Accuracy of ReliOn keytone urine test

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Scarlette & Fluffy, May 4, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scarlette & Fluffy

Scarlette & Fluffy Member

I was able to test Fluffy's urine for ketones using the ReliOn test strips and it came back negative. Other than identifiable symptoms how can I be sure that it's not a false negative? Fluffy is not currently displaying any symptoms he appears to be normal.

2. Corey & Kitty

Corey & Kitty Member

I personally have used the ReliOn brand ketone test strips on both myself (I attempted the keto diet) and my Kitty, with good results. Just keep in mind that they are only good for 6 months after the bottle is opened, its best to write the date that it was opened on top of the box. If you are concerned about false negatives and accuracy of the urine strips, you can always purchase a blood ketone meter, although the strips for them are a bit pricier. Many members here use the Nova Max ketone meter. It's similar to a glucometer but measures ketones in the blood. I personally have the Keto Mojo meter because I found the ketone strips to be the most economical with that meter.

Last edited: May 4, 2022
    Scarlette & Fluffy likes this.
  3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I think as long as they are in date they are reliable.
    I would be concerned about ketones if my cat was lethargic, not eating, not getting the insulin doses and not drinking enough and maybe had an infection.

Scarlette & Fluffy likes this.
  4. Scarlette & Fluffy

Scarlette & Fluffy Member

Do I conclude that testing his urine for ketones does not have to be done on a daily basis?

5. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

@Bron and Sheba

@Bandit's Mom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.