? B12 Injection Syringe Questions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mochi & Me, May 1, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mochi & Me

Mochi & Me Member

I'm in the process of switching Mochi from an oral B12 supplement to B12 injections and I have a few questions. I went to pick up what I thought was going to be a vial and syringes from my vet and ended up getting 4 prefilled luer slip syringes with the caps pushed on so far that the needles are stuck inside them. I had a heck of a time pulling out the needle and ended up stabbing myself with it. Definitely not sterile. And of course they didn't give me any back-ups. To add insult to injury, they charged me nearly $18 for what amounts to a one month supply. I looked on Chewy and a 100 ml bottle of B12 is under $6. Syringes can't be that expensive?

I'm considering buying my own syringes so I don't have to mess with theirs again, but I'm not sure what size they are? I'm guessing they are 18g 1.5 inch because they look just like these. I might order them just so I don't have to mess with trying to get the other three out of their caps.

His dose is .25 on a 1 ml syringe. I figure a 100 ml bottle is overkill, but I don't see any smaller options. I already added it to my auto-ship order. Assuming my vet approves it, how long will it last? Does it need to be refrigerated or just kept in the dark?

ETA: Syringe recommendations appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited: May 1, 2022
  2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

What kind of B12 did you get from the vet?
    Methylcobalamin, the type for neuropathy?
    Or cyanocobalamin?

Same question for Chewy's B12.
    I suspect Chewy's B12 is cyanocobalamin since that is a lot less expensive than methylcobalamin.

I do not know what you mean by "is 2.5 on a 1 ml syringe". I do not know the markings on the syringe. Tuberculin syringes are typically 1ml capacity and have two scales, one is in ml (.1 through 1.0 numerical markings and a Tuberculin scale with 2 to 19 numerical markings).
    A standard dose (250mcg) (https://vetmed.tamu.edu/gilab/research/cobalamin-information/) for the standard concentration (1000mcg/ml) of cyanocobalamin is 0.25 ml.

When I used cyanocobalamin i just used a standard insulin syringe.

3. Mochi & Me

Mochi & Me Member

I have no idea what the vet gave me since it was already syringed. The one from Chewy is cyanocobalamin which is what I was giving him in pill form. I assume what the vet gave me was the same.

ETA: Not for nephropathy, no. It is for IBD related B12 deficiency.

I just grabbed the empty 1ml syringe (Monoject if that makes a difference?) to look at it and the does was halfway between the 0.2ml and 0.3ml markings, so .25 ml. I was trying to go from memory when I shouldn't have. My mistake.

You can use an insulin syringe for it? I'm using BD u100 syringes with half unit markings. What would the equivalent be? 25 units?

Last edited: May 1, 2022
  4. tehg

tehg New Member

I have two cats on 0.35 ml cyanocobalamin for IBD for a few years now. My vet has me using tuberculin syringes 1cc/ml with a detachable 25 gauge needle 5/8” (their online pharmacy usually sends monoject or BD brand). They were concerned about the use of thin diabetic needles due to the hard rubber on the b12 container. Neither cat loves the 25g, so if they have them in the clinic for dental procedures I pick up some of the 27g.

Mochi & Me likes this.
  5. Deborah & Muffy(GA) & Wendall

Deborah & Muffy(GA) & Wendall Member

I've always used insulin syringes for B12 injections but get 29 gauge because the rubber stopper thing is thicker. Yes, 0.25 ml is the same as 25 units (going to assume that the 2.5 ml in the 3rd paragraph is a typo). Typically, the recommended dose is 0.25 ml given once a week. It does not need refrigeration. A 100 ml bottle will last a very long time. I usually replace it when it gets close to expiration and still end up tossing more than half the bottle.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Mochi & Me likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.