? AMPS 14.4 (225) Blaze

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Blaze and Paola, Aug 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blaze and Paola

Blaze and Paola Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Blaze and Paola

Sorry, the conversion is 259.2!! In US

3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Link is perfect, Paola.

Just having a gander at Blaze's spreadsheet. BRB ...

4. Blaze and Paola

Blaze ate half and even less of his food this morning. Because of that I gave him just 0.25 right now. The vet told me to reduce if he didn't eat all of his food. If this is wrong, please tell me and I will shoot the other 0.25 right now. I'd rather being low than too high...that's why that decision.

5. Critter Mom

You just beat me to it, Paola. I was going to suggest dropping to 0.25IU for this morning's dose.

I'm always uber-conservative at the best of times but after the last two cycles and your not being around to test as much today I think the lower dose is safer.

QUESTION: Did you give Blaze any high carb treats last night while his numbers were in the lower part of the cycle?

Mogs

6. Blaze and Paola

Yes and some honey on his gums...he would not eat anything else. I was able to get him to eat only the treats. Between the 2 times, he ate probably 9/10 (some pieces smaller than others, like sections of a full piece). I know they are bad for him but I panicked because he would not eat anything else.

7. Critter Mom

When a cat needs the additional carbs then the treats are a good thing to give. You did exactly the right thing. :)

You did very, very well indeed all day yesterday, Paola. :bighug:

Be sure to leave enough food out today for both your little ones. Just make sure that you lift the food 2 hours before this evening's preshot test.

Mogs

8. Blaze and Paola

Thank you so much Mogs. Yesterday it was a tough day but thanks to you all I managed. I am sleep deprived but my baby is ok and that is all it matters. I will leave out their wet food. Thank you again, when I am back in the house in between all those things I need to do I will test and see where he is at. I will post here.

9. Critter Mom

When you're out and about today, Paola, I suggest you pick up some supplies:

Shopping List Suggestions
    ------------------------------------

For your hypo toolkit:

* Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers - Beef Variety (couple of cans) - 20% carbs
    * Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers - Any other varieties (several cans) - 15% carbs
    * Temptations Cat Treats, or more of the Purina Party Mix Treats

Other suggestions:

* Weruva Grandma's Chicken Soup - 21% carbs
    * Weruva Cats in the Kitchen: Chick Magnet Pouches - 16-17% carbs
    * Weruva Cats in the Kitchen: Love Me Tender Pouches - 16-17% carbs

Testing Supplies:

* Test strips for your meter (always make sure you have plenty of these at home)
    * Lancets (unless you already have lots at home)
    * Ketone Test Strips (if you don't already have any)

For You:

* Chocolate, ice cream, or some other nice treat (you deserve one!)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mogs

10. Blaze and Paola

One last question before I get in the shower and start moving...
    Before all this started, the boys had a little wet food in the morning and then they would graze through the dry food throughout the day.
    They do enjoy cracking on some hard stuff too.
    While I am out today, I thought of buying Dr. Elsey's dry food:
    https://www.petsmart.ca/cat/food-an...rain-free-adult-cat-food---chicken-57972.html

So that instead of them getting completely bored of the wet, when I go out during the day and I need to leave some food out for them, I could leave that (if they like it, that is...). Would that be a bad idea, considering it is a different brand of food (considering their tiny stomachs that have been put through a lot these few days with the change in food to Purina).

11. Blaze and Paola

Shopping list has been photographed and will be purchased today :) thank you for suggesting. The Testing Supplies, I have ALL of that and plenty. I plan on going back to the pharmacy and get more in 2 weeks to keep up the supply.
    For me: I do have ice cream, chocolate chip cookies...BUT the supply is def getting low, and after yesterday, I think I deserve more of that lol and then some! You are so right!

12. Critter Mom

Indeed it is all that matters. Sleep can be caught up with. When you get the right dose sorted over the next day or two things should be more straightforward for you both.

We'll keep a look out for updates. Have a grand day, and keep safe.

:bighug:

Mogs

13. Critter Mom

If you can keep them to an all-wet low carb diet it's better for them. Some FD kitties just won't eat wet food so the Dr. Elsey's low carb dry is best alternative. An all-wet diet is also much better for their urinary tract health.

Once you get the timed feeders we can give you various tips on keeping the food fresh and moist.

Mogs

14. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Mogs is on the case!
    you dod the right thing Paola really good instincts:smuggrin:
    Now you don't have to worry all day well.

Just FYI I switched to NULO dryad Dre loves it and is LC as well as Dr Elsey chicken (5%) salmon (9%)

I don't know Nulo carbs but dre never spikes they say has low glycemic and ok of Fd which appease to be true
    Have a wonderful stress fee day:bighug:

Goodmoning Mogs:)

15. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers Gourmet Beef Feast in Gravy 20% High Carbs

Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers Gourmet Chicken Feast in Gravy. 15% Med Carbs

Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers Turkey Feast in Gravy. 15% Med Carbs

Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers Chicken and Beef Feast in Gravy 15% Med Carbs

Good to have these on hand, it's really only the Gravy you would need to feed him, or just a teaspoon of the food.
    Always good to have honey in hand

16. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Morning ladies. Well done Paola, Mogs, and Jayla. Better a day too high. Pick up different flavors of food. We need to find what they will love. If you go to Petco try Soulistic Triple harmony pouches. Very high carb. I’ll check to see %. There is a tuna pouch hi carb too.

17. Blaze and Paola

Leaving to go to work, I just tested him and his reading is higher that AMPS, it is 16 (288)...should I worry?

18. tiffmaxee

Absolutely not. He ate. Even a few teaspoons can raise the bg.

19. tiffmaxee

Lantus won’t kick in for at least 2 hours.

20. Blaze and Paola

Just to put a note here to be precise, reading done at +2.30 (+2.5?) how do you do the half hours?

21. Blaze and Paola

Ok good to know...I just worry because it was very tricky to only get 0,25 in that tiny syringe...So I hope I got some med in him

22. tiffmaxee

23. Critter Mom

Morning, Elise!
    Saoirse didn't get that particular memo.

Saoirse metabolised insulin fast, both Caninsulin and Lantus. I could tell the time of dose onset from her energy and activity levels and her behaviours. It was most often around the 75 minute mark. Many's the time I was grateful she nadired early too, especially when she was receiving Lantus.

Mogs

24. tiffmaxee

There are the exceptions. She must have had long duration. I think at first it takes longer or was she like that from the get go? Max wouldn’t give me a clue about his cycle until +2.5 unless he started low and never came up much. There’s that old ECID.

Critter Mom likes this.
  25. Critter Mom

The '+' time notation uses decimals, e.g:

HH:MM / '+' Notation

16:00 / +??.00
    16:15 / +??.25
    16:30 / +??.50
    16:45 / +??.75

Mogs

26. Critter Mom

She was always like that, Elise. She had fairly normal duration on Lantus but her duration on Caninsulin was pants.

27. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

yes that is how you put in half hours it would be 288 @+2.5 then you would have to put the color code in manually

28. Blaze and Paola

Hi everyone,
    I just tested Blazey boy, +5.75 he is at 13.9 (250.2)
    Will test again before going to physio

29. Blaze and Paola

Today I checked Blaze's ears against a light to see the exact location of his capillaries/veins.
    As I did that (it really helped) i saw all the "damage" I did so far. So basically I saw all these red spots within the skin, in the inside. Basically looking THROUGH the ear flap. It looks like the capillaries broke when the blood wasn't coming through and I kept trying. Is he in pain now? Will it heal. I could finally see the vein now that i need to aim for. I should have done the light thing before and not just watch the video. Will his ear heal properly?

30. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Look at how feral cats ears are. They DO heal. Some not so pretty but they heal. So will Blaze. You wont be slicing through his eat like a cat fight does, so I think you are safe. ;):bighug:

31. Blaze and Paola

:D

32. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

In the wild, a cat's ears get beat up all the time. There is not as many nerve endings in the ear as you think.
    It is not the vein that you need to aim for. It is the "sweet spot" between the vein and the outer edge of the ear. Poking the ear will help new auxiliary capillaries grow in this area which will increase the likelihood of a good sized drop.
    Pick up some Polysporin Complete with Pain Relief (must be the ointment, not the cream) on your way home (photo of product below).

sweetspot.JPG laur_danny_famoussweetspot.jpg

polysporin_complete_antibiotic_ointment.jpg

33. Red & Rover (GA)

Some people use a headlamp to shine light on the ear. Any dollar store.

34. Red & Rover (GA)

Do your syringes have half unit marks on them? If not, these might make dosing easier (as does a pair of dollar store magnifying glasses).

BD_320440__64513.1520533063.jpg

35. Blaze and Paola

Before reading your message i had ordered one on amazon...i read your mind

36. Blaze and Paola

+6.50 He is at 12.9 (232.2)
    Going to go to physio. I will leave the food out again...should I give 1 treat just in case or just go?

37. Blaze and Paola

I will be back home in 1.5 hours

38. Red & Rover (GA)

I think he will be fine with just the food. Buy yourself a treat on the way home.

39. Critter Mom

If you wish you could leave out some low carb wet food for him but Blaze is on a lower dose, is halfway through the cycle and his numbers are fine. Remember to lift all food 2 hours before the preshot BG test.

You're good to go. :) I'll try to drop in later but can't promise (knackered). I'm tagging @tiffmaxee to ask her to check in with you about tonight's dose.

Keep safe and well (and make sure to treat yourself to something nummy!).

Mogs

40. Blaze and Paola

Perfect, getting myself a starbucks Frappuccino. Well deserved :)

41. jt and trouble (GA)

:D GWAD I MISS THOSE!

ENJOY

Red & Rover (GA) likes this.
  42. Critter Mom

43. Critter Mom

I have a confession to make: I am a Starbucks virgin.

A friend brought me into one once. After 15 minutes I told them that I wasn't prepared to spend any more of my life queuing up for an overpriced hot beverage. Haven't darkened the door of another one since.

Mogs

44. Blaze and Paola

The only reason why i go there once in a while is because, being a teacher, i get quite a few gift cards...when the gifts card are empty I don't go there, way too overpriced for sure.

45. Blaze and Paola

I just tested Blaze. +9 he is at 14.9 (268.2) it is starting to rise...When I came home I also saw that some wet food out of his bowl is missing...and it was just recently eaten I think...I hope the levels don't skyrocket too quickly until dinner time. Food has been removed already. I am starting to get anxious for my other cat, we are going to the vet soon...he hates the car ride, it's torture for both. But Ash transforms into psycho-cat at the vet...he gets so scared he does not recognize anymore even his own mama.

46. Critter Mom

Hi Paola,

You're doing a great job snagging tests today. +9 is OK time-wise for Blaze to have eaten. Just the two hours before each PS test need to be a food-free zone.

Nice wide and shallow Lantus 'smile' curve today. Now to start gradually nudging it down... ;)

I can relate to the vetty bean phobia. My civvie, Lúnasa, is fine with travelling (managed to get her used to it when she was a kitten), but she hates the vets with a passion. They have to sedate her to get a blood draw. :rolleyes: I hope your vet visit won't be too stressful for you both. :bighug:

How are you fixed for monitoring tonight, Paola? (You must be very tired by now.)

Mogs

47. Blaze and Paola

I gave him a calming pill...but I doubt it will work.
    It kills.me to see them so stressed.
    Yes, no food until dinner.
    Ash will be out of it...because of the drug i already know. Blaze was the same after coming home.
    I start working tomorrow...i have online training in the morning and I have to be at school at 12:15 for in person training. The rest of the week I am home thankfully. Next week I start work full time and I am terrified...long long days with no monitoring.
    I am exhausted to say the least, emotionally and physically. I will monitor tonight anyways. We are supposed to give the full 0.5 unit tonight.

48. Blaze and Paola

Advice: I know the vet will ask.me how things are going with Blaze. I have done zero of what she told me, for everything she said I did the complete opposite and thank you God I did that!
    What do I tell her?
    Should I explain? Should I lie?

49. Critter Mom

I'm squirming a bit re how to approach the vet. Let me think on't for a bit.

Do you have a tablet device or a smart phone?

50. Blaze and Paola

Yes i have a Samsung. At the vet right now waiting

51. Critter Mom

I don't need the number (might be an idea to delete that post from the public forum to protect your privacy :) ).

I was wondering if you had a mobile device, you could lead with the fact that you were scared about giving insulin without checking Blaze was safe, then show the vet Blaze's BG results spreadsheet and take it from there. After that lead in you could then discuss food, etc. If the vet says owt about using the human meter, be sure to mention the cost differential for test strips and also that you are using a cat-appropriate BG reference range for the human meter. (FYI, the reference range used here has been published in peer-reviewed journal articles by Kirsten Roomp and Jacqui Rand.)

Hope that helps. (? :confused: )

Mogs

52. tiffmaxee

Nice safe cycle just like we wanted. I’m thinking .50 tonight. We would love to see some tests between 100- 190.

53. tiffmaxee

I’m so curious to see how your vet responds. That will determine your approach going forward. :bighug: It’s hard to go against their advice given that they have the degree but you won’t be the first nor the last.

54. Critter Mom

Are you OK to keep an eye on Blaze and Paola tonight, Elise? I can't because I'm way too tired and can't concentrate properly.

Looking at Paola's schedule, I think if I were in the situation I'd stick with the 0.25 tonight and tomorrow morning and shift up to the 0.5IU tomorrow night. Paola would then have a clear run to monitor as the depot fills. But then I'm a complete wuss with an anxiety disorder. :oops: :rolleyes:

Mogs

55. tiffmaxee

Yes I can. You got zero sleep last night and must be exhausted. I haven’t seen tomorrow’s schedule. Is it posted? If she can’t monitor I’m fine with.25. I’m not clear as to how many hours apart we are. Is it 2 or 3?

Edited to say yes .25 tonight and tomorrow morning unless too low to shoot. It looks like tonight will be fine and you will be able to get some sleep.

56. Critter Mom

Paola's in Ontario. Her schedule is above in post #47.

I'm glad you'll be able to look out for Paola and Blaze. (((Elise)))

I had hoped I'd be able to get a nap today but the PTSD won't let my brain shut down properly. I'm so tired I'm beginning to dissociate a little, so I'm going to deploy my trusty pharmaceutical OFF switch shortly.

57. tiffmaxee

58. Blaze and Paola

Omg...I passed out!
    I am back. I went to the vet. Was there for 1 hr and 30 min. I came home just in time for pre test and feed and shoot. I was so worried about being so close to the time.
    My boyfriend was here, came with me to the vet. I sat on the couch after the shot and fell asleep on him. He has left and I am awake now

59. tiffmaxee

How did it go with your vet? When do you shoot? It looks like you went with .50. A few minutes late or early doesn’t matter.

60. Blaze and Paola

I shoot at 7...he ate a full meal. I did 0.5. Tomorrow I am here in the morning but have to leave for work at 11:45...but I think within 3 hours I should be home
    It went ok at the vet! A new vet took care of Ash, much more competent...long story but the previous vet was probably very inexperienced...I will give you more details after I make something to eat.
    I told this vet the truth, full truth. She supports every decision.

61. jt and trouble (GA)

62. Blaze and Paola

I will be back in 20 and will give you more details of what happened with the other vet...
    Did i do ok giving Blaze a 0.5? I caught up with the posts and there was a suggestion of doing .25...and in the morning too

63. tiffmaxee

The reason why we were leaning to .25 was because of your schedule and not being able to monitor. We will make it work. His dose probably is .50 but we thought sticking to .25 until tomorrow night would be easier. Were you able to pick up more food?

64. Blaze and Paola

Yesbi picked up more food. I have bought the high carbs with gravy for emergencies. I couldnt find the last suggestions on the lisþ but I bought glicose gel.packets

65. Blaze and Paola

I am now broke. I have spent about 2000$ these past 5 days. I bought the automatic feeders as well

66. Red & Rover (GA)

Blaze should not need anything more. Sounds like you are well stocked.

Was the last suggestion on the list Karo by any chance? That's what the Americans call corn syrup.

Critter Mom likes this.
  67. jt and trouble (GA)

join the club! :(:banghead::stop:o_O:facepalm:

Critter Mom and Blaze and Paola like this.
  68. tiffmaxee

So get a +1and +2. Is testing getting easier? When a Max became diabetic I was jealous of those that had pet insurance.

69. Blaze and Paola

I have not done a +1...I should have done it at 8 pm...I am sorry. I was planning on doing one in 20 minutes, a +2
    Testing is becoming a little easier...but not consistent yet. I want to poke once, read and be done...but sometimes I have to poke more than once...but definitly less than before

70. Blaze and Paola

I could not find Karo anywhere... I have honey and maple syrup and gel packets at home right now

71. Red & Rover (GA)

Karo is corn syrup to us Canucks.
    The honey, maple syrup and gel packets will do just fine.

72. Blaze and Paola

Can I tell you the story of the vet here, or this is not the right thread

73. Blaze and Paola

+2 reading: 14.4 (259.2)

74. tiffmaxee

You can tell us. What happened?

75. tiffmaxee

Good. He got a food bump. Has his appetite been good today?

76. Blaze and Paola

Ok, my boys have had the same vet since they were born. 7 years with him. I liked him, plus he started to offer home care and I loved that because my boys hate car trips. Blaze tries to get out of the carrier and bleeds from his nail. Screams and cries. So i continued to stay with him but because my house is
    Yes he ate well, except for this morning. Today he seems happier too! We are cuddling while I type and he actually played with me today!

77. Blaze and Paola

....but because my house is not a vet centre, some exams could not be completed, like blood tests etc...
    Then covid hit...he stopped coming to homes and completely dropped me, telling me to go find another vet.
    This vet office was 25 minute car ride from me.
    So i decided to find one closer to home ...found this one, 6 minutes from home. Short car ride. Better for the boys.
    This is the vet office that diagnosed Blaze.
    They gave us this young vet who did not give me that feeling of security from the very start...here is why:
    1) he felt Blaze organs and at the end she said:" I THINK, yes, I THINK the organs are fine...."....I am sitting there thinking....."you THINK?" You should KNOW!
    2) You all know her plan of action with Blaze that could have killed him
    3) on the phone, when she called me with the diagnosed, after the blood test was done, she explained well BUT I was absolutely in shock and I asked her: Is this MY FAULT?" I was devastated. This is her short answer: YES. That killed me.
    4) She had no clue what polycithemia vera is (my cat Ash medical issue)

So tonight, I knew I was supposed to have her again with Ash...but another vet showed up, LEIA. She was amazing. Knowleadgeable and understanding. I told her the truth and she supported every decision. I asked her to take on Blaze and Ash. She said yes. I feel beeter

78. tiffmaxee

That has to be a relief for you.

I would get a +4 test.

Covid has changed everything here. We can’t even go into the office. They send someone out to get them. Then you wait for them to bring them back. The vet then makes a phone call To discuss. My two are overdue but I keep hoping I’ll get to go into the office.

79. Blaze and Paola

ok gonna have a nap until then...

80. Blaze and Paola

+4 test 8.8 (158.4)

81. tiffmaxee

Can you stay awake for one more hour? Since he came down I want to make sure he doesn’t continue to slide much more. That’s a big drop. It’s safe though.

82. Blaze and Paola

83. Red & Rover (GA)

Homework for you but not tonite.
    Teach your boyfriend how to shoot and test.
    Good to have back-up.

84. Blaze and Paola

I can yes, we don't live together unfortunately...but it's good to have someone else know how.
    Waiting for next test...

Attached Files:

85. tiffmaxee

Ah, he looks so comfortable. Not a care in the world. Good idea for him to learn how to test in case of an emergency. I had only me.

86. Blaze and Paola

+5 test 13.0 (234)

87. tiffmaxee

Ok. Time for you to get some sleep. You must be mentally and physically exhausted. Sleep well. Don’t worry about Blaze. :bighug:

88. Blaze and Paola

Thank you so much again, I am very grateful for all the help. I couldn't do it without all of you :bighug:

89. Red & Rover (GA)

90. Critter Mom

It's contagious! ;)

I'm glad you were able to get some sleep last night, Paola. :bighug:

Mogs

91. Critter Mom

I am so grateful I had Saoirse so well insured. Lúnasa is well covered too. (Saved a fortune already with her radioiodine treatment a few years ago!)

I'd be happy to adopt a sugar at some stage in the future but I can't do so because the treatment costs would not be covered by insurance and I would not be in the financial position to ensure they'd get the best care without that cover. :(

Mogs

92. Critter Mom

I was utterly appalled when I read this. :mad:

She was wrong, and I'm very sorry she spoke to you that way, Paola. I am very pleased for you that you now have a better vet and that you've already established a rapport with her. I also like that she trusts and supports the decisions you have made about Blaze's treatment and safety. It's a most auspicious start to your partnership.

Mogs

93. jt and trouble (GA)

I as WELL Paola only I have a little bit of a different take on this . Your OLD vet showed her true colors. Its best you find this out now than later. I DO hope this new vet treats you with the dignity you deserve.
    KEEP UP THE GOOD FIGHT!
    j

Critter Mom and Blaze and Paola like this.
  94. Blaze and Paola

I hope so too

95. Blaze and Paola

Blaze reading at +4 is 11 (198). I have to leave for work at 11:30, in 30 minutes and I will not be back until 3 pm (+8). Should I feed something to him?

96. tiffmaxee

God morning. Yess feed him and leave some food out for while you are away. He will be fine.

97. tiffmaxee

BTW start a new condo tomorrow. This is getting long. Have fun at work.

98. Blaze and Paola

Ok! Thank you so much! I started one this morning but I forgot to add the link of this one. I hadn't received many answers, so I thought of going back to this one lol

99. tiffmaxee

I’ll find it and link it to the new one. Then continue on the new one. :)

100. tiffmaxee

P.S. adding the date to the title will help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.