911 — AGAIN! Barry is now at 657!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by barrybuttonsmom, Jan 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barrybuttonsmom

barrybuttonsmom Member

Barry had a hypoglycemic crisis this morning with a BG of 32. Gave subQ fluids, cerenia, and dextrose.
    We were:

98 at 3:38p
    119 at 5:10p
    196 at 7:32p
    657 at 10:12p

I did not give any insulin tonight as instructed by the vet. I just called him and he had me give 2u prozinc. He actually tried to bite me while giving which he has never ever done. I am really freaking out. What is going on? Is he going to make it? He seems ... okay. Out of it. But can walk and purrs when being pet.

2. Luxe

Luxe Member

So sorry to hear about barrys hypo! I have a barry too btw :)
    Im pretty new myself to all of this but im guessing a bouce from being so low earlier. I saw your earlier post that he was at 32?? Im so terrified of seeing numbers like that. I know with my cat when his numbers get really high (he originally was in the 500-600 range constantly) he was extra moody. So possibly tried to bite because he's still not feeling 100%?? I hope he feels better and now that you gave him the insulin he drops back down into better numbers. (Though if it is a bounce i've been told it can take up to 6cycles to clear)

Panic and Critter Mom like this.
  3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Emily,

I see Christie replied on your other thread, but I just wanted to reply here about the bitey behaviour. The wide swing in BG and the bouncy high numbers might be making Barry feel not so hectic right now, and that might in turn make him feel a bit cranky. I'm sure it'll pass. :bighug:

Mogs

katy and mo (GA) likes this.
  4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Cats can be upper bouncy and sensitive to insulin following a life threatening hypo. Be careful.

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I’d say he is feeling lousy from the low number than the high number. I’m sure he didn’t mean to try and bite you. He is probably feeling confused. Do you have a spreadsheet?

6. barrybuttonsmom

barrybuttonsmom Member

Yes -- I think it is working in my signature now

JanetNJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.