? AMPS 588/PMPS 534 - Kaz

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Claire and Kaz, Apr 18, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claire and Kaz

Claire and Kaz Member

Hi Bron

I am on cycle 5 this morning with cycle 6 coming up later this evening as I have been home for the past two days I have tested more and I did increase the dose to 1.75 units per your advice.

Seemed like the numbers were beginning to decrease but this mornings BG was the highest it's ever been.
    I have been giving him more DM and less Tiki but I think maybe I need to do the opposite.

I will stick with the 1.75 units for this evenings shot but this will be cycle 6.
    As of tomorrow I have to go back to work and on Friday I will be gone all day (usually work from home but have Jury Duty hoping Kaz's condition might get me out of it).

Claire

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

When you say you have to go back to work, do you mean you are working at home or actually going out to work?
    With jury duty….you can say you have a diabetic cat that is just covering from diabetic ketoacidosis and needs constant attention at the moment and monitoring to keep him safe and you can’t possibly concentrate on anything else at the moment…..they probably wouldn’t want you hopefully.

3. Claire and Kaz

Claire and Kaz Member

I work from home Fridays then the weekend and today is Patriots Day (Massachusetts holiday) which my company does not recognize but its also the Boston Marathon so most streets around me are closed off so I am working from home today as well but tomorrow I have to be back on site then as I said this Friday Jury Duty.
    I will tell them what you said and hopefully that will do the trick.

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Here is your last thread for continuity.
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/kaz-amps-532-ketones-0-8-help.261952/#post-2939043

I think if you only gave him the tiki, he would probably be in lower numbers like he was on 4/9 but we really want to make sure he is getting enough insulin at the moment because of the recent DKA so I would keep feeding as you are, even though it is keeping the BGs higher.
    He does need a dose increase up to 2 units after the 6 cycles, providing he doesn’t drop into blue numbers tonight.
    How will you manage the food though if you have to go to work from tomorrow?

5. Claire and Kaz

Claire and Kaz Member

There is nothing I can do about food during the day till I get the Meowspace and train him how to use it.
    I have to go to work everyone I do know works or lives way too far a way and my family is in another country so he is going to have deal with this for the next week till this device gets here.

I can not allow myself to get ill every time I leave my house I have a job that requires me to be on site I can not work from home. Again I am doing the best I can. I have said this over and over its not going to change. Without the job I would not be able to afford the extra food let alone all the insulin/test strips/etc.

This is how it has to be right now please don't make me feel guilty.

I can't take vacation as I then would not have enough for my trips to the UK plus my client would not be happy as I need to be on site to make sure all the projects are running smoothly.

I'm trying the best I can.

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I totally get this. I’m just checking to see what will happen that’s all.
    I certainly don’t want to make you feel guilty at all. I’m trying to help you sort out a solution.
    I know you have the feeder coming later this week or the next week which is great.
    I think I would just feed him the DM on the days you have to leave for the day.
    Do you have to leave straight away after the dose, or can you give him another snack before you leave?

Claire and Kaz likes this.
  7. Claire and Kaz

Claire and Kaz Member

I usually leave within 15 minutes of giving the dose but when I go into work I usually give him more food right after the injection which he will eat.
    Tomorrow I have three back to back meetings staring at 7.30am all of which I run so I have very little wiggle room.
    I have been giving Tiki pre shot (usually chicken as hes finally eating this again) and the DM about 1/3 can (10% carb).

8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

When you are away all day I would just give the DM as a Preshot meal as well, if you can to make sure he has enough carbs aboard while you are gone.

9. Claire and Kaz

Claire and Kaz Member

Hi Bron

I can definitely do that. So tomorrow you want me to basically give him 2/3rds large can of the DM Select (1/3 can prior to the insulin then 1/3 after the insulin).

I thought that part of the reason Kaz's numbers were running so high was because of the carbs and that if I cut the carbs back down then maybe the BG would come back into the 300's still high but more acceptable. Every time I think I'm understanding it the line seems to move.

Anyway Tuesday morning - 2 units of insulin (next 6 cycles) DM in the morning both pre shot and post shot.

Thanks Claire

10. Bron and Sheba (GA)

This is true that the 10% carbs are probably keeping the Bg higher than the 0 carbs. I like to see cats get around 5% carbs. But with the DKA we need to make sure that Kaz is getting enough insulin as well as enough food. So for a couple of weeks let’s just stay with some of the 10% carbs and then see how things are. It is also complicated by the unavoidable fact you need to go out to work and have to leave him.

11. Claire and Kaz

Claire and Kaz Member

Morning Bron
    So I gave Kaz the whole tin of DM Select before I left along with 2 units of insulin. I will do this for 6 cycles.

Thanks Claire

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  12. Bron and Sheba (GA)

L
    Let us know how the day goes.

13. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

You are doing awesum Claire. Kaz sounds like he's doing much better and I am so happy for him. Keep up the great work.

14. Claire and Kaz

Claire and Kaz Member

Sorry last 48 hours been nightmare (not Kaz work).

Kaz is fairing well so far on the new dose. His numbers seem to be a bit all over the place but there are less black numbers which has to be better.

Question - should a diabetic cat be kept on Potassium tablets indefinitely? If so does anyone know where to go to get a better price.

Also planning to do a Ketone blood test this evening in case you asked. Kaz's ear is not looking good with all the pricks and I know it hurts him a bit. For some reason he only wants me to use his left ear he gets a bit agitated when I go for the other and there does not really appear to be a reason why?

15. Claire and Kaz

Claire and Kaz Member

Thanks

16. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

A lot of members
    use pure coconut oil, I have copied this from one of the members posts
    just make sure the only ingredient is coconut oil (mine is solid at room temp and I would take an itty bitty dab and rub on his ears, just make sure its pure coconut oi

17. Diane Tyler's Mom

I wouldn't know sorry I can tag a few members for you to see if they know
    @Bron and Sheba (GA)[/USE

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
  18. Claire and Kaz

Claire and Kaz Member

Funny I actually threw this out a couple months ago as Kaz did not care for it. I bought it for his fur balls but he would not lick it off his fur or anything else so I gave up. It was pure coconut oil and was hard at room temperature. Never dreamed I would use it for anything else.

Lee Renfro and Diane Tyler's Mom like this.
  19. Claire and Kaz

Claire and Kaz Member

20. Diane Tyler's Mom

You're welcome. :bighug::cat:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
  21. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Claire, no one here can tell you how long to keep Kaz on potassium tablets. Only the vet can do that after testing the blood again to see what the current potassium level is.

22. Claire and Kaz

Claire and Kaz Member

ok I have an email into my vet.

Kaz's Ketones are at a 0.1 on the blood monitor so this is really good. His BG has also dropped quite a bit but am going to give him some more DM now so as to even it out as I know I don't want it to drop too fast.

23. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Hi. Hope you can get out of jury duty. Your vet would have to recheck the potassium blood levels to see if they’ve normalized — as Bron mentioned. I have used the Vetoquinol Renal-K powder on all of my cats needing a potassium supplement. They eat it in their food just fine (chicken liver flavor). This is just a suggestion in case you should need to continue with the potassium (hopefully you will not.). It’s dangerous for potassium to either drop too low or go too high, so it is worth checking it out.

Claire and Kaz and Lee Renfro like this.
  24. Claire and Kaz

Claire and Kaz Member

I just looked this up it looks similar to the canister of Probiotics I use so I am guessing this would last one cat about three months? Still waiting on vets response but if he says he needs this forever I will ask about the supplement verses the tablets that are huge.
    Thanks

25. Claire and Kaz

Claire and Kaz Member

Hello Bron
    I know this evenings shot will be the 6th in the cycle. I was really surprised to see Kaz's BG at 594 this morning. His numbers are all over the place.
    Should I hold at 2 units for another 6 cycles? Bit wary about going up again so fast as his numbers have been up and down this cycle and I should have the MeowSpace set up this weekend although not sure how long it will take to train him to use it.
    Hoping that once he was able to get two additional small meals during the day it might help with these numbers.

26. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I think he is bouncing up to the red and black BGs from the yellow BGs as he is not used to the “lower” numbers any more. This is normal so don’t worry about it. There is nothing you can do about it except let him get used to more numbers again.
    I would hold the dose until tomorrow anyway and see how he goes.He does have room to increase. Maybe look at it again this time tomorrow. Good there are no ketones still.

27. Suzanne & Darcy

It also comes in a gel. I’ve not tried that yet.

28. Claire and Kaz

Claire and Kaz Member

Hi Bron

I just checked Kaz's BG (PMPS time) and to my shock his BG is at 641 I checked his Ketones immediately and they were 0.2 on blood monitor so that's fine.
    Only change is that he has been off the Potassium tablets 24 hours as I had to wait for the vet to renew the prescription. Just got these and will be giving these next followed by 2 units of insulin.

29. Claire and Kaz

Claire and Kaz Member

I have the gel Kaz will not take it he literally foams at the moth if I try.

30. Suzanne & Darcy

:(:(:(:( Poor Kaz.

31. Suzanne & Darcy

Sorry he's been in black today. Looks like he bounces high after yellow numbers. I hope he will come back down. It's a real relief that he is not having significant ketones at this time.

32. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I agree he is bouncing from the yellow BG

33. Claire and Kaz

Claire and Kaz Member

Does this mean I just need to wait and his current dose of insulin along with food will help it come back down. I’m assuming that even though it’s this high he’s ok as there are no ketones in his urine.

34. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I would give it 24 more hours to see if the BG comes down (providing there are no ketones) and then if there are no blue BGs I would increase the dose by 0.25 units

35. Claire and Kaz

Claire and Kaz Member

Hi Bron

I finally managed to get the Libre button off but the wound is bleeding and looks a bit swollen. The adhesive is still on but worried to remove this as I don’t want to irritate it. I also don’t want an infection so I was wondering if you had advice. Kaz keeps scratching.
    As the adhesive is still on I was going to put a plaster\band aid on but I think antiseptic might hurt him.

Lee Renfro likes this.
  36. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I have no experience with something like this. I’ll tag @Suzanne & Darcy to see if she knows

37. Suzanne & Darcy

At the vet they have special adhesive remover for this purpose. One thing you could try would be a little extra virgin olive oil. It is safe and has been used on wounds for centuries. I would worry a little about the open sore. Is it quite small? Just where the probe went in? If it’s bleeding, I am thinking your vet may want to prescribe Clavamox for possible skin infection.

38. Suzanne & Darcy

I would not put an antiseptic on it. I mean, you could technically- something like chlorhexidine (they use this a lot at the vet) but I am afraid it would be painful. He probably will clean it himself and that may be the best thing (if you get the adhesive off.)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2022
  39. Claire and Kaz

Claire and Kaz Member

Not the adhesive ring that's bleeding its where the button has come off. The adhesive ring is still on him I don't dare tackle that right now. He keeps scratching it. I have ordered some anti itch stuff specifically for wounds along with an ecollar. Sadly not a lot else I can do between now and tomorrow as everything is closed.
    Thanks for the response.

40. Suzanne & Darcy

Do you have a little shirt to put on him?

41. Suzanne & Darcy

I agree about being careful putting anything on there since he will lick off anything you put on- so it would have to be harmless to a cat. I’m hoping you have a baby shirt that you can put on. A lot of people use these to go over the Libre sensors.

42. Claire and Kaz

Claire and Kaz Member

No I don’t have anything like that in the house I contemplated a bandage or plaster but I think that could make it worse as it will stick and then when removed it will bleed again. He usually sleeps pretty heavily during the night.
    Also think that his water consumption has finally decreased slightly and his weight is nearly back to normal so all positive signs just need to get the BG stable.

Lee Renfro and Suzanne & Darcy like this.
  43. Suzanne & Darcy

I hope Kaz will sleep peacefully tonight then. And you as well, Claire. Weight gain and normal water consumption are both very good signs! :joyful:

44. Claire and Kaz

Claire and Kaz Member

Hi Bron

Kaz's numbers are really high again today so tomorrow morning planning on starting the new dose from 2 units to 2.25 unless you tell me otherwise. I am going to test his Ketones again during next ear prick. For some reason there has not been as much blood over past couple days its weird.

Also did get the Meowspace which I set up today and have started training him I spoke to the owner of the company today and she said it could take about a week to get him used to going in with the door closed. He is goin in with door open already so that's positive. So I am hoping that within the next week I will be able to leave additional meals out for him so another step in the right direction.

Thanks as always for your help.

Claire/Kaz

45. Claire and Kaz

Claire and Kaz Member

Hi Bron

I also wanted to mention that over the last 48 hours if I did not know there was something wrong with Kaz we would have just been carrying on our old lives. He has started running around the house again, cleaning himself hanging out with me and sleeping in the bedroom. This all happened within last 48 hours and his BG has sky rocketed. Hes not feeling unwell quite the opposite.
    Find this weird as I would have thought he'd be feeling unwell with it being this high I know I would.

Lee Renfro likes this.
  46. Holtfam6

Holtfam6 Member

on the libre button, I read somewhere to use 100% coconut oil.. It will help loosen the adhesive ring. Use a qtip or cotton ball Don't pull it off but work slowly on loosening it. It may take a couple days. I'm worried about the injection point from the libre. How big is the wound? Is there any drainage? If it's swollen, it could be infected and need an antibiotic. You could put a non adhesive 4x4 dressing on it and wrap it with an ace wrap or cobain dressing secure with tape to keep him from scratching at it.

47. Claire and Kaz

Claire and Kaz Member

I have ecollar arriving tomorrow and coconut oil (for his ear) I also got Vetericyn +plus spray today. This is a antimicrobial wound & skin care (cuts, abrasions, sores and skin irritations) spray.
    I did contact my vet who said just to clean it with warm water and a cloth and leave it to the air to heal. So far it appears that he has stopped scratching but if he starts again I was going to try the spray as its supposed to help with the itching too.
    Trying to leave it a lone as I know a cats biology is very different to a persons and creams etc can make it worse. The swelling appears to have gone down and it does not appear to bother him if I touch the area.
    Waiting a couple days for this to heal before removing the rest of the adhesive.

Suzanne & Darcy and FrostD like this.
  48. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

What about something like Saran wrap underneath, or not advisable because not breathable? Just trying to think of stuff she may have at home.

Seconding coconut oil, it's great for both removing sticky stuff (I use it all the time when kids get covered in pine sap) but also wound care (not saying I'd put it on the sound, just that it's ok if a little happened to get on when trying to remove it). I just don't want him to make things worse by scratching at the adhesive

49. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Oh ok, glad he seems to be leaving it alone and it looks better!

50. Holtfam6

Holtfam6 Member

Saran wrap wouldn't be bad for a short term. would be considered an occlusive dressing such as used for IVs. it may help the coconut oil absorb better into the adhesive ring and loosen up quicker with less messing with it. It would make it more of a warm moist environment. I probably wouldn't wrap it around him but just over the site itself. The only contradiction I can think of off the top of my head, is you wouldn't want to use it if it's highly infected, could multiple bacterial growth quicker.

Claire and Kaz and FrostD like this.
  51. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Great the Meowspace has arrived. Would love to see a photo of it with Kaz inside!
    Yes, I think you are ok to increase the dose to 2.25 U

52. Claire and Kaz

Claire and Kaz Member

I have increased to 2.25 units this morning.

Some how during the night Kaz managed to get the entire adhesive ring off himself no idea how he did it as it was on his neck and I can not find it in the house either.
    He also just thrown up all his food hes still hungry so I am giving him a small amount again as I have now given him the insulin (gave him the insulin before he threw up).
    The adhesive ring was not in the throw up and I don't think he would be that stupid as to eat it.

53. Bron and Sheba (GA)

It’s possible that he had the adhesive ring in his mouth and I know when cats have string in their mouth, they often can’t get it out and have to swallow it because of the tiny hooks on their tongues. He might have accidentally swallowed it so I would watch his poops for it to come out the other end and also if he keeps vomiting you might need to tell the vet what could have happened. Of course it might turn up in the house as well.

54. Claire and Kaz

Claire and Kaz Member

He hasn't thrown up since this morning and hes acting normal so hopefully he will just pass it within a couple days.

55. Claire and Kaz

Claire and Kaz Member

Hi Bron

I will be on cycle 6 this evening at 2.25 his number are still on the high side but I know some of the issue is probably not getting the regular food.
    I'm working with the owner of Meowspace as there new models (which is what the sent me) does not appear to allow the cat into the box unless the magnet is actually placed on the device which the cat obviously can't do. If the device worked as it was supposed to the cat would definitely use it. I'm hoping for a fix to this issue within a few days or maybe the older model needs to be sent.

Thanks Claire

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  56. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I’m sorry the feeder is causing a problem. I hope you can get it sorted out.
    If you don’t get any blue BGs in the cycle tonight I would increase the dose tomorrow to 2.5U

57. Suzanne & Darcy

This is the correct thing to do. Leave it open to the air. Wounds need to heal from the inside out and not seal over the top first because infection (abscess) will possibly develop underneath. That’s why when a surgeon opens up and drains a large abscess the wound will have to be “packed” (usually with a long string of material that is inserted into the wound…. to keep it open while it heals. I recommended Olive Oil. Coconut oil is also excellent although I am not sure of its antimicrobial properties.

58. Suzanne & Darcy

I would like to see the Meowspace as I had never even heard of it until you mentioned it.

59. Suzanne & Darcy

Are you following TR now?

60. Claire and Kaz

Claire and Kaz Member

Having a few issues with Meowspace with him getting in with the magnet. The owner thinks hes on the taller side so I need to take door off and reinstall other way to make it higher. He will go in if the door is open but can not get in when closed and he tried for about 2 hours on and off last night. Hoping that when I switch it it will work but below are some pictures. WilburCat needs to take the credit for this one as I had never heard about it before. Already got women I work with ordering one for her cat with kidney issues.

The wound is also healing nicely and I have been putting coconut oil around the wound (not directly on it) to help with the itching as well as on his ear and it does seem to be helping

upload_2022-4-26_18-9-48.png upload_2022-4-26_18-11-14.png

Attached Files:

61. Claire and Kaz

Claire and Kaz Member

Sorry guessing stupid question but what is TR again

62. Claire and Kaz

Claire and Kaz Member

Hi Bron

Kaz jerked his head this evening when I was giving him his insulin shot I am pretty sure most of the liquid went in but some did not I am not really experiences enough yet to know what % went in and what did not. I am guessing there is nothing I can do and will have to wait till tomorrow morning but I wanted to check.

Thanks Claire

63. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Hi Claire,
    Nothing you can do about that, sorry. Don’t ever give any more insulin if that happens. Everyone has that happen at some point so don’t worry. He’ll get back on track.
    You are doing a great job.

64. Claire and Kaz

Claire and Kaz Member

Ok thanks just monitoring him closely

65. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Hi Claire, this would be good to add to the Remarks section of the spreadsheet for yesterday.

Did you get anymore tests in last night? With a drop at +2, that usually means a more active cycle. He may have even seen some blue after that but we will never know. :cool:
    I would have tested again at +3 or +4 to determine if any further tests were needed after that.
    You're doing a great job, Claire. I've been following along. :bighug:

66. Suzanne & Darcy

A lot of people put PFS in their spreadsheet (for possible fur shot. ) The possible fur shot "resets" the count of cycles on a particular dose. I'm sorry he's back in black.

67. Suzanne & Darcy

Also, did you see wetness on his fur or smell insulin on his fur? You can usually smell that insulin odor. If not, then most of the shot probably went in... if not all.

68. Claire and Kaz

Claire and Kaz Member

That's how I know I missed some as it was wet and I could smell it. Going to actual shave his neck area for when I am in the UK as it makes it much easier to see and with someone else giving the shots that does not give them this should help her.

I will be asking you and Bron for help with this as I am gone for three weeks which means no blood tests and no adjustments in his insulin so I need help formulating a plan on dosing so as to keep him at a consistent safe level while I am gone.

Claire

69. Claire and Kaz

Claire and Kaz Member

Hi Bron This is 6 days now at 2.25 I think as I had the mishap with the injection I am supposed to stay at this level of insulin but please let me know if you want me to adjust again.

I would have thought by now I would be seeing lower numbers but been no real change?

Thanks Claire

70. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Hi Claire
    Would you mind putting DKA in the signature please as it’s important that people helping you know that history…thanks.
    Also in the Ss can you put TR as the dosing method please…..you aren’t feeding any dry food are you?
    I would go up to the next dose of 2.5 units tomorrow morning.

When will you be going away and who is minding him?
    Will they be able to test for ketones?
    Do you think he will eat well for them when you are gone?

71. Suzanne & Darcy

Exactly what I was going to ask… when are you leaving?

72. Claire and Kaz

Claire and Kaz Member

I'll have to figure out about the signature someone else kindly set up the spreadsheet so I have never had to touch it.
    Still don't know what TR is assuming you want me to put it in the comment section.

99% is wet food. I have been giving him a few morsels of dry vs treats when I do insulin shots and potassium tablets and ear pricks. I was going through a canister of treats every 2-3 days so I switched to this method as its more affordable. He now only gets treats at insulin time.

I'm gone from June 18/19th through July 5th.

No the women looking after will not be doing any kind of tests only thing she has agreed to do beyond the normal day to day is the insulin shots. This is the best option I have as there is NO ONE ELSE. There is no medical boarding and no one licensed in this kind of work. I am extremely lucky to have gotten anyone to administer shots at all. If this goes bad she will not do it again and them I am going to have huge issue in December when I travel again. I have said this over and over that there is no one and I am on my own. This is the best and ONLY option available lucky to have it.

Please do not make me feel guilty about this as I searched and searched I sent out well over 100 emails called every place within 50 miles of me and got NOTHING. As I have said over and over I have to travel twice a year these are set trips that will NEVER change until my mother passes.

As far as eating goes I have the appetite stimulant and I was planning on having her use it whilst I was gone as she is not going to wait around for him to eat and this is going to be my best option.

I will increase to 2.5 tomorrow.

Claire

73. Claire and Kaz

Claire and Kaz Member

Sorry just looked up dates

Fly out on June 16th (late flight) So Laurie is looking after Kaz from June 17th through July 5th (19 days) hoping to have a Libre button put on on the 16th but as we all know this could last one day or two weeks.

74. Bron and Sheba (GA)

We certainly don’t want to make you feel guilty but we do need to ask these questions so we can decide what the best dose will be.
    Im sure you have looked everywhere for help looking after him. I know how hard it can be. I’m so glad you have found someone.
    Will you have an automatic feeder set up for him while you are away?
    I’m heading to bed now so will talk to you tomorrow :)

75. Claire and Kaz

Claire and Kaz Member

Thanks goodnight

We are still working on the Meowspace I am praying that he will have figured it out by then as this helps me too as I want him to have a couple smaller meals during the day.

76. Suzanne & Darcy

No. We don’t want to make you feel guilty. That’s not our goal. Our goal is to help you keep Kaz safe. Since there’s to be no testing, I think you need to have a Libre sensor put on him so that the pet sitter can at least scan it before shooting insulin to make sure it is safe to shoot.

77. Suzanne & Darcy

Where do you live Claire? What state? Are you in a rural area? I wish I could just take care of him for you.

78. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi Bron I see Claire is feeding some dry , see post #72 maybe she would ADC to her signature food combo?
    @Bron and Sheba (GA)

79. Claire and Kaz

Claire and Kaz Member

I am planning on having a Libre button put on I already have the button but again this may work 14 days or just one day. Can't rely on this and there is no way she is going to remove the button and put another on. I had issues getting the button off poor thing was bleeding with nasty wound.

I live in Allston Massachusetts (suburb of Boston)

80. Claire and Kaz

Claire and Kaz Member

Not feeding him any dry he simply gets a few bits of kibble as treats. Not get a bowl of it he can't or he will block. Very careful about this and switch between treats and kibble. This is why he is on Prazosin.
    I also add water to his food even though he drinks a lot to counter this.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  81. Diane Tyler's Mom

Okey Dokey I just want to check with Bron if it's still OK to follow TR Protocol even if Kaz is only getting a few kibble. Whatever method you follow you will add that to your spreadsheet up top where it says Dosing Method(SLGS or TR) above where you have the meter you are using
    @Bron and Sheba (GA)

82. Suzanne & Darcy

I will say that I fed my diabetic cat little bits of Dr. Elsey’s Clean Protein - like five pieces sometimes for a treat or a food topper. That is one of the very few low-carb kibble available that I am aware of. At first, I only gave Pure Bites 100 percent meat treats. Boiled chicken is a good option.

83. Claire and Kaz

Claire and Kaz Member

Somebody needs to explain acronyms on this site or send me a link as to where to find my answers I have asked at least three times what TR is and had no response.

I also now have a more general question regarding feeding.

Kaz is getting way, way more food than normal. Before I was ok with this as he was so under weight but now he is back to 12 lbs and is now over this amount at 12.4 lbs. If I keep feeding him this way he is going to be extremely obese which has its own health issues.

I need to understand feeding schedule and how much he should be getting in between the two main meals.

Thanks Claire

84. Suzanne & Darcy

I am sorry. I didn’t see that question. TR stands for tight regulation and it is a dosing method/protocol. Let me send you a link, in case we haven't done that yet. Sorry for the frustration!

85. Suzanne & Darcy

Yes. I remember now about the problems with the button. :-(

86. Suzanne & Darcy

This is a link to the Sticky Note (located at the top of the Lantus/Levemir/Biosimilars forum) that describes how Start Low Go Slow (SLGS) and Tight Regulation (TR) works. The TR method allows you to do increases more rapidly, if enough testing is done (the two pre-shot tests, plus at least one mid-cycle test if the minimum requirement for following TR.) It's just that Kaz's numbers are so high that it would be good if he could follow the TR protocol and get into better numbers more quickly - instead of holding the doses for so long. Here it is:

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...-low-go-slow-slgs-tight-regulation-tr.210110/

87. Claire and Kaz

Claire and Kaz Member

Ok thanks so it basically means that I am adjusting the dosage based on hi BG levels verse keeping it at the same dosage every day.

88. Suzanne & Darcy

Does he have Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (FLUTD?)

89. Suzanne & Darcy

Well, all doses are based on nadirs (the lowest BG number that a cat has on a dose,) regardless of which method you are using that is true. Doses are always based upon the nadirs. The main difference between the two methods is that with Tight Regulation (TR) more testing is required in order for the dose to be increased as often as every six cycles (three days). This, of course, depends on the cat's numbers and if it is necessary to do that. There are rules about holding the dose depending on nadirs (if you are seeing blue nadirs or if you are seeing green nadirs, for example, the doses are held for a longer time.) So these are general principals. There are exceptions always, such as if your cat is bouncing, you usually want to wait until he's cleared the bounce and is back down into his more usual numbers before increasing. The reason for that is that the cat will drop back down during a bounce and you don't really want to increase insulin at the same time as the cat is dropping down on his own after "clearing the bounce" -- because you will have downward momentum from that at the same time an increase in insulin can also cause your cat to go lower in BG. I hope this helps a little. There are quite a few subtleties to the methods, but that Sticky Note covers a lot of it very well.

90. Suzanne & Darcy

I'm re-reading the question and want to make sure that you understand... you will not adjust the dose on a daily basis (except when reduction is required for safety.) Doses are typically held for 6 cycles on TR and longer on SLGS - even if BG goes high (and a lot of times with new cats it will due to bouncing.)

91. Suzanne & Darcy

I live in Georgia. I wish I was closer because I really would not mind taking care of him while you were away. I totally understand about you needing to go and see your mother. I know this must be really stressful for you, too.

92. Claire and Kaz

Claire and Kaz Member

Well he's on Prazosin and I have syringes filled with buprenorphine in case he gets blocked. Vet never used the term lower urinary Tract disease. I just know for at least 10 years now that if he eats a bowl of dry food for a couple days straight he will start going in and out the litter box then if it does not clear up on its own I have to start giving him the syringe medication once a day till it passes. If that does not work its catheter at the hospital. They refer to it as a blockage related to crystal formation which is a type of urinary tract infection.
    I am very careful with this and its been 4+ years since he has had to have buprenorphine. The vet replaces it every time I go to the UK as there have been a couple times in the past that he got really stressed with me not being here and the symptoms started in both cases they subsided very quickly after my return.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  93. Claire and Kaz

Claire and Kaz Member

\
    What is SLGS?

I know I am supposed to increase the dose to 2.5 tomorrow. Bron has been kind enough to tell me what dose to give and when to change it. Really relying on her have not even told my vet I'm doing this as I am not sure how he will take it.

94. Suzanne & Darcy

This just really surprises me that there are no vets around the Boston area (Allston, Cambridge) that do boarding of cats. But maybe they're not staffed at the right hours for giving shots 12 hours apart? That's been a problem for another one of our members. I wish there was a pet sitter around there who was more flexible. How many cats do you have, Claire? Obviously more than one or your wouldn't have needed the MeowSpace. Did you get that MeowSpace worked out?

95. Suzanne & Darcy

The other dosing method. Start Low Go Slow (SLGS). It is also explained in the document that I attached. Hope it helps (when you get a chance to read it through.)

96. Suzanne & Darcy

Yes. The doses that Bron has been recommending are based upon the dosing protocol guidelines that are explained in that Sticky Note I sent you. She also takes into condsideration things like Kaz's history (DKA), etc.

97. Claire and Kaz

Claire and Kaz Member

Going to see if I understand this correctly.
    All doses are based on nadir which is the lowest point (during the 11 hour cycles you are looking at what the lowest BG reading is). Then based off these BG readings you will then make the decision as to whether or not to increase/decrease or hold at the same level.

So if this is correct unless you get multiple readings (curve) you would not be able to make an accurate prediction of what the true levels are. Then you have curveballs. If the BG is high I feed Kaz 0% carb food (Tiki) if his BG is dropping faster than I think it should I have been switching the next meal to Wernuva at 2-3% and I stopped with the DM as he was going off it and the 10% seemed high. However I was going to have Laurie use this just one can a day split evenly in the morning and evening as one of the extra meals to try and keep the BG at an even rate while I was gone and to keep the higher dosage safer. If this makes sense.

I was waiting till it was a bit closer to travel time to get an exact schedule of what I was to have her do.

98. Suzanne & Darcy

99. Claire and Kaz

Claire and Kaz Member

Since COVID no one will board medical cats. Have no problem boarding the other one. Angel just had a whole new wing built and they have a hospital attached and they will not take medical boarding right now. Hoping this changes at some point but they have even said this makes it hard for people in my shoes to get any help.

100. Suzanne & Darcy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.