Been awhile; sort of need to vent

borg the gorb

Member Since 2026
George is doing good, his average BG is 103 on .5 units, and my vet has been chastizing me and belittling me for taking him off 3 units, claiming that his BG is not stable because he has some drops below 70, and that he needs a fructosamine test or they will contact animal control, they backed me into a corner (metaphorically) and are making me pay 400 dollars for all these tests "because theyre reccomended" and not giving me reasons. I just needed somewhere to vent my feelings. Ive been horrid with my spreadsheet but ive been monitoring through the diabetpets app that gives me his CV and SD and his averages. Id be fine doing his bloodwork if they didnt threaten action against me for asking questions and get mad at me for changing his dosage
 
I’m so sorry you’re going through this. That sounds like an absolutely terrible situation to be in.
I personally would never give that vet another penny of my money. Threatening legal action because you dared to disagree with them would break any trust I had in them.
I don’t even understand the logic of .5 takes kitty below 70, so they are upset kitty isn’t on 3 units? Doesn’t make any sense to me. Any chance you could find a different vet?

Again, I’m so sorry you’re in this situation. I truly truly hope you are able to get a plan that works for you, kitty, and your finances.
 
HI ZACH!!!♥️
I am so happy to hear from you, I haven't stopped looking for you, my wish came true! the last entry I keep seeing was from late June, I also private messaged you several times, I was saddened to think something happened to George; it's ok to vent, the vet has NO RIGHT to call animal control on you! this is your cat, and you have plenty of data here in this forum to proof that you have been taking care of George CORRECTLY! do not get intimidated, is there any way as I recommended in the past to change vet? I know he is the vet of the pet shot you work for, but HE IS TOTTALLY OUT OF LINE! using Lantus, he has dropped a bit too low with 70BG, but that is remedied as we have explained to you before with medium carbs food or stalling the shot until safe numbers with food. My feeling is that he is putting pressure on you to make unnecessary expenses, when all George needs is dose regulation, and if George is having good numbers, giving 3 units will only take George to hypoglycemia with 3 units of insulin.
I can understand that the spreadsheet makes you uncomfortable but is a good tool for you and us to physically see how the insulin is working in George's system throughout the day to be able to give you dosing advice, if George continues to be healthy, and all he has is diabetes, you do not need that vet for that. we can help you to regulate him. Do not accept disrespect from this unprofessional vet. He's the one that needs to be reported to the Vet Association for harassment.
If you could at least place some recent data from a couple of days would be great so we can see where George stands right now with the dose you are giving him, he might need a small increase, or increase of less than 0.25 units is the right way to go since Lantus is a depot style insulin which means some of it goes into the blood stream and some is stored and slowly released over time. It can take 6 cycles to build up the depot so you can see what the dose can do. please keep posting, do not despair, let us help you, and take the vet's remarks off your head, I will tag other members to help you regulate George's BG again, but please try to put some data in the SS even if is just yesterday's and today. Is so good to hear from you Zach, Take a step back, breath in and breath out. You and George will be
just fine:bighug:

@Marje and Gracie
@Wendy&Neko
 
Last edited:
There are some foundations for diabetic cats that can assist you with the fructosamine test if this is the route you want to go to, although not needed, and other vet bills, they help me with insulin, syringes and have paid tests for Corky ,the one I work with is D.C.I.N. link below, you need to apply and they respond quickly, they email you the tests they will cover, and you take that to the vet, and they pay once you are finished with the test at the vets office, links below of several foundations, vets cannot refuse payment

Financial Help Links
 
Is it possible for you to start seeing a different vet in the area and explain the situation to them? In that case,
1. You’d get a new vet, who presumably would treat you and George with respect as their client/patient and help you take care of George, and
2. in the event that the old vet office tries something legally or just tries to shame you, you have the new vet that can corroborate your side and vouch for how well you’ve been caring for George.

I’m so sorry your vet is treating you this way, and I hope things get resolved soon. ❤️ 🐾
 
are making me pay 400 dollars for all these tests "because theyre reccomended"
Ask for the reference to where it's recommended. And what information they hope to find from it, and how it might change treatment.

Fructosamine is a great tool for diagnosing diabetics and long term owner compliance with treatment. But not good at detecting hypos or short periods of hyperglycemia. An overall well regulated cat can show higher fructosamines and a poorly regulated one can have good fructosamines. The fructosamine is an average over 7-10 days.
 
Back
Top