? Am I feeding my cat high carb food?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Chris and Checkers, Oct 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris and Checkers

Chris and Checkers Well-Known Member

When my cat Checkers came home from hospital after DKA, he did have much of an appetite but I did manage to get him to eat Fancy Feast Salmon Pate. Which Is okay because it is low carb, but since them I have been trying transition him to higher quality low carb foods. He is pretty fussy so he he wasn't interested in much of what I tried to give him.

He does like the Stella and Chewys freeze dried chicken but only dry. So I tried their wet food the Salmon and Chicken marvelous morsels and he actually liked it. The food chart on the Tanya's CKD website shows that it has 2.97% carbs( it is not listed on Dr. Lisa's food chart) so it should be safe for my diabetic cat. But then I came across this site CatfoodDB and it says that it has over 20% carbs.

http://catfooddb.com/product/stella & chewys/Chicken & Salmon Medley Morsels

Which value is correct? Why the discrepancy? I don't really understand that differences between as fed, DMB, guaranteed analysis and %calories carbs. Which is the one to consider to find a safe food for my cat?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
    Reason for edit: Typo
  2. Chuckington

Chuckington Member

That's a good question. I don't think CatfoodDB calculated it right.
    Chewy.com says that as fed, the food has less than 1% carbs, so I think between 1% and 3% is a good estimate. Certainly below 5%.

And looking at the ingredients, I don't see how it could be up to 20%.

Salmon With Ground Bone, Chicken With Ground Bone, Chicken Liver, Chicken Gizzard, Pumpkin Seed, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Phosphate, Choline Chloride, Fenugreek Seed, Dried Pediococcus Acidilactici Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium Longum Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus Coagulans Fermentation Product, Taurine, Tocopherols (Preservative), Dandelion, Dried Kelp, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Copper Proteinate, Riboflavin Supplement, Sodium Selenite, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Manganese Proteinate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

Where are the carbs here lol. Pumpkin and fenugreek seeds are lower down in the list and both contain more fiber and fat than carb. Dandelion and kelp are wayyy down there too, so they can't be contributing to the carb count.

I think it's fine.
    CatfoodDB is trippin lmao.

3. Chris and Checkers

Oh thank God. I thought i messed up. I was thinking the same thing when I looked at the ingredients.

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The 2.97% comes for S&C webpage that you have to click on show full nutrition profile. It a[[ears thr 2.97% is weight %,
    https://www.stellaandchewys.com/cat-food/chicken-salmon-medley-morsels/
    The 25% carbs listed in the DB web page appears to be weight %, not % calories from carbs

5. Chris and Checkers

Is there a way of calculating the % of calories from carbs using %weight? I am still not sure if this is a low carb food. I have put off feeding Checkers this for now.

6. Chuckington

Chuckington Member

I'm just curious - do you notice adverse effects on his sugar when he's eaten the food? Like is there any physical evidence of it being a high carb food?

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Chris --

I think the additional consideration is whether you're holding the dose a bit too long. With SLGS you evaluate the dose once a week after you do a curve. It's been 11 days since you raised Checker's dose. If you hold a dose too long and numbers are not in normal range, glucose toxicity can develop. The term sounds worse than it is. What it means is that your cat's body starts treating the higher numbers as the new "normal." It can make it more challenging to get the numbers into a lower range and may contribute to bouncing.

If you want more experienced Lantus users to lend a hand, you may want to consider posting on the Lantus board.

8. Chris and Checkers

I haven't really seen anything to suggest that it is high carb, though he isn't really regulated yet. I thought diet may be a factor.

Chuckington likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.