(answered in main health section) Dosage question - to reduce?

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by thornmallow__, Mar 2, 2024.

1. thornmallow__

thornmallow__ Member

Falafel has been on 2 units of Vetsulin once a day, given at around 11:30am, since she was diagnosed on Thursday (2/29). Today her blood sugar went to 125 mg/dL at +6, and she exhibited some mild symptoms - less hungry, seemed a little shaky on her legs, and exhibited mild trembling (I would say she was a little shivery).

I tested 20 minutes later after giving NutriCal and syringe feeding a few mLs of food. She went up to 152. Another 20 minutes later, she ate a little bit on her own and her level was at 170.

Based on the limited data I have (only started monitoring yesterday), her nadir seems around +6. I am scared to give the same dose tomorrow, I want to reduce the dosage to 1 unit in the morning and then 1 at night after doing the test, feed, wait steps.

What do you all think my next steps should be? Is reducing the way to go?

Since she was recently diagnosed, I am trying to wait out this weekend with some stability. I am getting a second opinion from another vet on Monday so I can switch to a different form of insulin.

Edit: Want to add that since Monday of last week she has been eating exclusively Fancy Feast pate. The dosage of 2 units was prescribed by her vet - he is old school and doesn't believe in home testing, etc. so that is why I am seeking a second opinion on Monday.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2024
  2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Tagging @Suzanne & Darcy for you. She has a better knowledge of vetsulin that I do.
    Try posting in the Health Forum as well. There are more eyes in Health.

thornmallow__ likes this.
  3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member