9/15 KittenCat AMPS #84

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jenifer, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Jenifer

Jenifer Member

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

She’s looking so good. I still would shoot the 0.1. See if others agree. @Sue and Luci @Critter Mom @Wendy&Neko

The reason being to make sure you get a strong remission. Have you counted the number of drops on your 0.1? You could count and then decrease from there.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  3. Jenifer

Jenifer Member

Oh gosh! I have not tried counting. Do I just fill the syringe to .1 and then push it out drop by drop and count? And idk if this makes a difference in decisions but I won’t be home to test her throughout the day. I can come home at lunch in about 5 hours but that’s it.

4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

With SLGS you don't shoot under 90. However, it does look like it would be a good idea for her to be on insulin a little longer. Elise has a good idea of counting the drops and trying a reduction based on that.

Can you leave food out for her and she will eat it?

5. Jenifer

Jenifer Member

So I shot her with this dose. Basically right at the line. Just a teensie bit under. My husband is home and can feed her. He just can’t test her. She will NOT allow him to do it for whatever reason. She runs when he grabs her fish treats. We’ve tried having him in the room with me while I do her tests and we’ve tried it with him giving her the treats and getting the equipment ready and me only doing the poke and she still won’t let him. I will come home at lunch to check her. Thank you guys!!!!! F5A86C31-6D80-4149-88A7-7463C5A59BA1.jpeg

Sue and Luci likes this.
  6. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good plan.

Jenifer likes this.
  7. tiffmaxee

That’s how you do it. I was sure you hadn’t done that yet. It’s not needed too much but when so close to remission (anti-jinx) it’s used. We want a strong one so if she can stay on even that tiny a dose for awhile it’s good for her. You can practice with a used syringe and colored water when you get home. I’m glad you shot this morning. Exciting time!:D:D:D

8. Jenifer

Jenifer Member

Awesome! That's what it sounded like you meant when you said counting drops but you never know....... Some things aren't always so literal. I'm so excited! i hope this is the real deal! I'm going to read up on remission protocol today :)

9. tiffmaxee

Fingers and paws crossed here. E4B22849-E379-4C0F-9396-479967220C7E.png

Jenifer likes this.
  10. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

To count drops, fill to the old dose, and twist the plunger to get out a drop. Practice a few time to get consistent sized drops, then count. To get the new dose, do half that number of drops by squeezing them out from the old dose.

KittenCat's spreadsheet isn't solid green yet, yellows and higher blues are too recent. I think she still needs the insulin training wheels a bit longer.

Jenifer and Sue and Luci like this.
  11. Jenifer

Jenifer Member

So my hubby just texted me and told me he was able to test her and she is at 49. Are we in karo syrup territory here? i was going to maybe head home........ He's doing another test right now to confirm numbers.

12. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Is your kitty symptomatic? Looks like Friskies Gravy worked at the 52 the other night? You can try HC food first as it will last longer than syrup. 1-2 teaspoons and then test 20 minutes.

I'm still somewhat new here myself and I don't see many people online but I'll tag a few - @Sue and Luci @Wendy&Neko @tiffmaxee @Panic

tiffmaxee and Panic like this.
  13. JaxBenji

You can also throw up at ? and edit your title saying you need help to get more eyes.

14. Jenifer

Jenifer Member

Ok. That's what i had him do. She got somw
    Thanks you! THat is what I had him do. He gave her some Pounce treats which I'm sure are high carb and a can of Indoor wet food with gravy that is 25g of carbs and is going to test her in 20 minutes. Seeing a "4" at the beginning of her # kind of sent me into a panic! Lol! :nailbiting:

JaxBenji likes this.
  15. Jenifer

Jenifer Member

And no symptoms from what I can tell. She wasn't acting weird or anything, I just had him try testing her to see if she would allow and she did.........

tiffmaxee likes this.
  16. JaxBenji

Totally get it! Every new number freaked me out the first time I saw it. Good job testing and monitoring. You'll want to make sure she rises. I referenced the "low number sticky" - link here -

If your cat is testing in low numbers and you are not getting a quick response to your post, there are several things you need to do. (Low numbers are under 50mg/dL or 2.8 mmol/L.)
    • Depending on how carbohydrate sensitive your cat is, feed approximately a teaspoon or less of gravy from high carb food or high carb food only. (If you have a cat with GI issues, using a couple of drops of syrup plus low carb food is an alternative.)
    • Test again in 15 – 20 min. Depending on the numbers, give more HC food.
    • Repeat the above steps every 15 – 20 min. until your cat tests in the 50 mg/dL (2.8 mmol/L) or above range for 2 consecutive tests. Continue to feed in small amounts to keep numbers in a safe range.
    • Test in 30 - 40 min. and repeat the test and feed process until there are 2 consecutive tests where numbers are stable or rising.
    • Test in an hour and follow the same steps.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  17. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

When you see a drop below 50, you want to immediately intervene with HC. 1 tsp gravy. Feed it and test again in 15-20 minutes.

JaxBenji likes this.
  18. JaxBenji

Also that 49 is super close to your 52 and you all handled that well. You're doing great :bighug:

19. Butters & Lyla

@Jenifer has he gotten another test?

20. JaxBenji

I should have tagged you Lyla with your low # experience ;)

Butters & Lyla likes this.
  21. Butters & Lyla

Okay, I'm just catching up on my reading. So it looks like you are in between tests. Will know how to proceed once he gets the next one.

22. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Susanne is spot-on, have him check again in 15-20 min. :) You'll have to reduce ... good luck with that! :woot:

Jenifer, Butters & Lyla and JaxBenji like this.
  23. Butters & Lyla

Trust me, we have all been there! Lol. The first time I saw a 49, I immediately gave Butters a tablespoon of syrup and a can of high carb wet food. I was completely panic stricken.

Jenifer likes this.
  24. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Better safe than sorry, right Lyla? ;)
    I never did break the tab off my karo syrup but any time we dropped under ... I don't know, 100, I was letting Panic eat a whole can of FF!

Jenifer and Butters & Lyla like this.
  25. Butters & Lyla

That's right! :D I know there's a saying we use around here...but basically, better too high than too low. My memory recall sucks.

ETA: better a day too high than a hypo! I think that's it. :cat:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    Jenifer and Panic like this.
  26. Jenifer

Jenifer Member

Ugh! Thanks everyone! Sorry for the freak out! I saw the 40's #, which we've never hit before, and I panicked. Plus I'm not home and I'm kind of a control freak so I start wondering if he did it right and if he'll notice if she's having symptoms, etc. She is hiding out under a cabinet right now licking up all the gravy from the HC food he brought her. He is going to test her in about 10 minutes and let me know.

And omg! @Panic that is exactly what I've done the few times Kitten has hit the lows. :smuggrin: Too funny! kitty5.JPG

tiffmaxee and JaxBenji like this.
  27. Butters & Lyla

No need to apologize. This is what we're here for.:)
    Awaiting results from the next test. Control freak, eh? I know nothing of which you speak. ;)

Jenifer and tiffmaxee like this.
  28. tiffmaxee

Good catch. She really let you know you need to count the drops when you get home. It’s scary when you see a drop under 50 the first time.

Jenifer and Butters & Lyla like this.
  29. Jenifer

Jenifer Member

She's up to 97 which I'm sure is because of the massive overkill of carbs he probably gave her. I texted him and asked him to test her again and hes responded back with, "97. I just saved her life!" Hahahahahahaha! What a dork!

30. tiffmaxee

Lol! Typical cat lets him test her when not much more testing needed.

31. Jenifer

Jenifer Member

Exactly!

32. tiffmaxee

And hubby to the rescue, lol.

33. tiffmaxee

Just checking to see how it’s going. Did you count drops or skipping tonight?

34. Jenifer

Jenifer Member

I was just getting ready to try counting drops. Just did her PS and it was 109. Going to try and give half of the dose that I gave this am and then check her every two hours until bedtime

35. tiffmaxee

Good plan. Just wanted to make sure you reduced. Less is better than more so if three drops give 1. I know you know that.

36. Jenifer

Jenifer Member

Thank you! It looks like it’s around 3-4 drops that I have this am. So I’m going to play it safe and give 1 I think

tiffmaxee likes this.