Anivive Trial

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by FrostD, Jun 15, 2021.

1. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Jaime & Mowgli likes this.
  2. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

Please share what you learn from them!

FrostD likes this.
  3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Would be interesting to hear which researchers are involved, as well as which type of drugs. They are a commercial company, so obviously not just doing it out of the goodness of their hearts. But Dr. David Bruyette is involved in the company, and he has a long history with diabetes, acromegaly and Cushings.

Here's the link about their study on Feline diabetes and genetics: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/study-on-feline-genetics-and-diabetes.232958/

FrostD likes this.
  4. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Oh I remember this, just didn't put two and two together.

I'll share whatever I hear about it.

5. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

It is going to be run by Anivive vs any outside academic institution or company. As per Dr Bruyette, they are still working on the actual formulation for the novel Drug so it could be a year before they are ready to move forward with the study.

It is good if people sign up for emails and express interest. Hopefully, if they have contact info, it will allow them to move to the next steps quickly when they are ready to proceed :).

Suzanne & Darcy, Howiesmom and FrostD like this.
  6. varlene

varlene Member

I submitted an application for the AniviveTrial on 5/12/2021 and received a confirmation email, but nothing since then. Emails to "contact@anitrial.com" bounce back and voicemails that I have left at the phone number shown on their website have gone unreturned.

7. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

They most likely will not contact you with more information until they have specific information to actually give to people. I’m not sure what the situation with their phone # or general email is. They are still formulating the novel drug so there really is not much to share.
    Again, as per Dr Bruyette it is going to be about a year to get the actual drug ready.

varlene likes this.
  8. varlene

varlene Member

I read that AniviveTrial had sent out DNA test kits and results for qualified cats, which is what I was most interested in. Not sure how I would feel about volunteering my cat for a drug trial.

9. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

I can only speak to what was shared with me Re: the current status of the trial for the novel drug vs what has already been done.

I certainly understand the concern about participating in a drug trial. It is definitely not a path for everyone:) and then sometimes, it is is a very desired path, however a cat is unable to participate because they don’t meet the requirements :(. In my opinion, it is worth getting the information, asking questions and then being able to make a more informed decision. It is often about calculated risk taking & dependent on a specific situation. Sometimes the current situation and potential benefits outweigh or warrant the potential risk, while other times, they just do not.

10. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I completely agree with you Amy. With acros, there isn’t much out there in the way of affordable, convenient treatment. We had some kitties start cabergoline here when it was still being trialled in the UK. I had asked about side effects, and there were few. It was a drug already given to cats, but for another reason. So the risks were fairly well understood. Anyway, the first person to try it with their kitty saw him go OTJ within weeks. A lot of the other caregivers have seen benefits, such that it’s a better alternTive than no treatment. One can only hope the new drug is even better. I know RVC was working closely with doctors working with human acromegaly patients, so there are still options out there.

11. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Some of the US endos are doing the same as the RVC. It is all part of the larger One Health movement where there is crossover and shared data between veterinary and human medicine. It makes a lot of sense and the two disciplines are able to help each other vs reinventing the wheel if info already exists. I highly recommend that people who are not near a U setting with one of the specialized vet endocrinologists, reach out for consults if their vet is willing to do it (or find one who is wiling to do it if the current vet is unwilling to do so :rolleyes:). It is worth it to at least present the case and ask what is available or what they might be able to offer, specifically and especially with cases where alternative options are financially out of reach or the pet parent is not interested in pursuing them for other reasons.

It is very nice when the risks of a drug for a cat are fairly understood:). Based on the info out there, studies and experience, the drug clearly can be helpful with some cats...which ones exactly is not known yet, but to your point, sometimes, depending on the specific situation, trying something can be better than doing absolutely nothing.

Even when the risks are not known, depending on what the situation is with a specific cat, there can be equal or possibly more risk by choosing to do nothing. I think it is fair to say that it is equally important to understand the reality & actual level of risk of doing nothing vs the risks of trying a new drug or treatment. We ultimately have to reconcile and accept that we are making the best decisions given all of the information/treatments currently available or unavailable, the realities of the medical problem & it’s complications and then literally be able to take ourselves off the hook if something goes wrong. Realistically, it is ultimately the condition at fault for the outcome. However, I can also understand & appreciate that, for some people, actively choosing to try something despite knowing there is either unknown risk or even a level of known risk, puts them in a position where they will ultimately feel responsible and blame themselves vs. the disease state for any poor outcome :(. The decisions are definitely very challenging.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.