? 9/8 Question about BG when in remission

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Laurisaurus, Sep 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laurisaurus

Laurisaurus Member

This is a question for everyone who has experience with remission. What was your cats normal BG? I have no idea what Penny’s ‘normal’ BG was once upon a time but now I feel like she keeps running low. She’ll be at 60-65 in the morning and will jump up to 80 or so after eating but quickly goes back down to to the 60’s and sometimes lower. I’m feeding her frequently to try and keep her from going too low. I feel like this is more work than it was when I was giving insulin!

Does anyone have experience with lower BG when first in remission? I don’t want to worry myself into a panic attack if I don’t need to.

She has been a bit off lately as I think her ear infection is back and she’s not eating as much as I would like. Should I be concerned about the lower BG? I wonder if she feels odd because she got used to having a higher BG for who knows how long.

The good news is that her fur feels great. She has felt greasy and dirty to me for years. I just assumed that this was just the way her fur texture was. In the past 2 weeks that changed and her fur is nice and soft now and she’s not shedding nearly as much.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

RELAX!!....Those are purrfect numbers!!

A non-diabetic cat's blood glucose can be 40-120...No need for you to feed or freak out! I have a civvie that routinely tests in the mid 30's

If you think she may have an ear infection, get that looked into but stop worrying about her BG as long as it's that beautiful!!

3. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly Trouble went anywhere from 100 to 80 at any random test. When he was at 100 I tested more often (scared he'd slide off the rails) But he developed a pattern of 100 every few days. We attributed it too food. . After about year I never saw another 100 reading, BUT I wasnt testing AS much.
    I think it was 2 years later he passed peacefully away one night. We were shocked because he was healthy and happy. We never knew what "took" him.

4. Laurisaurus

Laurisaurus Member

I just started Tresaderm drops for her ears tonight. Hopefully it helps. She seems restless and uncomfortable right now. Wouldn’t it be great if they could just tell us what was wrong?

5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Now that's a good reason to test at least daily....it's a steroid. Most cats do fine with it, but since it is a steroid, keep a close eye on the BG.

AMEN!!! Sure would make it a lot easier on us beans!

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  6. Laurisaurus

Laurisaurus Member

Absolutely. The vet and I chatted and decided to risk it since I will be testing at least twice a day. I’ll be able to see if BG starts to go up right away. She said she has never seen a cat’s BG get out of control as it’s a pretty low dose and basically a topical. And she’s had plenty of diabetics use it without issue but it’s always better to monitor.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.