and 6.7 at +6 and +8.5 post insulin. A call into my vet said to do 2 units in the morning and 1 at night and then retest 5 days later. I retested today and got the following:

+6 hours 2.6
    +7 hours 2.3 (given higher carb wet food)
    +7.5 hours 2.2 (given higher carb wet food with a little honey)
    +8 hours 3.2 (given higher carb wet food with more honey)
    +8.5 hours 6.4

I’ll retest in another hour. I’m using a human glucometer (one touch ultra 2).

I’ll be calling my vet tomorrow, but do I do the full 1 unit tonight? (He is due for his insulin in about 3 hours). I’m guessing this will depend on the next reading?

thanks from this nervous newbie!

holly

2. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

Hello Holly!

Newbie here, but I see you are nearing your pre-dose test. Absolutely take a good look at that pre-dose number. If it's too low to dose, then skip it. Better some high readings than risking a hypo event. You can always stall without feeding for 20 minutes and re-test again, if your schedule allows, but better to skip than go to low, especially with the lows you've already had. I'm tagging @MrWorfMen's Mom I don't know when she'll be in, but she's been a great help to me and Billy.

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Hey Holly!! Crazy day today, huh?

You might want to post over in the Main Health forum too. The ProZinc forum is sometimes slow but there's usually lots of people over in the Health forum.

It will also help us to help you if you'll start keeping track of your test results on our spreadsheet.

Here are the Instructions on getting the FDMB spreadsheet but if you have any trouble with it, I'd be happy to set one up for you.

Also, below our comments you'll see some grey text that has basic information about us/our kitties. It's called our Signature. If you click on your sign on name there's a drop down menu. Choose "Signature" and a new box will pop up. In that box put info like:

Your name/Cats name, age, sex, date of diagnosis, type of insulin, type of meter, type of food, any other health problems or meds? and a general location. Hit "save" and you're done!

When you get your spreadsheet link, you'd put that into your signature too