Acro and diarrhea

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by ~Tricia, Dec 26, 2023.

1. ~Tricia

~Tricia Member

Is diarrhea common in acro kitties? About 6 weeks ago Neptune developed watery stools. He stopped eating. I took him to the vet and he was given IV fluids, antibiotics, and anti-nausea injection. They also did an abdominal exray which showed inflammation in his bowels. He has improved. He’s eating regularly now. I originally started him on Fortiflora but switched him to a complete pre and pro biotic with digestive enzymes. His stool is still loose at times but not watery like it was. He does have some formed stools. Any suggestions for his bowels? I don’t think it is his food as he’s been eating Weruva and Tiki since July.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Inflammation in the bowels is relatively common in acros (and somewhat in non acros too). Depending on what part of the bowels are inflamed, it can result in diarrhea or vomiting. I was always "blessed" with the vomit.

The most common explanation for inflamed bowels is typically IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) or small cell lymphoma (SCL). Don't let the latter freak you out - it's a mild cancer and a large number of cats with it go into remission. If IBD, that means food allergy. So even if it's Weruva and or Tiki, it could be the fish and/or chicken he's allergic too. Both are common allergies. Some cats are allergic to the gums that go in foods. You might have to try a completely novel protein, one he's never had before. Examples like venison, rabbit, lamb. A couple good websites for IBD https://www.ibdkitties.net/ and https://www.rawfeedingforibdcats.org/ Both those sites have a section on s. boullardi which can be helpful for diarrhea control.

Which probiotic are you giving now? Fortiflora is a good flavor enhancer, not much else. I can recommend Visbiome (there is a pet version) that is specially made for IBD.

3. ~Tricia

~Tricia Member

I started him on the “complete probiotic” from Jackson Galaxy’s web site. Actually when I read over his X-ray read, the inflammation was in his stomach and both small and large intestines. I feel for him. I have IBD. He would push and push…poor guy. He doesn’t do that now.

Is there a treatment for SCL?

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll check out the links. I might pull out a venison steak from my freezer.

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Yes, but you have to diagnose whether it's IBD or SCL first. SCL involves a steroid, usually prednisolone but for diabetics or heart kitties that could be budesonide, as it was for Neko. The second part is a mild chemo medication called chlorambucil. Some IBD kitties need the steroid too, but you don't want to give the chemo to a cat until they have SCL. Current SCL kitty got diagnosed 5.5 years ago. Still in remission. But more complicated because she has IBD too, so I have to stay away from certain proteins. If just SCL, kitty can eat anything.

5. ~Tricia

~Tricia Member

When I took him to the vet she did give him the one dose of steroid. I see her in a couple weeks. I’ll question her further. She has been open to questions and changes I’ve suggested. She has even done research outside of work. At least this gives me more info to research. I appreciate your help! @Wendy&Neko

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.