Anything I need to ask my vet?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jan D & Squeaky, Sep 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan D & Squeaky

Jan D & Squeaky Well-Known Member

Hi Wonderful Helpful New Friends! Wow you are the best!!!!

I have a phone consult with my vet on Tuesday, I need to email a list of questions on Sunday night.

Anything you all think I need to ask? So far I have:

1) what is Squeaky's ideal weight? How much should he be eating/drinking? Should he have food available constantly (My guess is yes).

2) Can I introduce beef into his diet (currently eating pork). Can I give him a little cooked egg, either whites or yolks or both? (To hide his ground eggshells for calcium inside.)

3) How can we decrease systemic inflammation (for his IBD and pancreastitis)? I'm not talking about controlling with symptom-suppressing pharmaceuticals, but natural remedies. Several remedies I'd immediately start using for humans include: salmon oil, bovine gelatin, vitamin C, boswelia but might not work it's a plant, lose weight/fasting, homeopathics, enzymes like nattokinase, Chinese medicinal approaches. I'm not saying these are for cats but it amazes me there is NOTHING for cats besides pharmaceuticals

4) How should I be dosing the steroids? He's currently getting 2.5 mg/day, in the morning.

Then I will tell her about this forum and how you're going to help me with glucose monitoring and dosing.

I am AMAZED that no vet ever mentions online forums. Grrrr.

Thanks for any input.

Hugs from Jan and purrs from Squeaky

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    Reason for edit: clarification
  2. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Hi Might Be Late

But 1. Cats, Even Their Brothers Amur Tigers, Are Obligatory Carnivore and Naturally Choose Their Preys as Bovine Augurs, Big Deers e.t.c, Hares .... and are thus not the egg nest raiders in their Wild. NOR Fish Eaters.

2. Egg yolks are fine since natural A vitamines e.t.c in them and can be served raw.
    Egg white needs be cooked since raw egg whites breaks down B-vitamines e.t.c in the cats.

3. DO NOT use a n y t h i n g for IBD and Pancreatitis BUT the steroids.

Jan D & Squeaky likes this.
  3. LittleBo

LittleBo Member

Another human anti inflammatory is turmeric, have a look and see if that's also OK for cats, I'm not sure myself but if it's OK then worth a shot. But double check first xx

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'd suggest you take a look at the Raw Feeding for IBD Cats website if you're not already familiar with their site. There is a huge volume of information on supplements available there. You may want to consider putting your cat on a maintenance dose of probiotics (NOT Fortiflora). Look at the suggestions on the site I linked. If you have labs that tested B-vitamin levels, your cat may or may not need a supplements.

5. Jan D & Squeaky

Wow Sienne and Gabby. I'm not familiar with their site and I have signed up for their facebook page. Thank you so much for this valuable resource.

6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

There's also another good group on Facebook called IBDKitties

7. Jan D & Squeaky

Thanks Chris and China, I signed up for that one, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.