Beenie first day off ProZinc

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Beenie (GA), Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Yup! That was my comment. I takes a while to get used to the volume of traffic there. :smuggrin:

3. Beenie (GA)

I miss here already :)

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  4. SamsonsMom

SamsonsMom Member

Hi @Beenie, I'm a PZI user considering an insulin switch because of lack of response in my cat - can you explain why you chose to switch, and why you chose Levemir? You can click on Sam's chart if you want :) Thanks!

5. Case

Case Member

Wow look at those blues today! Looking good!! :D:cool:

6. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Whoa! That's more blue than you've had this whole time put together! Wow!!!! Go Beenie! How are you holding up, Michelle? I imagine it's been a bit stressful for you seeing those numbers?

7. Beenie (GA)

Yep I panicked a bit. Then felt better when she went up a bit. Now I'm waiting to do her PMPS test and I'm scared to death on what is good to shoot on...
    I'll just wait and see what her number is and post. I'll test 20 minutes before shot time so I can get some feedback (which is soon). My goodness:nailbiting:

8. Djamila

What a day you've had! By the way, good call on the starting dose! That mama-sense is a powerful thing. I love seeing those pretty low blues for Beenie!

9. Beenie (GA)

Hi @SamsonsMom !!
    I'm not at a point where I can give you dosing advise. I still seek that here myself, just like you. Beenie is a high dose cat. She was on 14 U of ProZinc before I switched today. Had nothing to do with ProZinc working or not. Levemir/Lantus are longer lasting as they are depot insulins. Sheer volume alone was enough for me to switch. I'm sorry I couldn't be more help but our kitties "circumstances" are completely different so my reasoning for switching would not apply to Samson. The advise I would give you is to at least get your AM and PM PS numbers. Your SS is missing some info. Adding that to the picture may better help the folks here with a better dosing strategy for you. Best of luck :cat:

10. Beenie (GA)

I already had a "treat"...half a glass of red to take the edge off :p
    Getting for round two!!
    Sam started the day off lovely:)

11. Djamila

Round two of Levemir....or the wine? ;):p

Yes, Sam had a good cycle this morning. He's in desperate need of a good poop though, so we'll see if he isn't a little higher tonight.

12. Beenie (GA)

Both!!! I just got a 153 PMPS....??? I posted in LL

What is it with all the poop issue lately?!? :confused: My goodness, my civvie is having issues too...still.

Djamila likes this.
  13. Djamila

Oh wow. I'm so glad the L/L people have to help figure out the dose on that PMPS. I would have no idea what to suggest!

There does seem to be a lot of constipated kitties in the past few days!

14. Djamila

Just read the dosing advice on your L/L thread. :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting: Wendy is right though. I shot on a 67 a couple of nights ago and nothing happened. He just stayed flat. It's the weirdest thing. It's only 3:50 in the afternoon here, so I'll be around for hours if you need to have a PJ party. :bighug::coffee::cat:

15. Beenie (GA)

Thank you :bighug:
    I stuck myself with the syringe when I went to out the cap back on! I'm going to just toss them in the sharps container so that doesn't happen again! For good measure I ate an ice cream sandwich:joyful:

I'm so nervous but its what the protocol says and unless Beenie has any surprises in store we should be ok. I'll be brewing the coffee soon:coffee:
    I'm so sensitive to caffeine after 3pm so a cup now will keep me up no problem. I'll be checking in quite a bit tonight. Thanks Djamila!!!!

Djamila likes this.
  16. Kris & Teasel

What an amazing first day!!! :D:D:D

17. Djamila

I think an ice cream sandwich is a great consolation for a needle stick!

18. Beenie (GA)

I hope she keeps up these blues!!! Almost time to test again ;)

19. Djamila

By the way, I love that your Lantus thread is at the top of this thread. It makes it so easy to pop over!

20. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

What a great first day!!! And you can ALWAYS come here when you're feeling overwhelmed...can't advise on Lev, but we can commiserate and just hang out! :)

21. Beenie (GA)

Thanks Rachel:bighug::bighug:
    I just got through reading the thread of Nicole & Baby from 2009, when Nicole gave Baby 5 U instead of .5 U starting dose. My goodness what a nail bitter:nailbiting:
    She handled the hypo so so well and it was her first shoot of insulin. My goodness

Time to test Beenie;)

22. Djamila

I wonder if you might want to catch a nap for a few hours while you wait for onset? It looks like he's hanging out in a pretty safe range for now.

23. Beenie (GA)

Maybe you're right. I'm just less than a half hour until +4 test and i'll grab the data then take a nap until +6 rolls around. Good thing I didn't drink coffee. I'll set the alarm and take a quick nap. Thanks for the idea.

24. Beenie (GA)

I'm baaaack. 156 @ +6. A little earlier than +6 but close enough. Slept for about an hour o_O
    Beenie had her 12:00am feeding from auto feeder so her number may be food influenced.. ??

25. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Look at those lovely blues! :cool: Thinking you'll be seeing some nice green once the depot starts working ;)
    Good call! :woot::smuggrin:

26. Beenie (GA)

Hi Yong!!! How's work going? Maury's numbers are looking good ;)
    So many blues for Beenie today!! Quite a surprise. A good one but a tad nerve wracking:nailbiting:
    I was just about to post on a thread I was reading on the main health forum. I think Lizzy needs some help...too high of a starting dose for one
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/alpha-trak-2-meter.182072/

27. Yong & Maury GA

Hi Michelle!
    Work is not bad. I'll probably be getting rained on tomorrow LOL! I'm trying not to talk too much about my boy :p:smuggrin:. He has been more playful past couple days so I enjoy seeing the young boy again! Even with the having to ask again, "What are you doing?!" haha!

Ugh :mad: so many Vets with their high starting doses. :(

28. Beenie (GA)

Frightening. I just posted over. Hope others chime in with good advise.
    I guess I have one of the conservative vets...too conservative. You missed all the hoopla, he wanted me start Beenie at 1 U of Levemir! I was like :eek:

Stay dry tomorrow!! Or today LOL...it is Friday.

29. Yong & Maury GA

HA! It's like, OK I appreciate you being safe but that would make you lose almost all progress :rolleyes:

Beenie (GA) likes this.
  30. Beenie (GA)

It goes to show he has never dealt with anything like this. I flat out asked him if he has any other high dose kitties. He said no but that doesn't mean they don't need to be; he said I'm the only one who homes tests. He's supportive but I wasn't going to argue about starting dose because I had every intention on getting that advise here. Never even crossed my mind to ask him ;)

31. Yong & Maury GA

I was the same when I mentioned switching to Lantus at the old Vet. I just smiled and nodded at her, even when she tried to suggest moving Maury to 3.5U. Said "OK" and when I got in my car, looked at Maury and said, "NOPE!" :smuggrin:

Beenie (GA) likes this.
  32. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I think a lot of vets are trying to not stress their patients out. They figure that if they suggest home testing and basing the dose on THAT, the CG will just say NOPE and that'll be it. So they don't even try...they just base it on what they have (which in fairness..is all they have. I do wish they'd take into account stress and suggest lower than they think is needed though). I get it, but I wish vets would push home testing more. My vet mentioned it but didn't push...I chose to do so because of this place. If she HAD pushed more and maybe shown me how easy it was...and even suggested visiting here...I think we might have had much better regulation.

33. Djamila

Michelle! Look at those beautiful cycles yesterday! Actually, I really hope you are asleep right now and not looking at them. Please make sure you get some sleep today. Taking care of yourself is super important through all of this. Keeping an eye on things was important too, but it doesn't look like you slept more than a few minutes all night!

I don't think I've ever seen someone switch and get such an instant and dramatic response. That was fun to watch!

Do y'all have rain over there on the east coast? Can you send some to us? We are getting a little desperate over here.

Beenie (GA) likes this.
  34. Kris & Teasel

Stunning numbers for the first two cycles!!! And today's AMPS is lovely! :smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

Beenie (GA) likes this.
  35. Beenie (GA)

Wendy had pointed out Jack's SS (saltycat) for his dramatic response but it did go back up. Who knows what Beenie has in store. I certainly didn't expect numbers like this! Could a big piece of the puzzle been the type of insulin? We shall see.
    I have a party to go to tomorrow afternoon/evening and I'm on the fence if I should go. Have the vet tech scheduled for testing and shot but I think it may be too soon to leave the house for that many hours:nailbiting:. Not sure what to do. I'm going to talk to DH and see how he feels.
    No rain by me yet...I think tomorrow a little. @Yong is either north or south of me and was getting rain today...or tomorrow? Things get weird when you're discussing in the wee hours of the morning on what tomorrow is. :joyful:

36. Beenie (GA)

Kris I can't believe it. Can't wait to show my vet :D

37. Yong & Maury GA

Yup I'm south of Michelle and we have rain coming in right now. Supposedly the worse of it will be this evening while I'm at work... outside... :blackeye:

38. Beenie (GA)

Just checked the forecast we're getting it tonight . Tomorrow is supposed to be a rainy day too. If I could send it your way @Djamila I would:)
    Beenie is now back splashing in the water:cool:
    I'm not going to test every hour like yesterday. I'll test at +8
    I'm really liking this Levemir stuff:cat:

39. Djamila

Here is our forecast for almost a week now:

upload_2017-8-11_14-22-19.png

We are getting smoke down from the fires in British Columbia. It look like thick fog outside, and everyone's lungs are burning. Amazing how far smoke can travel. We are getting desperate for some wind or rain to move it on, but it's been hot and still, so the smoke is just sitting here. I never knew "smoke" was a type of weather!

40. Djamila

I just can't get over Beenie's numbers! This is really amazing!

41. Beenie (GA)

WOW! Yep never heard of a "smoke" forecast. That is awful and scary. I hope you all get wind and rain asap!!!

42. Beenie (GA)

I know its really amazing. I emailed my vet this afternoon to tell him I was sorry but did not take his dosing advise of starting Beenie at 1 U. Shared with him her SS and told him I would keep him posted but wanted him in the loop. He is a really good doc, this is just out of his realm I think. Haven't gotten a response back but can't argue with her numbers. I just hope we stay this course.:)

43. Beenie (GA)

LL condo -http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/beenie-amps-128.182182/

Good morning my ProZinc fam:coffee::coffee:. Today starts day four and I'm exhausted! Had our first green last night and our lowest AMPS number. I'm a little nervous about what the day will bring. Just hoping that the general rule that kitties run lower at night holds true. This is all going much faster than I thought

44. Kris & Teasel

Phenomenal progress!! Lev really agrees with Beenie. :D:D:D BTW - you haven't entered today's AM dose in your SS.

Beenie (GA) likes this.
  45. Beenie (GA)

Oh thanks Kris. I just entered it! I'm really feeling the effects of the lack of sleep. I'm just waiting to get a +2 and I'm going to go to bed. So tired:blackeye:

46. Djamila

WHAT?!?! You got a green?!!!! Did you have a little heart attack? Or a dance party?

This is really amazing. I have never seen a kitty switch and respond this quickly. As they say, the best insulin is the one that works for your kitty, and Levemir seems to be working amazingly for Beenie!

47. Djamila

It does look like he's being pretty consistent so far about hitting nadir late in the cycle. Please make sure you're taking care of yourself! Remember it's a marathon. (although it does seem like Beenie is trying to turn it into a sprint!)

Kris & Teasel and Beenie (GA) like this.
  48. Beenie (GA)

Of course I had a little heart attack!:eek:. I'm shot. Quite a bit of excitement. I didn't think we'd see greens for months. Levemir really is doing wonders.:D

49. Beenie (GA)

Boy she certainly didn't get that memo:cool: Last yellow was 24hrs ago!

50. Djamila

YEAH!!! I noticed that this morning and wondered if she was going to make it. Go Beenie!

51. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Beenie is doing great on lev! I'm a bit jealous! haha. Very happy for you and Beenie!

Beenie (GA) likes this.
  52. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

That's just amazing! Lev certainly seems like the answer for Beenie!

Beenie (GA) likes this.
  53. Beenie (GA)

Thanks Steph:)

54. Beenie (GA)

Thanks Rachel ! I can't believe all the blues. I was praying for them weeks ago and now we're chock full of them :cat:

55. Kris & Teasel

Beenie!!! :woot::woot::woot:

Beenie (GA) likes this.
  56. Djamila

So Beenie was missing her pinks, huh?

57. Beenie (GA)

She sure was and now I know to keep my mouth shut :facepalm:. (Boy she certainly didn't get that memo:cool: Last yellow was 24hrs ago!)

Now I get the antijinx :p

58. Djamila

Funny how superstitious we all become around here! But with good reason!

Beenie (GA) likes this.
  59. Beenie (GA)

Poor Beenie has been walking away from me when I go to test her. I look at the last few days and its no wonder. I'm going to try and give her a bit of a break and test less frequently. She still will eventually come around because now I have to give her a treat before I test. I used to only have to after. :rolleyes:

60. Djamila

I was wondering how she was doing with all of that. Sam would tear me to ribbons if I tried to test him that much! He has never tolerated it well. I'm sure she'll forgive you and come around as you are able to ease off of it a bit. You needed to test that much these first few days though to keep her safe. It helps that so far she has been having a consistent nadir, late in the cycle. And it looks like her onset isn't until +4-+5, so as long as she keeps at that, you could probably relax on those first few hours - at least on the days that you'll be home. And like you said - yummy treats fix everything!

61. Djamila

Hooray for the return of the :cool:!

Beenie (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.