An Important P.S.A. from Latte (in spirit)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by carolynandlatte, Feb 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

Five years ago tonight marks the evening I came home from a week long trip to find Latte VERY, VERY sick. Five years ago tomorrow marks the day she was diagnosed with acute renal failure due to metacam. On Valentines Day 2007 it is written in her chart, “Grave Prognosis. Will contact owner to discuss euthanasia options”. Latte lived another 3.5yrs (GA 7/17/2010), despite multiple health issues that arose after the ARF. She did not leave this world specifically because of the kidney failure. She left because she was ready to move on.

Each year at this time I have always made a point to share her story with others in hopes to prevent the kind of situation we went through. Even though she is no longer with us in a physical form, it is a no brainer that in her honor I continue sharing our story.

I must admit, so fresh into the loss, I cannot go into great detail of what we went through. Maybe in the years to come. Some of it may be found in this post last year, where we had a party for her in Lantus Land ISG: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5866&hilit=metacam In short, I took Latte to the vet because she had a few out of the normal aggressive moments with me. Aside from her shots as a kitten, and a round of medicine for ringworm, she had not been to the vet for 14yrs. She was always healthy. After labs revealing nothing (this included normal kidney values), and xrays showing mild arthritis the vet thought she might be constipated which was making her grouchy. It was thought if she took some pain medicine she would have an easier time going to the bathroom. Made sense to me. I was given a few choices and told metacam was the best new drug. Of course the vet knew best. That was their job, right? I didnt research it. I just gave it. Fast forward a few weeks later and I was about to lose Latte.

I was beside myself, that I gave my cat a medicine without even looking up information on it. I would NEVER do that for myself. I was horrified with what I read, in the aftermath. Not just about metacam, but many other drugs that are given recklessly (no warnings, little regard for dose, etc). So, I spent the last four years trying to educate cat owners on metacam, and pushing the fda to investigate the need for a black box warning, along with warnings about dosage. Its was quite an uphill battle, politically. Two months from the day Latte left, the black box warning was issues.

This post is not meant to specifically target metacam, though due to my experience it is used as an example. I want mine and Latte’s message to be about educating all pet owners. Take the time to ask your vet questions. Take the time to research the tx options they are offering you. Certainly every option/medication is going to have a risk. Weigh the pro’s and con’s. Make an informed decision. Be the driver of your pet’s health. Vets are not ALL bad. But most vets are into general practice. They cannot know everything about everything. Form a good relationship with them and your input will be invaluable.

One request from anyone reading this… I would ask that you click on the link in my signature (http://www.metacamkills.com). Please Read one or two (or more) accounts of other cat's who had similar situations to Latte. Notice a theme...owners not being being informed of what to look for if an adverse reaction is happening OR even that an adverse reaction can happen, AND overdosing.

With that information please, in honor of Latte...
    1. Always ask your vet for information on any new medication they want to give your cat. If they dont/wont (get a new vet, LOL), look it up online and ask others. BE AWARE OF POTENTIAL ADVERSE REACTIONS SO YOU CAN GET IMMEDIATE HELP IF YOU SEE ANY! (sorry for the caps, but so important). Just like you would not give your cat insulin w/o testing, why would you want to give your cat a medicine w/o checking. Ask your vet for choices/alternatives of any medicine.
    2. Always check the dose your vet is giving you to what is recommended (easy to find this online).
    3. Spread the word to your friends and families with animals....to keep themselves informed.

I will ask that this post not become a battle ground over metacam. Nor that it necessarily be a 'memorial' for Latte (as I might end up crying too much). Rather it just be a story, and a message to educate owners and save our furbabies from unnecessary harm. Thank you for letting us share!

****The link to the party video in the LL condo didnt seem to work the other day when I tried. So I got it hooked up with you tube! its kind of long...and some of the video is sad (in her sick days with the ARF). But some of it is kind of fun. ANd well, she was my girl. Gotta show her off! ;-) All of it is during or post arf. Watch some or all if you like. She was the princess warrior! :mrgreen:
    [youtube]rdeWFqRteOo[/youtube]

2. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

what a beautiful post, carolyn...and great information...

thank you...

3. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

I thank you for this my vet wanted to give DL metacam just recently and said a very firm NO

4. sehjak (Susan & Lanky)

sehjak (Susan & Lanky) Well-Known Member

Carolyn & Latte - hearts & spirits are with you always. Love, Susan & Lanky

5. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

I agree, a beautiful post and montage. Thank you for sharing. She is saving lives. Sending hugs.

6. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Steph & Cuddles (GA) Well-Known Member

(((((Carolyn))))) Thanks for keeping her story out there, and pushing to keep other kitties safe!

7. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Having been on this road with one of my kitties I cannot thank you enough for all your efforts - for all those kitties - for all of us - to make sure we are all educated, informed, and know the value of questions when we are in doubt. I am glad that you will share your story once again. It does make a difference.

In honor of Latte, and perhaps in honor too of my guy, whom I lost to metacam, and my being uninformed. I am so glad that you have posted this. Thank you for sharing. Thank you for all your hard work, and perseverance.

8. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

I, too, thank you for fighting, and educating, and sharing. Just as we have had to learn to be our own advocates with our doctors, we must be vigilant advocates for our kitties.

The more vets see informed, active beans, the more used to it they will be, and I hope the more they will work with us.

Thank you, and thank you, Latte.

9. Emmy & Dude

Emmy & Dude Well-Known Member

Bless you, Carolyn, and bless beautiful Latte who, so tragically, showed so many what can happen. My heart goes out to you as I see again your beautiful montage about your girl. She was so beautiful and so loved - and she loved so much in return. It is NOT in vain if she has been able to save other kitties from her fate - keep her story out there always - as a reminder to each of us to be so vigilant and careful.

Thank you for reliving your pain by trying to help others.

Sending many, many comforting hugs and prayers your way and knowing that your beautiful girl is looking down on you with love as she runs free and young.

Emmy & Dude (& Mittsi too)

10. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Oh Carolyn. To start my day with tears. I wanted to read the whole party condo again, but didn't have time this morning, I'm going to read it tonight after work though, but I did watch the video again, twice. We Love You Latte.
    Carolyn, you do such a good job with those videos. And you have been a hero, and You Are Our Hero, as far as getting attenton to the dangers of Metacam, for all the long fight you did, and for all you did for your girl Latte. Bless You.
    Thank you for taking the time to write his post, and thank you for continuing to post in FDMB.
    :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

11. judy and squamee(GA)

judy and squamee(GA) Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing that video. What a magnificent cat!

12. Amy'sWinston (GA)

Amy'sWinston (GA) Member

Knowing you and your precious Latte...Princess Huff & Puff....Princess Warrior.... changed me and my fur-babies. From knowing you both and learning your story Jack & Lya have labels on their files at the vet that say "No Metacam!" and now as we get new meds my mantra is, "What are the side effects?" "Are there any other options that would work?"

Thank you for all you've done in educating people to ask questions and make informed decisions!

I will watch the video when I'm home tonight and can cry without worrying about people walking by my office! :) And I will light a candle in her honor tonight next to her picture...

She was a shining spirit and you do her honor.... I am SO grateful that I knew her and that you trusted me to backup care for her. You have taught me much, Carolyn...in many, many ways.

13. Gail & Houdini (GA)

Gail & Houdini (GA) Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful tribute and keeping the message out there. We have so many new people coming all the time that it just can't be said enough. I'm certain that it has already saved many lives and made all of us more cautious.

Bless you Carolyn and your beautiful girl Latte

14. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

Sweet Latte. Memories of her make me smile, yet make me sad for all you and she went through. She was indeed the warrior princess and you made sure she had the time of her life. Every moment was treasured, that came through in all of your posts, and this PSA is such a nice way to honor her memory.

15. Denise & Oreo (GA)

Denise & Oreo (GA) Member

Thank you for your strength and desire to help others in once again reminding us of the dangers of not asking questions about our furbabies' care as we do our own. Latte's spirit lives on through you. She is smiling proudly at her mommabean for sharing her story and continuing to save the lives of others.

16. Harley and Pattie

Harley and Pattie Well-Known Member

Thank you Carolyn, that was a beautiful video of Latte. What a lovely girl. This information needs to be spread and this is a great way to do it.

Pattie

17. Suzanne + Nemo (GA)

Suzanne + Nemo (GA) Member

Thank you for your courage and for continuing Latte's spirit in the best way possible.

18. Cheryl & Whiskers (GA)

Cheryl & Whiskers (GA) Member

Hi Carolyn,

Thank for sharing Latte's story with us. :YMHUG: cat_pet_icon .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.