Advice on increasing Prozinc

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by MimiG, Nov 12, 2023.

1. MimiG

MimiG Member

Freddie’s AMPS and PMPS have been higher than usual in the last week - black and red numbers. Also his nadir today was a red number. He did have a procedure at the vets on November 1st - removal of a benign growth on his gums. https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/inappropriate-urination-vet-appointment-tomorrow.282942/ He is behaving normally and eating fine. I have noticed bigger clumps of urine in his litter box and increased drinking.

I am inclined to increase tonight’s dose by .25 or .5 units. Does this sound feasible?

2. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Ugh! I hate seeing those blacks and reds. I definitely would increase by .25 units tonight. I don’t recommend a half unit increase because some of his nadirs have been blue and even a green. Any chance to get a few more tests in? Any night time tests at all?

3. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Freddie looks like a cat who could really benefit from switching to Lantus (or generic glargine) insulin. The depot of the insulin should help lower the higher AMPS and PMPS readings and give you better duration - a longer run in lower numbers. You would need to get at least one mid-cycle test in both the a.m. and p.m.

Have you ever talked to your vet about switching?

4. MimiG

MimiG Member

No, I haven’t.
    I have not. I will see how this increase affects him. He has a recheck for his gum surgery in a couple of weeks but it’s not with his regular clinic and veterinarian. When I thought he had a UTI due to inappropriate urination a few weeks ago his clinic could not fit him in in a timely manner so I called around and got him a sooner appointment elsewhere.
    I almost always get a mid-cycle test during the day but not at night. I will try tonight before bedtime.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.