Ashfur AMPS 290 +1 149 +2 89 +3 114 needing to feed MC to bring up BG normal?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by ASHFUR, Mar 18, 2021.

1. ASHFUR

ASHFUR Member

Hey all. Feeding schedule seems to be helping out a lot. We are slowly getting better and better at it. I am just wondering if its normal to be chasing the drop like I feel as if I am doing daily. For example - I am feeding him at the hour intervals after his dose and he still is going down and heading down quickly so I feel pressured to up the Carb content in his food at about +3/+4 . Once he's below 90 I'm feeding him just to avoid what may happen if I don't. I basically go to panic mode and in an attempt to avoid a sugar episode at all costs - I feed him MC food until I see his numbers start to rise again. I'm wondering if I am doing this correctly? Does everyone have to do this? I'm wondering how anyone gets any sleep if they do because I have been getting ZERO sleep since we started wet food only diet.

Due to the under 90 numbers, I've reduced the dose 2 times in the past few days. I'm just still so new, I need to know why this is happening and if its normal...and is what I am doing correct or not? I know the BG he is seeing are good, but If I didn't intervein with the MC food, I wonder how much lower he would go? Makes me wonder if we should just start over at a standard .5 and go up if needed. We started at such a high dose in the beg. because he was eating dry food. Now he is not and everyday I feel like his insulin needs are less and less. Is this the normal process?

ALSO I wish he would eat out of an auto feeder. HE refuses. He only eats what he see's made in front of him. I have been trying to teach him with no luck. I don't know what I am going to do on Saturday mornings when I work a morning shift instead of evening.

Recent Previous posts:
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/posts/2761679/ (stalling)
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/posts/2761014/ (reduce dose question)

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Try using the auto feeder when you are home and take him there. That’s worked for others.
    Please don’t drop down to .50. Let him earn the reductions. In fact I would try and feed mc to prevent reductions s he spends more time in normal numbers. If you reduce too much t fast you will only end up with him requiring more insulin most likely. Trust the process. It works.

In fact if I were you I would switch to TR if dry food has been eliminated. Then reductiobs are earned for falling under 50 instead of 90. Of course it’s your decision.

3. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Keep trying to use the auto-feeder - even if it's just to place a tasty bit in there - we used to put a tiny piece of tuna or a freeze dried treat into it...and Luci would gobble it down...but then again, she would 'listen' for the sound of it turning...and would race over to see what's what...

Highly motivated by food...that girl...

Looking good today. I agree with Elise...keep the mc food coming as long as he's in the lower numbers...try to keep him from going down too far, too fast. Luci has done it to me many times...gotten away from me and then lost what I felt was a good dose! Just because I wasn't on top of her (like yesterday!!! I was in a meeting and missed checking on her...she got too low...so another reducie...not sure that's going to hold as they rarely do for her)...

It'll come together for you soon...have a good evening!

4. ASHFUR

ASHFUR Member

I just got home from work and he wont eat. not even a bite of food! and its shot time. His BG is 340 can I still give him insulin? I think I fed him too late...He ate last at 4:30. But its weird that he wont eat anything....Ive tried even his higher carb food and he doesnt want it.

5. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Is he unwell or just too full? 4:30 was how long back?

Hs BG is high enough that you can shoot. He is bouncing from the lows of the AM cycle.

6. ASHFUR

ASHFUR Member

No he seems fine. He ate 4 hours ago. I am surprised he didnt even take a lick of one of his favorites. He seems normal, when I put the food down he licked his lips like he wanted to eat it but just walked away. And he is meowing at me like he's waiting for me to feed him or something..? I just don't get why he would not eat.

ops actually its been 5 hours....so he should actually be hungry...

7. Bandit's Mom

Any chance the food is bad?

8. Bandit's Mom

Normally licking lips is a sign of nausea, but I've seen Bandit do that when I give her food when she doesn't want to eat or give her food that she doesn't care for.

9. ASHFUR

ASHFUR Member

I offered him like 5 different types of foods (never been opened cans). I gave him a half dose..... I hope he is ok. He is not acting sick :(

10. Hercule's mum

Hercule's mum Well-Known Member

How is he today? I snooped at the SS but there was no entries. Hope you are both fine.