Angel’s journey

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Celi, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Celi

Celi Member

She was PMBG 185 at 6:15 and PMBG 176 at 6:20.
    Link to Need Advice

Deb & Wink likes this.
  2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

No. But here is the link for future reference.
    Need advice

How to link a previous thread into a new thread. Or link another document into a thread and/or post.

You have to highlight the title of the thread you want to link. From outside of the thread itself. In this case, from the Prozinc ISG forum. Highlight the title with your cursor and press Ctrl C simultaneously. That "copies" what you have highlighted with your cursor. It's now on your clipboard.

Start your new thread. Or start your reply to a previous post.

Then click on the little chain icon, in the editing tools at the top of the post window, 7th over from the B for bold.
    A box pops up, and that is where you copy your URL link. I use the shortcut keystrokes of Ctrl V on my windows laptop. To "paste" the link from my clipboard.
    Then click on the word "Insert" and the link should be there in your post, highlighted in blue text.

Hope that was a good enough explanation. I do it so often, it's second nature to me and I don't have to think much about how to include a link.

Look at this thread, 2nd post down, for other tips on using the forum software.
    Sticky HOW-TO USE THE FDMB: The Basics

3. Deb & Wink

That's kind of high. I think Angel needs insulin for just a bit longer.
    Have you been practicing the drop dosing technique?

Celi and Juls and Billy like this.
  4. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

It is high, but then she went down to 53 on a feline meter. So I'm stumped. Perry, I don't know those foods she's eating very well. What's the calories from carbs on them? Is there any difference in what she's eating on days where she's hitting higher BGLs and days when she's in the low 100s? Have you tried going lower calories from carbs foods, or slightly higher calories from carbs foods than what she's eating now? How many times a day is she eating? Are you making sure she eats nothing 2 hours pre test for the AM and PM BGL?

Deb's right about the drop dosing being something to try. You want a hard remission. I do think you should monitor closely since she's dropping so low. You could also try playing with the carb content of her food and see if that makes a difference.

Deb & Wink and Celi like this.
  5. Celi

Celi Member

AMBG. 154. I gave her one drop of insulin. Her foods range from 2% to 7% carbs on a DMB. I record what she eats and can't tell that her numbers are lower with the lower carb foods but I will give her the Wellness Tiny Tasters 2 % exclusively for awhile and see if that helps. She can’t have FF because it has too much phosphorus for her since she has CKD as well as diabetes. Have to balance the diseases and the Wellness and Weruva seem to work for that. I use Andrew Hall’s lists as well as Tanya’s lists for reference. I will test her a couple of times before this evening and see where we are.

Juls and Billy and Deb & Wink like this.
  6. Deb & Wink

I'm not familiar with Andrew Hall's lists. Would you include a link here, and I'll add that to my bookmarks? Surely would appreciate it.

Know about Tanya's.

Your plan sounds good. Keep us posted.

Is Angel still getting the Young Again Zero Mature like your signature says? Had another cat here using Prozinc, eliminated that from the diet and the BG levels dropped.

Celi likes this.
  7. Celi

Celi Member

Angel eats very little Young Again. She prefers wet and I just got it for free choice for my other cats since it has 0 carbs and I hope to prevent this disease in my other two. Just got a reading of 71 at +5. Her pattern seems to be high in morning and lower during the day. I will try to find the link to Andrew Hall’s lists. Got the info from the Feline Diabetes group. Chris usually posts it for newbies.

8. Celi

Celi Member

The food lists Andrew Hall has compiled are for CFKD but apply here too. www. CKDCatFoods.xyz or Drive.Google.com Feline CKD Food Lists

9. Deb & Wink

Neither one of those are links, so I still can't get to them.

So you need to copy the URL, then click on the little chain icon in the post editing tools, 7th one over from the B (for bold), then put the URL you copied in the box that pops up on the screen and click on the wordINSERT. That will put a link in the post here.

Would you try that please?

10. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

This was Billy's pattern as well. With Bill, it seemed to be because he was eating less at night. Making sure he had food at least twice during the PM cycle seemed to help.

Celi and Deb & Wink like this.
  11. Celi

Celi Member

I will do that. PMBG 140. Gave her 1 drop

Deb & Wink likes this.
  12. Deb & Wink

How about saying 1 drop in the dosing Units column on the SS? Makes it more obvious, than the period you have in there now.

Celi likes this.
  13. Celi

Celi Member

AMBG 105. No insulin given.

14. Deb & Wink

Whoo Whoo! Way to go Angel!!!!!:D

Celi likes this.
  15. Celi

Celi Member

Juls and Billy got me thinking I needed to analyze her food better. All her food is low carb but carb content varies from 2% to 7%. That is not a big difference but maybe it makes a dif to Angel’s pancreas. So my strategy of the day is to feed the lowest carb food at night since she tends to be high in the morning and the higher carb food in the morning since she is often low mid day. There has to be a key here somewhere! I am thankful every day for all the help I get from this group!
    BTW I am still trying to find a way to send Andrew Hall’s food lists. My computer skills are pretty rudimentary as you may have noticed.

16. Deb & Wink

You said that Chris Ronkowski linked the list for you? From the facebook group?
    I'll tag @Chris & China (GA) here, and see if she answers. She is an administrator in our sister Feline Diabetes facebook group.

Hey Chris, do you have the link to Andrew Hall's food lists for CKD cats?

Celi likes this.
  17. Deb & Wink

Did some hunting on facebook and found a link to what I think their website is

Is this it Perry?
    https://www.fckd.center/diet

But it justs points me to Tanya's website.
    I can't find a link to any lists by Andrew Hall specifically.

Juls and Billy likes this.
  18. Celi

Celi Member

It may be but I think it is Feline CKD food lists

Deb & Wink likes this.
  19. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

These are what I find

Juls and Billy, Celi and Deb & Wink like this.
  20. Deb & Wink

Thanks Chris, appreciate the links. I've bookmarked them.

Chris & China (GA) and Celi like this.
  21. Celi

Celi Member

PMBG 106! I am visualizing her little pancreas pumping out insulin.

22. Deb & Wink

Love that positive visualization!

Celi likes this.
  23. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

Go Angel!

24. Celi

Celi Member

AMBG 140. No insulin this morning but if she is up this evening, I will give her a drop. I will also test mid-cycle. Only change from the day before is I fed her a small meal last night at 9pm. Which I didn’t do the day before. I am determined to figure this out!

25. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

Perry, you are doing great. Just keep in mind that the issue isn't necessarily anything you've done or can control. Yes, it's excellent to pay attention to what kind of food is given when, and see if there's a correlation. But don't fret if there isn't one. The difference in BGLs could simply be down to how much insulin Angel's pancreas decided to make that day. I'm convinced Angel is headed for remission, just keep giving her that drop during times her pancreas decides it needs a tad more help. And certainly keep up the good work with the food tracking. It might very well make a difference, it certainly made a difference with my Billy. Just don't get frustrated if you don't see an obvious pattern. The pancreas is a strange and mysterious thing. Not even human diabetic docs can completely predict what it's going to do next.

26. Celi

Celi Member

No testing yesterday. Had a strip malfunction and the second stick didn’t get a reading either. Two sticks at a time is my limit so
    I decided to give us a break for the day. Today AMBG 202 gave .1U. I appreciate the words of encouragement and we will keep working at it.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  27. Deb & Wink

Still following along with you and Angel, as you try those tiny doses of insulin. You are trying your best. Always remember that.

Perry, some days you just have to keep plugging away, even if things are not going right.
    Sorry to hear the test strips are giving you a problem.
    Is there a specific error code you are getting?

Even if you did not get a successful BG test, if you could put that fact on the SS and a note that the test was a failure, for future reference.

28. Celi

Celi Member

PMBG 101! Yeah!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  29. Deb & Wink

30. Celi

Celi Member

AMBG 115 Practically perfect!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  31. Celi

Celi Member

PMBG 138. Gave her 1 drop.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  32. Deb & Wink

Good job.

Celi likes this.
  33. Celi

Celi Member

AMBG. 164 .1U Seems like we are very inconsistent....

Deb & Wink and TempestsMum like this.
  34. Celi

Celi Member

+6 BG 74. PMBG 128 no insulin

TempestsMum and Deb & Wink like this.
  35. Celi

Celi Member

AMBG 179. .1U but may have been a fur shot

Deb & Wink likes this.
  36. Celi

Celi Member

PMBG. 100!

TempestsMum and Deb & Wink like this.
  37. Deb & Wink

So with that PMBG of 100, it's looking less like a fur shot at AMPS.

Angels' spreadsheet is looking good.

Celi and TempestsMum like this.
  38. Celi

Celi Member

4/17 AMBG 156 .1U PMBG 154 .1U
    4/18 AMBG 204 .1U
    I plan to test mid cycle today.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  39. Celi

Celi Member

+4 59 Here we go again. Maybe need to go back to 1 drop?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  40. Deb & Wink

Yes, back to 1 drop of insulin Perry. That 59 BG was an automatic dose reduction.

Make sure you feed Angel a bit of food, to bring that low BG back up again, to a safer level.

Celi likes this.
  41. Celi

Celi Member

i did give her some food right after I tested, some of her TT 6% carb. instead of the TT 2% carb. she had for breakfast. Just tested again at +9.5 and she was 113. Another small meal since she was begging and won’t be tested again for 2.5 hours.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  42. Celi

Celi Member

PMBG 106! I sure can’t figure this out. I thought she would be high this evening since she was 113 at +9.5. No insulin for sure.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  43. Deb & Wink

She's being a cat. An unpredictable and confusing cat.

Celi likes this.
  44. Celi

Celi Member

AMBG 205. 1 drop insulin.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  45. Deb & Wink

Angel is being a very bouncy kitty, even on 1 drop of Prozinc insulin.

Celi likes this.
  46. Celi

Celi Member

She was 79 at +6 and her PMBG was 133 so I don’t know whether to give her a drop or not?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  47. Deb & Wink

I'm not sure either.

Some questions to ask yourself include:
    Are you able to stay up and test later tonight? Several times?
    How consistent and accurate do you think you are with that 1 drop dose?
    Do you have enough test strips, and some food in your hypo kit if Angel drops low?
    Can you set an alarm and wake up to test during the night? Guaranteed to not sleep through that wake up alarm?
    Can you get a +2 tonight? (Every night would be nice to have that +2.

When you skip, Angel sometimes, not always, but sometimes bounces back up to the yellows at AM pre-shot the next day.
    But you don't want her to drop too, too low and have a hypo if you are sleeping.

It's a judgement call Perry. Your choice. You know Angel and your situation better than we ever will.

I know what I'm able to do, but my choice is not your choice. Nor should my choice be your choice.

48. Celi

Celi Member

I will give her 1 drop. I think I am getting it right. I will test this evening and during the night. If I skip,
    I know she will be high in the morning. Thanks for your help.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  49. Deb & Wink

OK. Hope some of those questions helped you.

Celi likes this.
  50. Celi

Celi Member

They did help but now I am beginning to doubt that i am giving the 1 drop accurately. It is hard for me to measure but all I can do is try. I just tested at +3 and she was 126. So maybe I didn’t get a drop in her. I will test again later tonight.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  51. Celi

Celi Member

Actually she was 126@+2 and 127@+4 last night. AMBG. 202 .1U
    81@+7 and PMBG 162. Gave 1-2 drops, not sure.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  52. Celi

Celi Member

AMBG 147 less than .1 U. +5 BG 67 Ate good meal.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  53. Deb & Wink

Even on the 1+ drops of insulin, Angel is dropping too low.
    According to our protocols for Prozinc, you should reduce the dose.
    But that would mean giving 0 (zero) insulin.

You ready to try that again? Stopping the insulin?

Celi likes this.
  54. Celi

Celi Member

I will see what her BG is this evening but certainly willing to try again! She has only had the lowest carb food in the pantry since the 19th in my experiment to see if 2% carbs. makes a difference. Her other food is 6% to 7% carbs. That is still less than the recommended under 10% but maybe it makes a difference to her. A work in progress! I ordered a standing magnifier today to help me be more accurate with the very small doses if I need to give insulin again.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  55. Celi

Celi Member

PMBP 102 Here we go again! I trust your good judgment and hope for the best.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  56. Deb & Wink

Keeping all paws crossed here for Angel to stay low. Don't give any insulin, even if the BG numbers are higher in the morning or for a few cycles. We'll see what her BG readings are in a few days.

p.s. If Angel isn't getting the YA Zero Mature, would you update your signature to reflect that fact please.

Celi likes this.
  57. Celi

Celi Member

She gets it as a snack between meals free choice, just not within 2 hours of testing. The amount varies from day to day but it us not a main part of her diet as it is for my other two.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  58. Celi

Celi Member

AMBG 191. This one I think I can explain. I forgot to pick up the YA last night and she got up around 5 and came to the kitchen. I am sure she ate some before I came in and tested her at 6:30. H

Deb & Wink likes this.
  59. Celi

Celi Member

+7 92. PMBG 110. Every time we have good readings like this, I get my hopes up!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  60. Deb & Wink

Ok, so you think you know the reason for the high BG reading this morning. So don't restart the insulin just yet, and see how Angel does for a few more days.

Celi likes this.
  61. Celi

Celi Member

AMBG 202. Did everything right last night so who knows? +6 69 Fed Wellness TT chicken. And this was with no insulin

Deb & Wink likes this.
  62. Celi

Celi Member

PMBG 142

Deb & Wink likes this.
  63. Deb & Wink

Saw your note on the SS, that Angel ate some YA before the pre-shot test on 4/23.
    Is there a way to take away the YA, and see if that will bring Angel's BG readings back to <100 mg/dL?

Leave out some of the canned food overnight instead.
    Angel would not be the first cat I've encountered, where the YA raised the BG numbers. Even though it's supposed to be low or zero carb, some cats react to the Young Again as if it were higher carb.

I know this can be tough, as your other 2 cats eat the Young Again.

p.s. Please start a new thread in the morning, since this one is getting long.

Celi likes this.
  64. Celi

Celi Member

Deb & Wink likes this.
  65. Celi

Celi Member

New thread called Angel’s Antics. I still don’t know how to link the threads...

Deb & Wink likes this.