Anyone in Denver, Colorado?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by DammitDeb, Jul 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DammitDeb

DammitDeb Member

I'm on the southeast side of Denver, not far from the Dayton Rail Station. I've been in Denver almost a year and a half and it's been tough finding people I have things in common with...like my diabetic kitty.

I was laid off 2.5 months into a tech contract this year. Yep...I've only worked 2.5 months this entire year, which definitely benefitted my cat. I'm waiting doting on him like never before. His back legs stopped working 2 weeks ago, which annoys me because my vet didn't seem bothered when it started happening. I lost a cat a few years ago because of a horrendous vet. My point is, I hate vets.

My goal is to give him enough B12 vitamins that in a few months once I get him regulated (which is why I'm here) he should be able to walk again.

Attached Files:

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Putting your original text from announcements here. This is the forum where you introduce yourself.

Deb's content follows:
    Hi. I guess this is where I introduce myself since apparently I'm unable to do it anywhere else. I don't have privileges to just post a thread introducing myself and can only reply. I also don't have privileges to edit my profile as suggested, which is odd. I just joined a few minutes ago.

I had 2 lynx siamese cats. One I lost last week due to diabetes complications and had to put him down. It was horrendous----I had no support system, so I had to see him die at the vet by myself. I switched vets because my previous vet wasn't catching any of this and they contributed to his death by not giving a damn. They just wanted me to continue getting all tests done in their office and to pay constantly, which was sickening.

I had a checkup in August for my 15 year old siamese kitty where I paid through the NOSE for vaccinations, teeth cleaning, and a checkup to catch anything weird like this. They said he was fine although he was losing weight. After my 1st cat died and I realized humans aren't told to just go to the doctor every few months for a blood test to guesstimate how much insulin to take in order to live (because they'll die that way!) I switched vets. That vet ran tests the previous vet should have done and diagnosed him with diabetes also. They also claimed the previous vet didn't really clean his teeth and they want to clean his teeth again for me. I've moved to many cities for jobs as an analyst in tech fields and Indianapolis has the absolute worst veterinarians I've ever come across in my entire life.

Oh, also...my 15 year old cat who's been diagnosed with diabetes also has asthma. I have asthma and also have one of those Aerokat type containers, so I give him a few puffs of my Albuteral when absolutely necessary. I'm not sure if there's anything else someone could recommend. My cat, Bailey, has always had asthma and it's not a heart issue nor is it heartworm---it's asthma. He had steroid injections (not even very much---maybe 5 total over time) to stop his asthma attacks, which must be how he obtained diabetes.

Any guidance would be appreciated. I can copy/paste this elsewhere if you'd like but I would like to have the proper permissions to do so, as well as the proper permissions to update my profile please so people don't think I'm a troll.

Thanks,

Deb.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

1. Hi my cat had neuropathy, this is what I used and many others members because it's cheaper than Zobaline

Hi Here is the link https://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-vitamin-b-12-methylcobalamin-5000-mcg-100-capsules-6

Alot of members use this , I use it myself you can buy it on line from Vitacost
      Vitamin B-12 Methylcobalamin -- 5000 mcg - 100 Capsules
      It's 17.99 just be sure this is the one you buy
      The only difference is the Zobaline has 200 mcgs of folic acid
      So I buy the folic acid at the supermarket and crush it up and add it to the B-12
      If you can't find the 200 mcg get the 400 mcg and cut it in half
      The Vitacost brand is a capsule so just open it and pour the powder on the wet food
      Has no taste, no need to crush it up
      The Zobaline is 33.99 for 60 pills, too expensive
      I saw a big improvement I'd say 3 months, could be sooner. One capsule a day

Vitamin B-12 Methylcobalamin -- 5000 mcg - 100 Capsules
      • SKU #: 835003001804
      • Shipping Weight: 0.23 lb
      • Servings: 100
      [​IMG]

Would you like to set up your signature and spreadsheet in case you need help with dosing or anything else

Make sure your signature is up-to-date.
      • On the left, under Settings, Click on Signature. This is where you will put information that helps us give you feedback.
        • There is a limit of two lines which may include two links; you may separate pieces with commas, dashes, | etc. This is where you paste the link for your spreadsheet, once it is set up.
        • Add any other text, such as
        • Caregiver & kitty's name (optional)
        • DX: Date
        • Name of Insulin
        • Name of your meter
        • Diet: "LC wet" or "dry food" or "combo"
        • Dosing: TR or SLGS or Custom (if applicable)
        • DKA or other recent health issue (if applicable)
        • Acro, IAA, or Cushings (if applicable)
        • Spreadsheet link. Please put the signature link on the bottom line of your signature information, on its own, so it is easy to find.
        • Please do not put any information about your location in the signature for security reasons. If you wish to add your country location, please add it to your profile.
      Be sure to click the 'Save Changes' button at the bottom. If you need help urgently it is important we know these things at a glance. We don’t want to waste valuable time finding out information.

Tyler’sSpreadsheet [​IMG]

1. https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

Here is the link on how to set up your spreadsheet to enter you cats BG numbers
      If you need help we have a wonderful member that will do it for you
      Just post it here if you need help. By the way Bailey is adorable

Tyler’s Spreadsheet

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  4. Patty & Teal'c

Patty & Teal'c Member

I just want to say I love the picture of your furbaby holding the purple kitty. Too cute.

5. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh what an adorable picture!

Patty & Teal'c likes this.
  6. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

OHMIGOODNESS!! Kitty sleeping with a purple kitty.. precious! I'm not from Denver.. sorry. You sound like you've had a rough time. Sorry about your bad experiences with vets!

Patty & Teal'c likes this.
  7. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Maybe someone lives in Deb's location and can recommend a vet they go to and are happy with them

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.