Atticus' Caturday WCR

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Monica and Atticus (GA), Mar 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monica and Atticus (GA)

Monica and Atticus (GA) Member

Happy Caturday, everyone! It's been not quite a month since Atticus has had any insulin. I'm still testing him every 2-3 days. He was 65 this morning, three hours after breakfast. So we're pretty happy. He definitely seems to have more energy than he did several months ago. He's jumping around more, and I've been playing with him more to make sure we keep his metabolism up. He doesn't lay around, eyes open and looking bored as much as he used to. He weighs 14.4 lbs now, down from the 15.5 he was most of his life, but much better than the 12.9 he'd gone down to at diagnosis. We're going to try to keep him at this weight.

Spring has definitely sprung here! The only troubles Atticus has seem to be skin allergies. He is licking constantly. I'm 99% sure it's skin allergies because Miranda has been grooming more, too, and because my seasonal allergies have been so hellacious. I think they've been bad for everyone this year. I started adding Zyrtec to their food today. I've also ordered Allerderm, but Amazon says it will be a month before it gets here! Poor Atticus has a couple almost-bare spots from all the licking.

I wanted to share a neat bit of news from the conversation I had with our vet when I spoke to her once Atticus was officially OTJ. She had been a little discouraging about hometesting in the beginning, but had welcomed me to try. Over the last couple months, she'd been following his spreadsheet. When we talked, she said that she now realizes how doable hometesting is. And she said she would give my contact info to other FD caretakers in her practice in the future who might be reluctant to treat or nervous about hometesting. She said she knows people like hearing from people who have gone through it. So Atticus might be able to help other FD kitties and their humans! So thanks, LL, for helping to educate us and in turn, our vet!

Thinking of all those who need help and healing. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

2. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

hi monica! great to see you and atticus!

you get the feel good condo award today - that's all wonderful. atticus is doing well, your vet is more enthused/open about home testing and spring has sprung!

except for the allergies, of course. i don't know much about those - if you want advice or tips on that, you might add it to your subject line.

have a great weekend!

3. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Has it been a month already? Atticus, you are doing great!!
    Monica, that is good news about the vets' willingness to refer their new patients to you for FD "training". Atticus can be an ambassador!

Have a great weekend. Sorry to hear about the allergies and hope they will subside soon.

Ella & Rusty

4. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

5. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!! WHAT A GREAT WCR!!!!!!

And Atticus will be a GREAT spokeskitty for FD!!!!!!!!!!

6. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

Great news on the vet :D great news on Atticus :mrgreen: all in all a great condo :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.