8.5 - Zed Back in the 400s steady. Bad isulin?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Bree&ZeddyBoy, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Bree&ZeddyBoy

Bree&ZeddyBoy Member

Hi all - We were seeing some progress on 3.5 units, but have been steady in the 400's again. Our Lantus is about 3 months old...could it be becoming less effective? He is eating and drinking normally. No ketones, urination is up a bit and is more sugary smelling again. We just went up to 3.75 but this doesn't seem like NDW. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, awesome people!!

2. Briere Fur Mom

Briere Fur Mom Well-Known Member

I wonder if you're holding Zed's doses too long. With TR you can increase the dose every 3 days/6 cycles if you're not seeing good BG values. It looks like he really likes to bounce too. I hope you get some great advice that leads to better #s for Zed.

I use to question my Lantus' potency. The first pen I opened when beginning our Lantus journey was used til the last drop with no issues. It was in use for a little less than 3 months. The next pen I opened was in use for about 3 months when I started questioning the potency. My boy's #s started to creep up. So, I opened a new pen and Moey's #s seemed to get back to normal. Whether it was the Lantus or Moey having an issue(infection etc), one only knows. Most members report no problems with using the Lantus well beyond 3 months. Hope this helps some:)

Sue and Luci likes this.
  3. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I just wanted to add briefly that I've used every Vial and Pen of Lantus to the last drop. As long as it was refrigerated properly it was effective.

I found more often than not that it was the cat, not the insulin at fault. Usually it was just me (not even the cat I could blame) for holding the dose too long, not testing enough or running low on patience...:rolleyes:

I had no idea when we started this journey that it would take so long for her to show improvements and I wasn't up to speed on how often to increase or decrease...I had to read that one over and over and over...and started counting cycles and THEN I'd post to ask the group if they agreed that it was time for an increase.

As @Briere Fur Mom mentioned - you need to continue increasing until you start to see better numbers...and that FS won't help...

Have a great day!

Briere Fur Mom likes this.
  4. Bree&ZeddyBoy

Bree&ZeddyBoy Member

Thanks very much! I know we held the 3.5 too long, but I had to travel for work and my husband wasn't comfortable giving .25 doses and he was terrified of a hypo situation as he has a broken foot and can't drive. Perfect storm. We are getting back on our TR protocol.

Briere Fur Mom likes this.
  5. Bree&ZeddyBoy

Bree&ZeddyBoy Member

Thank you! I know we held the 3.5 too long, but I had to travel for work and my husband wasn't comfortable giving .25 doses and he was terrified of a hypo situation as he has a broken foot and can't drive. Perfect storm. We are getting back on our TR protocol. What is FS by the way?

Sue and Luci likes this.
  6. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

FS = Fur Shot

Wasn't that what you wrote on your SS? You mentioned a partial dose...usually if you think it was a missed shot, we call it a 'fur shot'...meaning we're not sure how much if any of the insulin actually got in...and we never, ever try again after a FS. :)

Bree&ZeddyBoy likes this.
  7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

What you've likely been seeing is some glucose toxicity. Now that you get back onto increasing faster, it should help.

A lot of people have reported using vials up to six months, some longer. It's likely the cat, not the insulin. ;)

Sue and Luci and Bree&ZeddyBoy like this.