9/14 Kirbys low

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Chrissyt7183, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Chrissyt7183

Chrissyt7183 Member

Hello. My cats + 10 is 121. I’m new to dosing HelP how should I proceed

2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi, is your spreadsheet updated? I don't see any readings after AMPS +11 yesterday.

3. Chrissyt7183

Chrissyt7183 Member

It is now. Ty.

4. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

What is the AMPS? Add to your title please. Not on your SS...'sigh'.

I'm working today, so I only have a few minutes here and there to look at condos...

5. THH & Snowcrash (GA)

THH & Snowcrash (GA) Member

Are you home today so you can test? If not, I believe the protocol would be to skip this morning since you don't have much data yet.

(edit: Sorry I thought the 121 was AMPS.)

6. Chrissyt7183

Chrissyt7183 Member

I’m not going to be home. He tested 190 amps. Climbed very slowly.the +10 test was 121.

7. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Just here to link up the cross-post in the Main Forum - here. @Critter Mom was giving dosing advice there. I believe the best practice is just to have one open conversation on the topic so advice can stay consistent.

8. Chrissyt7183

Chrissyt7183 Member

Me too

9. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Since you are using Lantus, if you post in the Lantus forum for dosing advice, you are likely to get more eyes on your question.

10. Chrissyt7183

Chrissyt7183 Member

I thought I was on lantus. Sorry

11. JaxBenji

You're doing great! Everyone just wants you and your kitty to be safe :bighug: The issue was you posted here (on the lantus board) AND responded to your old condo on the Main Forum. Going forward, just use your current condo for any questions/issues - you can edit the Thread Title (up at the top) and use the question mark and change the text.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  12. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I was just looking on the main forum and said to start a new one disregard that and continue here when you get home.

13. Chrissyt7183

Chrissyt7183 Member

ok ill be home in 6.5 hours. im going test get a bg asap thanks

14. tiffmaxee

Just checking back. I don’t see any info on your ss since you went to work. I hope all is good.

15. Chrissyt7183

Chrissyt7183 Member

Hello. I tested my cat the result was in the 400 s. He ate so I can’t pmps for another hour. I was disappointed I skipped the shot and he was high.

16. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Since you skipped this morning, and he's sky high, it will be safe to shoot now.

Now you've learned how Kirby responds to a skip, you have data to help you decide what to do next time.
    She isn't following the TR protocol, she is following SLGS which is a dosing method, not a protocol.

17. Chrissyt7183

Chrissyt7183 Member

I understand. I will follow up with you all ty.

18. Chrissyt7183

Chrissyt7183 Member

His sugar is 300 I’m confused. Maybe the reading was off before.

19. tiffmaxee

The bg numbers will fluctuate. That’s why it’s called a sugar dance. It’s high because you skipped his dose this morning. So the depot will need to build again. It will come down again. This is when patience on your part comes in. Everyone goes through this. If the plus three hasn’t dropped much you won’t need to test until morning. It’s interesting that it’s lower than the previous test. Since you didn’t shoot this morning you can change your time if you like and shoot early. It might be too late for that though.

Critter Mom likes this.
  20. Chrissyt7183

Chrissyt7183 Member

I shot on time.

21. Chrissyt7183

Chrissyt7183 Member

And yes it’s interesting. It dropped that much. I’ll follow up tomorrow.

22. Chrissyt7183

Chrissyt7183 Member

What should I expect now since the depot needs to build .? And do you think I should hold the one unit ?i know I get scared when his sugar is lower then I’m used to and I panic when I see good numbers through the cycle.

23. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Can you remind me why you lowered the dose to 1.0 units? Under SLGS, your goal is to get to a dose where the nadirs or low points are between 90 and 149, which is very safe and some healing can still happen. 1.25 units was giving you really nice numbers for SLGS.
    With the skip and lowered dose, you will see some higher numbers than you have seen lately.

24. Chrissyt7183

Chrissyt7183 Member

I think once I seen decent steady numbers I got scared. It scared me when he was in the 100s for over six hours. I get scared. I just started testing two weeks ago.

Critter Mom likes this.
  25. Chrissyt7183

Chrissyt7183 Member

Also I felt like his nadir or his lows lasted hours. Is it me ?

26. tiffmaxee

You had just switched from dry food as well which is why you were concerned I believe. When Lantus starts working you get nice flat cycles. Blues and greens are what you want to see. Have you looked at anyone else’s spreadsheets? It never occurred to me to do that at first. It’s really helpful to get an idea of what to e pact and what’s normal. Check out Butters and Jax. They are doing TR. Also look at KittenCat. She’s following SLGS.

Critter Mom likes this.
  27. Chrissyt7183

Chrissyt7183 Member

I looked at some of those spreadsheets you told me to. I noticed at times they don’t shoot. For example pmps 68 kittencat did not shoot. Is under 70 the no shot zone ? Even with data there has to be a stopping point. Can you explain? And when in some post shots would you try giving a token dose ? Sorry I’m just trying to learn. Ty.

Critter Mom likes this.
  28. JaxBenji

Hi! Do you have a new condo for today? Remember the format of MM/DD Kirby AMPS ###.

Also I checked KittenCat's condo from the day she skipped (also a great example of how important the condo titles are :) )- it's here - and on SLGS, below 90 is a no shot number unless you have data. In KittenCat's case, it looks like the forum was having technical issues so they didn't want to shoot without being able to reach the support that is here.

Here's the excerpt from SLGS dosing method: We usually don't suggest or recommend shooting a preshot number less than 90 mg/dL when following the SLGS Method. Remember that with SLGS, generally speaking, your goal is to achieve flat numbers that are greater than 90 mg/dL. However, let experience, data collected, knowledge of your cat, and availability to monitor help in making the best decisions for your cat.

I am doing TR and have never skipped a shot since starting TR 08/23/20. I have shot as low as 52 but I also have a lot of data and have learned an enormous amount from Elise and others. It's so important to "know thy cat" - and one way of knowing thy cat is testing. I have also learned a ton about the insulin depot and shooting low to stay low.

I read through the dosing methods all the time. The sticky on them is at the top of the forum along with the one on insulin depot - such important information.

Keep reading :) Over and over. And asking questions :) it will all start to click. And start a new condo for today :cat:

29. Chrissyt7183

Chrissyt7183 Member

What’s the diff between shoot low stay low and slgs?can you send me the link to the shoot low stay low I found only slgs.

30. JaxBenji

It's just a saying - "shoot low to stay low" - provided the number is a safe number to shoot. The saying is not specific to SLGS or TR. The idea is that you are never shooting your AMPS or PMPS number - you are shooting the numbers that come in other parts of the cycle since the onset of lantus is not immediate (I believe it's 2-4 hours after shot). Whenever shooting a lower number, you must be willing to monitor and test.

Can you start a new condo for today? Thank you :)

tiffmaxee likes this.
  31. Chrissyt7183

Chrissyt7183 Member

Yes I can start a new one today. Soon

tiffmaxee and Sue and Luci like this.
  32. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

There is the TR: Tight Regulation Protocol, and then SLGS: Start Low Go Slow dosing method.
    Here is the sticky on shooting lower numbers, where it discusses shooting low to stay low. You should collect more data and understand what patterns you are seeing with Kirby's numbers before you shoot low without asking for help first. Until then, the general rule of thumb is that if you are facing a pre-shot number of 150 or less you should post in your condo for help on how to proceed.
    With TR, you can shoot as low as 50, but not below 50. Again, looking at the data guides caregivers and the experienced people on here. I was facing a 50 preshot recently and I shot a 1/2 dose because Butters was breaking a bounce and her numbers were sliding down all day. It was my first time in that situation and I wasn't comfortable with the full dose, but next time I would give her the full dose.

Critter Mom likes this.
  33. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good plan. Remember to include a link to this condo, please.

tiffmaxee and Sue and Luci like this.
  34. Chrissyt7183

Chrissyt7183 Member

I don’t know how to link to a new one

35. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Set up the new one first! Then someone can help you with copy/pasting the url from this one to the next one.

Butters & Lyla likes this.
  36. tiffmaxee

I can’t find your new condo.