? 9/1 Penny AMPS 205 on alpha 128 on Relion -meter variation? help needed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Laurisaurus, Sep 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laurisaurus

Laurisaurus Member

Does this seem right? This morning she was 205 on alpha Trak. I retested on Relion and got 128. Does this variation seem correct? I’m planning on switching today but I want to make sure that I understand the number differences first so I don’t freak out when I see a number lower than I’m used to.

ALSO skipped her shot last night and she didn’t climb! Maybe she’s starting to regulate herself. Shot .75 this morning (maybe closer to .5 as a drop came out as I was walking over). We’ll see how the day goes.

Adding link to last nights condo for clarity.
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...in-am-i-doing-this-right.234415/#post-2623722

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Hiya, @JaxBenji seemed to know about the switching from Alphatrak to Relion.
    I've always since 2006 had Bayer Contour, see my singature and profile,

This is the Bg levels for either Relion or Contour
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/bg-convert.htm
    The Relion 128 means no insulin should be given.
    Never if under 180 (10)

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  3. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

The Relion (human meter) is almost always pretty much guaranteed to give you lower numbers than the AT2. There's really no generally reliable way to convert between the two measurements-- essentially, they're making different assumptions about where the glucose is likely to be in the blood (e.g., plasma vs RBC) and extrapolating from their sample. So they're essentially measuring different things.

Here's the one point at which we do have a direct comparison: the "take action" (too low, give some high carb food) numbers. On an AT2, that was 68. On human meters, it's 50, so going forward, that's the number you should remember.

Other than that, it might be helpful to note that normal BG on a cat runs around 50-120 on a human meter. All of the dosing methods on this site assume that the caregiver is using a human meter.

4. Laurisaurus

Laurisaurus Member

This is super helpful. Thanks. I'm testing with both today so that I can get a feel for the differences. I'm almost out of AT strips so I'll probably have to use Relion tonight so I want to make sure that I'm comfortable. Her Relion AM was 128, which I would never have shot, but she was 205 on AT which I'm comfortable with. It's going to be hard to switch my brain over as I'm a visual person. I have more AT strips coming tomorrow so I'll probably keep double testing for a day or so before cutting the AT cord. I do plan to use AT for curves as I know my vet will prefer to see those numbers.

@JaxBenji Any tips you have on switching over would be appreciated.

5. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Sounds like a plan!

Right. We generally have people start with a 200 "no-shoot" number, and then gradually start moving that down (eventually, on Lantus, it's possible to shoot anything over 50 on a human meter! Only after collecting a lot of data and becoming very familiar with your cat's patterns, of course). You've kinda gotten a head start on moving that number down-- shooting that 200 on an AT2 is like shooting a much lower number on a human meter-- but it's going to take a while to re-set the perspective so that it feels right! I think going slow and collecting Relion data for a while is a good plan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.