About food and appetite

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Katie and Fuzzy, Sep 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katie and Fuzzy

Katie and Fuzzy Member

I just need some advice about Fuzzy's diet. I have learned over the years that the only food that keeps him in remission and doesn't make him sick is Fancy Feast. The problem is that he's not eating as much as he used to. Since there's only certain FF flavors I can give him, I think he's become tired of most of them, as well as the fact his appetite always decreases when he's on insulin, even on a tiny amount that he's getting now. The only FF flavors he eats readily and will always finish the whole can are the 2 fish ones I give him, White Fish and Tuna and Salmon Feast. I know cats should not be getting fish more than once a week, and when he eats fish a small part of his stool will have a sort of pale color (this happens only after eating fish flavors and just a small amount of the stool will have this color. It's never seemed to bother him). The thing is, I would like to start feeding him fish more, like every second day since it's the only flavor he really enjoys and will eat every bite. Would this be ok? He is 20 years old which is like almost 100 in cat years so he's extremely picky and difficult. It would make it much easier for me, but I don't want to compromise his health either.

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I dont know enough about feline nutrition to answer your question but want to congratulate you 20 years!?! You must be doing something right. God bless you AND Fuzzy.
    jeanne

This will bump up your thread...

3. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

My first thought was what about trying something like fortiflora, some sprinkled on the to of the food may do the trick.

I get it from the vet but you can get other places too. I put a bit on Shadoe's food when she is not feeling great or eating very little. Some cats may not take to it much, but mine LOVE the powder!

Others may have suggestions on some toppers or snacks that are low carb and healthy that may do the trick.

4. Katie and Fuzzy

Katie and Fuzzy Member

Thanks jt and trouble. I had Fuzzy since I was really little, and he was born in our home and has never lived anywhere else, and he's super important to me. :D I hope he'll be with me for at least a few more years. I don't know how I would get along without him.

Gayle and Shadoe, thanks so much for that suggestion. I'm going to ask my vet about fortiflora and hopefully Fuzzy will love it and the problem will be solved! :mrgreen:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.