? 8/17 - Chewie AMPS 492/ +4 448 - AM fur shot/ PMPS: 393/ +3 377

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Virginie & Chewie (GA), Aug 17, 2022.

1. Virginie & Chewie (GA)

Virginie & Chewie (GA) Well-Known Member

Previous (Monday)

Chewie's number were better yesterday after I adjusted the meal schedule as per your recommendations, @tiffmaxee:
    AMPS, breakfast and shot: 8am
    Lunch: 1pm
    Tiny snack at 5pm to stop her yelling and begging for food (one tablespoon of LC canned with tons of water)
    PMPS, dinner and shot: 8pm
    Second dinner: 10.30pm

This morning she started howling for breakfast at 6.45, had to distract her until shot time.
    She ate breakfast and got her shot at 8am, but wiggled quite a bit and I had to inject in scruff rather than flank, I wonder if unknowingly did a "fur shot"...?

I couldn't measure +2 or +3 because of a dentist appointment, so I just did +4 instead. It's noon, so she should have lunch in about an hour but her BG is high. What should I do, feed her as usual, or less/more?

2. Virginie & Chewie (GA)

I'm facing a lot of pressure from my partner to keep her shots 8am/8pm because he wants us to be able to go out for dinner, but seems it would just be easier to do 7am/7pm since she gets hungry so early in the morning?

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

You should be able to sniff the shot location and smell if you did a fur shot. Lantus (and Levemir) both have distinctive smells.

Feed Chewie as you normally would today.

For the overnight hungries, that will get better as her sugar numbers improve. Do you have an automated feeder? If you get one of those rotating ones, like the Petsafe 5, you can put an overnight snack in there, and then have it rotate to an empty slot at +10.

4. Virginie & Chewie (GA)

Thanks @Wendy&Neko, she will be happy about the normal meal :cat:

As for the feeder, it’s not possible at the moment since I have 4 kitties total and they are all gluttons (also all have different health issues and therefore different diets). I did spring for a microchip feeder for my IBD cat last year, so she could eat overnight and not throw up in the morning due to too much stomach acid - best $170 I ever spent, but can’t really afford another one at the moment. We will just have to wait it out until her numbers improve… I will try to push second dinner back by thirty minutes when I can.

5. Virginie & Chewie (GA)

Also great tip for the fur shot, I had no idea about the smell! I will definitely check that way if I ever have another doubtful one.

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Next time you fill a syringe, deliberately put a drop on a paper towel and sniff. You won't forget that smell! If you did do a fur shot this AM, the smell should still be there. It lingers a while. Says the fur shot pro. :p

7. Virginie & Chewie (GA)

Oh yeah, sure enough! Her scruff has this weird, almost oily smell. Kinda reminds me of car engine stuff.

8. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Smells like a bandaid :cat:

9. Virginie & Chewie (GA)

PM shot went in, with a little help from tuna churu!

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  10. Virginie & Chewie (GA)

Going back into magenta territory, yeepee :cat: