AlphaTrax2 2 Code conversions?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Stephanie Lezotte, Sep 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stephanie Lezotte

Stephanie Lezotte New Member

I just spent an entire day taking a glucose curve, and just now realizeD my test strip code had changed from 93 to 37. Do any conversion spreadsheets/calculators exist? His readings were super high over 12-hrs: 439, HI, 698, 635. Can I trust these numbers? Control solution was 158 (wrong code) 136 (correct code). Doesn’t seem TOO too off, right?

Vet fears insulin injections are no longer doing the job due to urinary evidence of internal inflammation and infection, so I was really eager to provide her with accurate readings tomorrow.

Anyone have experience with results accuracy using the wrong test strip code?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    Reason for edit: Clarity question
  2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

HI Stephanie, and welcome to FDMB.

Can't help with the Alphatrak coding question, I'm afraid. Just wanted to say 'hello' and, because your kitty is running so high at the moment, to suggest you check his pee daily as a safety precaution to make sure he's ketone-free. Some helpful resources:

Testing Your Cat for Ketones

Tips for Collecting Urine Samples

Mogs

4. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Thanks Mogs im typing in the dark and still waking up :rolleyes:

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

I can't really help on the code conversion thing either, but (unfortunately) I kind of doubt there's any kind of calculator.

The control strip results were encouraging, and as Mogs says, the numbers are pretty high anyway, so you are probably getting the important information out of the tests, even if the numbers aren't "correct". The only other thing I would suggest (if you don't mind burning a couple more strips) is to do the same experiment as you did with the control solution but on your kitty's blood. Just in case something weird happens at the high (at least using code 93) numbers, or with cat blood itself. But like I said, that's probably just going to be duplicate information for what you already know-- his numbers are too high :(.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  6. Stephanie Lezotte

Thanks for your replies! I suspect they are just too high as well, wrong code or not. It's a shame AlphaTrax doesn't provide some sort of converter - I imagine this happens often! Just texted the vet and we'll see what she wants to do. We have been doing a urinalysis every week (I use that sand litter to collect but will look into the strips for my own purpose).

7. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Be sure to let us know how you get on with the vet, and shout out for any help you need. :)

Mogs

8. Polgeria

Polgeria Member

Hello and welcome!
    I'm a former AT user! The constantly changing code between one bottle and the next was one of the factors that led me to switch to a human meter.
    I also spent an entire day testing at the wrong code.

Even though I did the same thing as you, I am unable to answer your question. My best recommendation is to retest at the correct code to find out.

I almost chucked the dang thing into a wall. I'd save yourself some future headaches and money and switch to a human meter. It's a slight learning curve, but in the long run, worth it. No more codes, and strips at a third of the price.

9. Stephanie Lezotte

I was so upset! My cat is 16 (Been on insulin 2-3 years) and sleeps hard and often, so I was literally waking him up to prick his ear. I felt like I had wasted my time and his, and it’s usually such a relief when I finish that fourth test of the day! The vet said to increase his units and re-curve in 2 weeks when his antibiotics are done. I wish I were better at the pricking! He just seems to have no blood haha

jt and trouble (GA) and Polgeria like this.
  10. Polgeria

Polgeria Member

For what it's worth, I don't think that testing at the wrong code makes too much of the a difference, I also did Mouse's curve on the wrong code, and the numbers weren't that far off her normal ones.
    I also saw somewhere that the Alphatrak 2 should be set to code 7 regardless of the strip bottle. I think that's in the forum somewhere, (I'll see if I can find it and link it in an edit) but I don't recall seeing that in the packet for the glucometer. Maybe a call to the manufacturer is in order?

11. Polgeria

Polgeria Member

I haven't been able to find the information on the code 7.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.