Advice for sammie please

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by sammiehyde, Nov 4, 2018.

1. sammiehyde

sammiehyde Member

I haven't posted for a while, but I need more advice for Sammie. As usual, his glucose is mostly high, with the occasional low number. My vet and I have a feeling he occasionally makes his own insulin and that's when he goes low , but there's no way to predict it. Anyway, if he goes much below 250 or so, I tend to stall his shot until he comes back up. Is this the right thing to do? I think I read about 250 being a good number to go by for the alpha trak somewhere on your site. Also, he's up to 8.5 units of insulin now, how high can he go? I'm hesitant to go too high since he does seem to be going low once in a while.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

That 156 is interesting. As for how high can he go - well, as high in dose as he needs to go. Some people have their kitty tested for high dose conditions like acromegaly or the presence of anti-insulin antibodies but some treat "as if". Getting some data in the +4 to +7 range on your days off would help fill out the picture. Right now it's hard to figure out what's going on.

Stalling for up to an hour is a good technique when the PS is below your comfort level and 250 on the AT is a general guideline. Once you have enough data, though, you can give insulin at the proper time on lower PSs. I guess I'm saying the same thing again - we'd need to see more data to give better advice.

Djamila likes this.