8/17 Jack 350@AMPS, 256@ +2hrs AM, 106@ +5hrsAM-how long hold 9u dose?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jack & Mopem'sMom, Aug 17, 2022.

1. Jack & Mopem'sMom

Jack & Mopem'sMom Well-Known Member

I stayed up most of the night, tested every two hours until around 1am. Jack did ok, stayed in the 100's and now this morning at his AMPS he was 350. What happened between 1am and 5am is beyond me. He was 30 mins early for his shot, so he can get back to the regular schedule that we got knocked off due to yesterday's stalling. This evening he will also be 30mins early and then tomorrow morning we should be back on track. He also has been eating mostly wet food. This morning he actually went looking for seconds, and given the choice between kibble and pate, chose pate. The fact that his brother was also looking for pate probably helped, but we seem to be a 95% wet diet at this point, provided Jack thinks the rest of the herd is getting something he isn't. Paws crossed it stays that way. Question on how long to stick to 9units as we reduce...a week like when we increase, or do the numbers dictate that decision?

Thanks again for everything, you all have no idea how much you help us every day!

Yesterday's craziness:https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...30mins-am-what-to-do-now.267191/#post-2990335

Angela & Cleo likes this.
  2. Angela & Cleo

Angela & Cleo Well-Known Member

Hi Christine, Jack seems to be doing pretty well with the Jedi-Mind Trick transition to wet food. Its quite amazing to watch the transition unfold in colors on the spreadsheet.

The dosing sticky for lantus SLGS says:

Hold the dose for at least a week:​
      • Unless your cat won’t eat or you suspect hypoglycemia
      • Unless your kitty falls below 90 mg/dL (5 mmol/L). If kitty falls below 90 mg/dL (5 mmol/L) decrease the dose by 0.25 unit immediately.

Jack & Mopem'sMom likes this.
  3. Jack & Mopem'sMom

OK, thanks for this. He is now 74@ +9hrs AM, so I gave him a little kibble to eat since I have to go into work meetings now, and won't be able to check him again for the next 3 hrs.

Angela & Cleo likes this.
  4. Angela & Cleo

Angela & Cleo Well-Known Member

tagging @tiffmaxee and/or @Suzanne & Darcy to advise that the 74@AM+9 is another reduction per SLGS and the new dose.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Since you are following SLGS, that 74 means another reduction down to 8.5 units.

As for moving the shot time back, it's 1/2 hour earlier once per day, or 15 minutes per shot time for a total of 1/2 hour a day. If you moved it up 30 minutes this morning, I'd wait until tomorrow AM for the next time to move up the shot time.

6. Jack & Mopem'sMom

OK, so 8.5u and 15 mins earlier tomorrow am and 15 mins tomorrow pm. I thought it was 30 mins per cycle, thanks. If he is green over night, that means 8u in the morning and if he hits green again in the afternoon that means 7.5u in the evening? I'm confused about where the .25 comes in....it's almost impossible to measure on the syringe and I'm fine with the .5 unit movements, especially since he only seems to want to eat wet food now and it's really tanking his numbers....

7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

You could do 1/2 hour earlier tomorrow morning, just not this morning and this night. The 0.25 units comes in when they get to less than 5 units total dose.

8. Jack & Mopem'sMom

Awesome, thanks so much for your help and explanations! He is happily eating wet food now ;)

Wendy&Neko and Angela & Cleo like this.