Advise for seeing a vet or not

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JenaThompson, Sep 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JenaThompson

JenaThompson Member

Hey everyone. So opi’s numbers have been steady between 100-200 preshot and hitting greens when I do have chances to test inbetween but he has been have spurts of diarrhea that will a couple days and then be fine for weeks. He had diarrhea constantly when he was having high numbers so last night I checked him when it happened(+4) he was at 69. He had a pet sitter all weekend since we had to leave town and he had a few blow outs then too. Wondering if anybody has an idea what it could be or should it be a vet visit. He is staying hydrated also. He is still a kibble junkie☹️ And puts his nose up at wet food no matter what we try.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Have you tries different kibbles? I wonder if he's allergic to one of the proteins - or other filler foods - in the dry food. There are some with different meats out there, or freeze dried raw or air dried meat (Ziwipeak) that have novel proteins but still have crunch and are lower carb.

Somethings seems to be upsetting his GI system, it probably is worth a conversation with the vet to check for intestinal issues that could be addressed.

3. JenaThompson

JenaThompson Member

4. JenaThompson

JenaThompson Member

He hated young again so we switched to dr. Elseys but as far as I know those are the only 2 kibble that are ok. He also won’t eat any of the freeze dried. We have also been on the food for along time so nothing is new.

5. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

:eek:
    I thought my Zoe was the only cat in the world that hated them. WELCOME NEIGHBOR! :p

Critter Mom likes this.
  6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Some allergies take a while to show up. But regardless, sounds like a discussion with the vet is a good idea.

7. JenaThompson

JenaThompson Member

Yea he mean mugs me every time we have tried anything besides his kibble

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  8. JenaThompson

JenaThompson Member

I’m just worried what the vet will want to do. We have now seen 5 of them. This last one wanted him on a way higher dose and they all insisted on their prescription food which I know isn’t good.

9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

You may need to look for something that's a novel protein. Are you sure that Opi isn't getting into anything he shouldn't?

10. JenaThompson

JenaThompson Member

Yes I am sure. The other cat food in the house is the pate that he won’t eat and he can’t get into our food in the cupboards either. I even have their food boxed up bc him and his brother like to chew holes in the bag so we keep it put away.

11. THH & Snowcrash (GA)

THH & Snowcrash (GA) Member

Any weight loss? Weight loss plus diarrhea would definitely warrant a vet appointment. Might not be a bad idea anyway, especially if he hasn't had senior labs done recently.

12. JenaThompson

JenaThompson Member

He was putting weight back on but I think he may have lost some again. I’m just curious too why it would happen for a couple days and then he will be fine for a few weeks and then it happens again.

13. Patty & Teal'c

Patty & Teal'c Member

Teal'c also won't eat freeze dried, he looks at it and then looks at me as if to say "what am I supposed to do with that" :cool: I ended up giving it to the dogs they didn't even question it lol.

14. JenaThompson

JenaThompson Member

Lol. Yea I did get him to eat wet food one time w fortiflora but would only eat where it was I even tried mixing it all him and just sits on the counter staring at me with his ears back. He used to eat the gravy ones before I found out those weren’t good for him.

Patty & Teal'c likes this.
  15. jt and trouble (GA)

I think we need to come up with our own recipe for "gravy"...:rolleyes:

Polgeria likes this.
  16. JenaThompson

JenaThompson Member

right then he might eat it. With the kids going back to school at least I should have some more time to try and get him to eat wet again.

17. jt and trouble (GA)

Fingers and paws crossed!

JenaThompson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.