? 9/26 Xander AMPS 297 +2 179 +3 105 +4 97 PMPS 269 - Another increase/wait/try new vial?

Albert & Xander

Member Since 2025
Yesterday's post

I'm unsure of what to do. Its now cycle 6 of the second increased dose, and we have only seen two barely green nadirs (99 and 95). Should I wait a few more cycles or go ahead with another increase? I'm also wondering if I should test out a new vial to eliminate that as a possible issue, although unlikely.

This loss of regulation is pretty disheartening. He's always struggled with high preshots, but never this high and with no normal nadirs. He's historically been so incredibly predictable and I'm struggling to understand what changed, as there really isn't any other indication of something being wrong other than one rare vomit a few days ago that didn't seem to affect his appetite or behavior at all. He's eating well and acting just as social and friendly.

The predominant glucose pattern now seems to be super high preshots, a huge drop down by +2/+3 and then a corresponding spike back up, continuously repeated.
 
Today he is eating smaller meals, maybe it is a wave of pancreatitis? Or maybe its just a one off lower appetite day

Pancreatitis never really affected his BG in the past though
 
Sorry that Xander has been showing you these higher numbers Albert :(. It is disheartening when you have to keep going up on the dose without seeing a big corresponding improvement.

For whatever it’s worth, Moonie’s pancreatitis flare ups never seem to affect her numbers, and if anything, some of her best “green flat days” were on days she wasn’t feeling so well.

Are you towards the end of your Lantus vial or can you see anything floaty? If so, I’d be inclined to open a new vial and see if that makes a difference.

Or another possibility that I’ve been wondering about with Moonie - has he had a dental checkup recently? Moonie got hers in April but with her needing this higher dose, it got me thinking that I’d try to bring her in for a quick exam.
 
Sorry that Xander has been showing you these higher numbers Albert :(. It is disheartening when you have to keep going up on the dose without seeing a big corresponding improvement.

For whatever it’s worth, Moonie’s pancreatitis flare ups never seem to affect her numbers, and if anything, some of her best “green flat days” were on days she wasn’t feeling so well.

Are you towards the end of your Lantus vial or can you see anything floaty? If so, I’d be inclined to open a new vial and see if that makes a difference.

Or another possibility that I’ve been wondering about with Moonie - has he had a dental checkup recently? Moonie got hers in April but with her needing this higher dose, it got me thinking that I’d try to bring her in for a quick exam.
That's good to know, mirrors what I have seen in the past when he had pancreatitis flares. Pretty normal numbers.

The lantus vial is actually very new. He was having some worsening numbers before I switched vials on the 6th, but it seems a few days after the new vial is when things really started to get worse. Could be coincidence though since the insulin seems fine in appearance.

He hasn't had a full dental check up but at his last appointment the vet didn't seem too concerned after looking at his gum and teeth that she could take a look at unsedated. He definitely could use a cleaning and full exam though. He doesn't seem to show any obvious signs of tooth discomfort but I know how well pain is hidden by them. Hard to know whether to approach this with higher insulin or a vet visit looking for some sort of systemic problem.
 
That's good to know, mirrors what I have seen in the past when he had pancreatitis flares. Pretty normal numbers.

The lantus vial is actually very new. He was having some worsening numbers before I switched vials on the 6th, but it seems a few days after the new vial is when things really started to get worse. Could be coincidence though since the insulin seems fine in appearance.

He hasn't had a full dental check up but at his last appointment the vet didn't seem too concerned after looking at his gum and teeth that she could take a look at unsedated. He definitely could use a cleaning and full exam though. He doesn't seem to show any obvious signs of tooth discomfort but I know how well pain is hidden by them. Hard to know whether to approach this with higher insulin or a vet visit looking for some sort of systemic problem.
I hope you can solve this mystery! Sometimes I also wonder if the cats occasionally need a stronger “breakthrough dose” to take them down to normal numbers for a bit before you can start reducing again. That may be just my wishful thinking though :)
 
Back
Top