8/3 Max AMPS 348 +3 305 +5 234 +7 161 +8 134 PMPS 148

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Max & Lori, Aug 3, 2022.

1. Max & Lori

Max & Lori Well-Known Member

Angela & Cleo likes this.
  2. Angela & Cleo

Angela & Cleo Well-Known Member

Max & Lori likes this.
  3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope the vet appointment goes well. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Max & Lori and Angela & Cleo like this.
  4. Max & Lori

Thanks so much. I hope so too. The ReLion Prime glucometer I had been using stopped working. Changed battery but still works half the time. Changed to the ReLion Classic at AMPS +3 check. Not sure what the meter variation is but I’d assume it is similar? ReLion Prime meter is no longer available, strips are, but not the meter. I will try and post again after Max’s vet visit this afternoon (4 pm or +10).

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
  5. Max & Lori

Just back from the vet with Max. He was diagnosed with feline hypertension today. His BP back at NC State in May was 180/96. She said his systolic is now 210 and that was high for a cat, even being at the vets office. She didn’t give me a diastolic reading. She put him on Amlodipine 2.5 mg tab. Give 1/4 tab q 24 hrs. I have to take him back next Friday for a BP recheck and his rabies vaccine because she didn’t give it to him today. Said he can get it next week and she thought he’d be fine with it. She was excited about his progress with his diabetes management. She said his exam looked really good. He’d lost a pound and now weighs 17 pounds. Max has always been a big cat, not necessarily chubby but just has a big frame. I was kind of bummed about the hypertension but I’m glad it was addressed and hopefully the Amlodipine will help. Any side effects in cats on Amlodipine that I need to be aware of, or anything else I need to be doing? @Wendy&Neko @FrostD anyone else. Thank you.

6. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Tiger(GA) and Ruth Well-Known Member

Sorry to read about the hypertension, poor Max. I am pretty sure @tiffmaxee and @Suzanne & Darcy have treated hypertension, and both I think have BP Cuffs. I hope one or both will chime in. Good news that his FD and insulin dose is dramatically reduced and good on you for taking such good care of your guy!! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

@tiffmaxee , @Suzanne & Darcy

Max & Lori likes this.
  7. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Max & Lori likes this.
  8. Max & Lori

Thanks Ruth. Maybe one or both of them can give me some help with the hypertension diagnosis. That would be great. Poor Max, we thought one thing is getting better then something else comes up. I know it’s kind of to be expected though. Still feel bad for him.

9. Max & Lori

10. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hypertension also common in acros.

Neko's first attempt at a BP measurement was over 215. Vet office was busy, noisy, vet was late due to emergency, put me onto a newbie tech who was having problems with equipment... Heck, I was hyperventilating along with Neko after all that. :rolleyes: Vet called it a fail, no charge. Second attempt at her acupuncture vet, much quieter clinic, but a puppy stuck his nose to her kennel door on his way past. :banghead: BP of 185. Down some, but still high. Next attempt, BP taken as part of her dental. She was put in a kennel in a room by herself, quiet, Feliway going. BP in the 140's. Most of her tests at the IM vet clinic, done by a tech who knew her stuff, was around the 140's. Bottom line, make sure he goes back for a retest not too far in the future after starting the meds.

The rest of the visit sounds great!

Max & Lori likes this.
  11. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Max did have high bp. He was diagnosed way before he had ckd or fd so I always wondered if it was real since he was such a scaredy-cat. He was on amlodipine. It didn’t seem to bother him. I did go back fir a recheck in about 7-10 days. I can’t remember now. I went so far as to spend a lot of money on bp equipment but only got to use it at my vet’s office once before his sudden passing. They now make some very inexpensive bp machines that I have seen people buy on Amazon and they match the bp at the vet’s office. I think there’s a section on tanyascrf about them.

Max & Lori likes this.
  12. Max & Lori

Thanks @Wendy&Neko …wow I’m glad you mentioned all of that. I actually thought about it and wondered how accurate it was. They were remodeling at the vets office. At first it was fine, we waited in the car. Then when they came to get us we walked right past some dogs in kennels that were barking. It was very noisy there today and unorganized because of the construction. The vet told me it was still too high despite that. He goes back on August 12 for the recheck. I guess I need to find out where I can get the equipment to check it at home myself to be safe.

13. Max & Lori

Thanks Elise. I think you posted while I was asking that very question about where I could get the equipment. I think it would be worth having. My Max is a scaredy-cat too. I thought about that affecting his BP as well. I will start the amlodipine tomorrow.

14. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I actually bought a refurbished Doppler. It was hard getting all the pieces together. Look on Tanya’s fur the ones she mentions. Kyle/Simon who was here one of them and says it’s accurate.

Max & Lori likes this.