8/11: Nova-- question about food sched. & adj. shot time--reg feeding sched

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by LindyNova, Aug 11, 2020.

1. LindyNova

LindyNova Well-Known Member

yesterday

I could just kick myself for last night's late shot--I guess the lateness was like a reducie when she didn't need it. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Anyway...I was warned, and the cats want their food when they want their food..I was aroused out of a deep sleep at 5:55 am from meeps, murps, murowwws and dashes across the bed from the grandkitty, and polite Miss Nova gently inserting a claw into my hand and giving me the death stare. And then I could not go back to sleep, darnit!

So, can I feed at the normal times and then shoot 2 hours afterwards? She would then get another meal in 4 hours.

I am moving Nova back to her normal shot time in 1/2 hour increments per day....unless I can do it in half hours per cycle (which would be preferable)....??

2. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

J.J. and Phoebe Squeak Well-Known Member

Hi, I don't know enough to advise you, but I wanted to bump you back to the top. I hope somebody wise gets back to you soon.

LindyNova likes this.
  3. LindyNova

Thank you!

4. Kyle & Simon (GA)

Kyle & Simon (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi, I am new here and I am wondering if we are supposed to withhold food before every single test? That seems like a lot if you intend to test several times per day? Thanks in advance for your help!

5. LindyNova

The only time you need to withhold food is 2 hours before the am & pm preshot tests. That way you absolutely know that food is not affecting the BG reading, and it is safe to give insulin. Then, if testing for a curve, or other mid day/evening values you go about your normal day....feeding at normal times. :)

Kyle & Simon (GA) likes this.
  6. Kyle & Simon (GA)

Ok good to know! Thanks for responding. Otherwise a BG curve sounded like a starvation day o_O!

LindyNova likes this.
  7. LindyNova

The only time you need to withhold food is 2 hours before the am & pm preshot tests. That way you absolutely know that food is not affecting the BG reading, and it is safe to give insulin. Then, if testing for a curve, or other mid day/evening values you go about your normal day....feeding at normal times. :)
    You are more than welcome! It is SO much in the beginning to absorb. I learned that the low carb(LC) wet food really affects Nova's BG, especially after am & pm pre shot tests. Not so much in the afternoon, but that info came in handy when she went below 50 (TR) on my human meter. You have a lot on your hands. You'll get really good info here from the very experienced members. Good luck!!!

8. Kyle & Simon (GA)

Thank you Lindy! Yes it is a lot to absorb, but so helpful to have people like you out there with answers. Did you find that feeding Nova a low carb food was counter productive when Nova's #s went low? I just bought some higher carb food (FF gravy lovers) to have ready in case Simon's numbers get low. I definitely feel better knowing that we aren't in this alone. :cat::)

9. LindyNova

Not for me, but Every Cat Is Different (ECID) I sometime used a Med carb food (10-12%) when she went really low (those day will come again for me I hope) and once I added a drop or two of honey to that when the numbers wouldn't budge. You are smart to have the high carb on hand (I do too) and when Simon drops very low (like, say at or under 50) you just give the gravy part and you want and test about 20 mins later. In posts on this board, I've found that steroid-induced kitties recover more quickly than others.... and since you are on a low dose, and Simon already hit a healing green (the lagoon) and seems to be hitting the beach (Blue) quite often, you may just have a shorter road ahead of you. Paws & Fingers crossed!

and yes, it is very nice to know we re not in this alone. :):cat:

10. LindyNova

Welp! I received no answer to my question, but I ended up helping someone a bit, so.....

11. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I think you test enough you can feed at the normal time and then shoot 2 hours afterwards.
    It's only supposed to be one 30 min. increment per day or two 15 min. increments per day.

LindyNova likes this.
  12. Briere Fur Mom

Briere Fur Mom Well-Known Member

15 minute per cycle or 30 minutes per day is it.:( I've done the same thing. Shot 3 hours late. It seemed like forever before we we're back on track. It happens to us all;)
    I may not quite understand the question. Kinda foggy:rolleyes: Feed as normal as long as you pull Nova's food 2 hours prior to shot time. Sorry if that didn't answer the question you were asking:facepalm:

LindyNova likes this.
  13. Briere Fur Mom

Listen to Carla:p

14. Briere Fur Mom

:arghh::blackeye::(
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:

LindyNova and Kyle & Simon (GA) like this.
  15. LindyNova

Cool, I'm SO mad at myself, but it is nice to know that others have been in this situation too.(@Briere Fur Mom ) Don't look back, right?

1/2 hour increments is it per day.....feeding normal schedule--cuz if I don't the cats will have my head. :p

Briere Fur Mom likes this.