8/18 - Chewie AMPS 488/ +3 384/ +7 365/ PMPS 332/ +3 339

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Virginie & Chewie (GA), Aug 18, 2022.

1. Virginie & Chewie (GA)

Virginie & Chewie (GA) Well-Known Member

Yesterday

High morning BG after last dinner at 11pm last night and no overnight snacks.
    In magentas all day, did not even beg for a snack at 5pm. Had her big evening meal right before her shot at 8pm.
    Tuna churu and pill bottle full of warm water are our new best friends. She gets a couple of licks every time I test her or inject her, and now she is so wrapped up in anticipating her treat that testing goes way more smoothly. Thank goodness.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Thank goodness for Churu's! Great for sneaking meds/supplements in too.

Just one more day on this dose per SLGS. Is there a reason you aren't following TR? TR lets you get to a better dose faster, as long as you are only feeding low carb wet or raw, it's doable.

3. Virginie & Chewie (GA)

I did consider it at first, since I do feed only raw and LC canned, but it seems extremely daunting for several reasons:

- we are moving from the Pacific Northwest to the East Coast first week of October. The month and a half of preparations and packing will be stressful for humans and felines alike.
    - then to top it off, once the entire apt is packed, we will be on the road with 4 senior cats for an entire week (drive 2 days, rest 1 day, drive 2 days, rest 1 day, drive 1 final day). We will have gabapentin for everyone, and a comfortable special travel carrier, but still terrifying since on top of my now-sugar cat, I also have a chronic pancreatitis/asthma kitty who definitely gets worse with stress.

I don’t think I will be able to test often enough with all of this going on, or to manage possible hypos and the associated stress with the cross country drive looming on the horizon…

We will see how Chewie does after the move, hopefully she will be regulated by then, but if not, absolutely willing to switch to TR then.

4. Wendy&Neko

Chewie will have a greater chance of regulation if you switch to TR for a few weeks, then switch back to SLGS for the move. The first few months after diagnosis are precious. The sooner you get a cat regulated, the greater the odds of remission, should that be a goal of yours. I'm also worried about her being in such high numbers for too long. And it'll make the car trip harder if she's still having to drink and pee as often.

5. Virginie & Chewie (GA)

I am really hoping for remission for her, she was so healthy before she herniated a disc jumping down from a bed early this year. The vet thinks the two weeks she spent on steroids may have triggered the diabetes, of course we can't know for sure, but the hunger and thirst symptoms have only been present for a few months.

I did not know that doing TR temporarily was even an option - we have 7 weeks before the move, if you think TR can help in that interval I trust you and I'm on board! What are my next steps?

tiffmaxee likes this.
  6. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

From the TR sticky:
    • Increase by 0.25 unit after 3 days (6 consecutive cycles) if nadirs are greater than 200, but less than 300.
    • Increase by 0.5 unit after 3 days (6 consecutive cycles) if nadirs are greater than 300.

• I would increase to 1.0.

7. Hendrick Cuddleclaw

Hendrick Cuddleclaw Well-Known Member

thanks Elise that is how I was reading it as well.

@Virginie people sometimes need to switch dosing methods from TR to SLGS or vice-versa, on a temporary basis, and that's totally fine. Or sometimes people start out following SLGS and then later switch to TR, or start with TR and decide they need to switch to SLGS -- the flexibility is there and you hold the syringe so ultimately it is up to you. :)

8. Virginie & Chewie (GA)

Ok, so should I increase to 1.0 to
    Ok, so would I increase to 1.0 tomorrow morning and do her glucose curve every two hours as planned, or do the curve first and increase Sunday?

9. Virginie & Chewie (GA)

Thanks Kyle - I think in the end it was a good thing we started slow, it allowed me to get a handle on the whole process and to tame my anxiety about testing, and also to train her to expect a treat every time and therefore not mind it as much either. She still hates being injected in her side, but forgives even that for churu. I think we are both more prepared now for the frequent testing required by TR than we would have been off the bat!

Hendrick Cuddleclaw likes this.
  10. Wendy&Neko

A lot of us started slow, to get a routine and used to testing. I only injected Neko a couple times on the side, when I was also doing fluids. I shot below shoulders for almost 5 years.

Good luck with the new dose, I hope we'll see some improving numbers soon. By the way, 4 tests a day, 2 per cycle, is the minimum for TR. You are doing that now. You may have to test more when her numbers start getting lower.

11. Virginie & Chewie (GA)

She does get Adequan shots in the scruff twice a month, so I'm trying to avoid that area, but I'll look into the below shoulder area too, thanks.

I just took her +6 and it's 336. Granted, she ate at noon (normally she eats at 1pm but I had to go to the dentist so fed early), but that's still so high.
    New dose starts tonight or in the morning @Wendy&Neko ?

12. Wendy&Neko

Start at your convenience.

13. Virginie & Chewie (GA)

Ok thanks, I'll probably bump it up tonight then. No need to keep her waiting, I'm sure she feels crummy with numbers that high :(