Anyone in Austin, TX area need a recently opened vial of prozinc

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by JeremyC, Sep 11, 2023.

1. JeremyC

JeremyC New Member

Hoping this can go to someone who needs it.
    Our baby went hypo over the weekend and passed away after a few hours in the ER. I have a large vial (800 units) of provzinc (along with some syringes) that I'd be happy to hand over to someone. This would be preferable for a higher dose cat (we were 5 units twice a day) since Prozinc's statement of efficacy on this vial is 80 days from the time of first puncture.
    Will be posting this in a couple of places (and will update once gone), just because I'd love for it to land in someone's hands who needs it. Unfortunately, I've got no way to ship, but don't mind driving anywhere in my geographic vicinity.

2. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

I am so so sorry Jeremy

3. JeremyC

JeremyC New Member

Thank you. We had him about 12 years and treated diabetes for about the last four, so I feel like we were fortunate to have those additional years.

4. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

Wow. I’m so sorry. But obviously you were good cat parents. Was there something else going on to make him go hypo? I feel like some days I’m not as much on my toes after all this time it becomes routine. I guess i can never let my guard down. May you find peace and god bless

5. JeremyC

JeremyC New Member

In our case, he had swelled some fuzz from a pillow that another pet tore up. We got it all out and went to the vet and got x-rays to confirm and all looked good. Two days normal and then hypo event. ER thinks maybe there was some small amounts left in there that didn't show up on the x-ray that may have affected digestion. It may have also just been related to the stress of the whole thing.

We had a hypo event a couple of years back when he went into remission (or near remission...he went to 1 unit twice a day for about 6 months and then started moving back up), but fortunately that time we caught it very quickly and got him to the hospital right away.

I've always thought there has to be a better way than checking curves every few months (because things like remission will catch you unaware). I have heard of some people getting freestyle libre and replacing them every 14 days. Seems to me that might be a good approach, but have no practical experience with it, so don't know. That being said, lots of people have cats that get a certain level and just stay there. Buddy was always a bit of a weird case in that we'd usually adjust a half unit or so (sometimes down, more often up) at nearly every set of curves. Vet did liver/kidney panels and some other testing, but could never find anything that would cause those changes.