Beyond frustrated...ugh

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JennC & Diago, Sep 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JennC & Diago

JennC & Diago Member

I'm so frustrated right now. We've been on Lantus only since 9/4 and I understand this does take time but I cannot get my cat out of the high numbers. I know being high is better than being low but to see high numbers EVERY day since we've started is disheartening. We are seeing very minor progress but VERY minor.

I'd love some input on his spreadsheet. The vet increased us to 2u last Saturday so we're almost 7 days in at this dose. I plan to do a 2 hour interval curve tomorrow but based on the checks I've been doing it seems 2u isn't enough. I'm know I'm not the only one going through this but I sure would love to get him regulated.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I cannot give dosing advice but it does look like an increase is in order. DO NOT go by me though. Never used Lantus!
    @Wendy&Neko

Have you posted in the lantus forum? You may get more help there.

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I just responded to her post on the Lantus forum.

4. JennC & Diago

JennC & Diago Member

Yes, I posted there first but I've heard there was more traffic here.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  5. jt and trouble (GA)

Thanks Wendy!

6. jt and trouble (GA)

Understood See the above ;):bighug:

7. JennC & Diago

JennC & Diago Member

Thanks very much!

8. jt and trouble (GA)

9. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Is this ss wonky or is it just me? I don’t see the protocol you’re following. Is it TR or SLGS? It looks to me you’re not staying on the same dose long enough for it to work. Now sure what Wendy responded on the Lantus forum but that’s my two cents. You also jumped from 1 to 2 when we suggest .25 increments. And it hasn’t even been a month. Felines diabetes is a marathon not a sprint. You’ll get there! :cat:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  10. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

holding a dose for 3 cycles (3 full days as a cycle is 12 hours) is when we decide or ask if we should increase or decrease by .25
    rinse lather repeat until you find that right dose:bighug:
    asking for help is advised from a moderator :smuggrin:

11. JennC & Diago

JennC & Diago Member

I was starting with TR and realized after asking for help that because he was on dry that we shouldn't be on TR so we went to SLGS. Wendy did respond on my other thread in the Lantus forum and advised that after the curve today if he doesn't dip below 300 that we should go up to 2.5u. I read in the stickys that while starting with 0.5u is recommended for 7-10 days that after 6 cycles if we're still seeing high numbers that we could increase. We went from 1 to 2 per our vet's request due to his curve results. I know this takes time but to see him HI on 0.5u for days and even at 1u in the 500's, constantly drinking, peeing 18+ times in a 24 hour period is hard to watch. Since we've increased to 2u he is acting more himself, upstairs with us more, he's still urinating a lot due to the high numbers but they are a little better some days, more 400's versus high 500+ numbers. I'm at a loss honestly, based on the 0.5u dose his curve/nadir showed him around 392 and at 2u he did get down to 279 once but just yesterday was 379 so not sure if more insulin is needed or we start back at 0.5u for 7-10 days.

12. JennC & Diago

JennC & Diago Member

Thank you, Wendy responded on my Lantus post and advised if we don't dip below 300 today to increase to 2.5u.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.