? 8/30 Changing meters, logistics help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Laurisaurus, Aug 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laurisaurus

Laurisaurus Member

Not sure what to do with Pen tonight. She hit 81 at +5 this morning and just had a pmps of 174. I stalled thinking it would go up and 30 minutes later she was at 154.

Should I skip? Give a tiny dose? I don’t want her to jump way back up but I also don’t want her to go too low tonight ( I really need to sleep).

I just fed her because she was getting hangry since it was almost an hour past food time.

This is all still so new that I can’t really see that she has any patterns yet to go by.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Laurisaurus

Laurisaurus Member

FYI. I posted in the Lantus forum earlier about her first green today. I’m not sure if I should stick to that forum or post here since this is the main.

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

It's best to stick to the Lantus forum....just "edit" your Subject line if you need to (like in this case, you could change it to "Stalling! Need help!"....once you have someone's attention, you can go back and edit it back to the usual format.

That being said, can you test as long as necessary tonight (even if it means a very late night?) Do you have plenty of supplies like test strips, medium and high carb foods, Karo/honey/syrup?

4. Laurisaurus

Laurisaurus Member

I have supplies. I’ve been sick and am running on very little sleep so I would selfishly prefer to sleep rather than be up testing all night.

5. Chris & China (GA)

Just an FYI...with Lantus, you can Test/Feed/Shoot all within 5-10 minutes. You don't have to wait a certain length of time before shooting. It sounds like you may be feeding, waiting 30 minutes then shooting?

Lantus doesn't usually start to "kick in" for 2-3 hours after the shot, so it's fine to feed and then shoot at the same time. The important things are to test when she hasn't had any food for at least 2 hours, then feed to make sure she's at least willing to eat, and shoot (most of us do the shot while their head's in the food bowl)

6. Chris & China (GA)

That's an important thing to tell us! You have to be healthy to take the best care of Penny!

I'd just skip tonight's shot....put N.S. in the U column and over in the "Remarks" put that you are sick and unable to test.

Start over at .75 tomorrow

7. Laurisaurus

Laurisaurus Member

I usually shoot within 20 minutes of feeding. I wait to make sure she doesn’t throw up, which she is prone to do if she eats too much or too fast.

8. Chris & China (GA)

The old "scarf and barf"! A common problem!! You can try spreading her food out thinly on a flat plate instead of a bowl which will make her slow down when she's eating or you can even put something like a golf ball or rock into the bowl that she has to "work around".

They also have special bowls and feeding matts you can buy that are designed to make them slow down when they eat.

9. Laurisaurus

Laurisaurus Member

I’ve tried it all. She’s been this way all her life. I just feed in small amounts and she does fine.

10. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

That's not selfish. You need to care for yourself as well as Penny. Bit like parents needing to put their own oxygen mask on first before looking after their kiddies in the event of an aircraft cabin depressurisation. :)

I hope you feel better soon.

Mogs

11. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending healing vines to wrap you in comfort.

Critter Mom likes this.
  12. Laurisaurus

Laurisaurus Member

I’m planning on changing meters this week. The Alpha strips are just too expensive for every day use. I have a Relion Prime and strips ready to go. How would I update my spreadsheet to reflect a new meter so that the color coding and numbers are correct?

13. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Fill the row of cells below the last Alphatrak readings with a different colour.

Type into one of the cells in that row "CHANGING TO HUMAN METER NUMBERS" so that members can see where the cut-off point is.

In the top LHS change the meter type to human, also change it in your signature.

If you give one of the forum spreadsheet bods a shout after that, they should be able to help you with changing the spreadsheet colour coding for the new meter (e.g. member 'Chris & China (GA)' ).

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.