8/1 Emma AMPS 299 - failed reduction?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Manuel, Aug 1, 2022.

1. Manuel

Manuel Member

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Manuel and Diane Tyler's Mom like this.
  3. Manuel

Manuel Member

Thank you - I'll do some tests tonight! And I'll go to the store and see if there's any suitable wet food. Emma has IBD so I'll be looking for novel protein options.

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Check out the brands Nature's Variety Instinct, Limited Edition, Rawz, Ziwipeak, Identity and if you can get them Hounds&Gatos. Do check the ingredients as a lot of vendors slip fish or chicken in there. What proteins are considered novel to Emma? Maybe I can narrow the list down for you.

5. Manuel

Manuel Member

For the longest time we fed her Wellness Core indoor formula. I’m sure she’s eaten chicken, turkey, tuna, beef. I’m sure she’s tried a few others, but none that I can remember - probably another fish. I’m hoping we haven’t given her duck, since that seems to be easiest to find. But thank you for the suggestions above, and I’m welcome to any others.

6. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

There’s duck, venison, lamb, and rabbit for starters so lots of choices.

Manuel likes this.
  7. Wendy&Neko

Also kangaroo (Koha brand) and I've seen some quail or pork (Identity). The proteins Elise mentioned can be found in the brands I listed above. Fromm also has a lamb pate, but I don't know it's carb %.

Manuel likes this.
  8. Manuel

Manuel Member

Thank you both! I saw Koha and Fromm in the store today and took pictures to research. I also saw some promising options from a company called "Oven-Baked Tradition"; in store I saw kangaroo, rabbit, duck, and quail. Does anyone know how I would calculate the carb percentage? Sadly this brand isn't on the food list, probably because they're Canadian.

Attached Files:

9. Wendy&Neko

This is one of those "read the ingredients" situations. At least their rabbit has fish and pork in it. Quail contains turkey, duck has herring and ocean fish. Boar has pork in it, so that's probably OK. In general, the best way to find out the carbs is to contact the manufacturer and see if they have the As Fed or Dry Matter Basis numbers for their food. Explain your cat is diabetic and you need to know the carbs. If they don't have the carbs as As Fed or DMB, you can calculate them if they have the rest of the numbers (protein, fat, fiber, etc.).

10. Manuel

Manuel Member

Thank you so much, Wendy. It sounds from your post like pork is okay, but fish isn't. I'll do some of my own research to get informed and try to get some good wet food in the near future. And I'll see what I can hear from the company I found re: As Fed or DMB numbers. Cheers!

11. Mandykins

Mandykins Member

Hi again fellow Canadian! I'm not on the forums often, but wanted to check in on you and Emma :bighug:

My Tubbs has some kind of allergy/sensitivity that causes her to overgroom. We tried dealing with this with a vet back in 2019 but she almost died due to an adverse reaction to prednisolone, so we've been doing our own thing trying to solve the problem. We were focusing on dry foods that could help, but now that she's on wet food for her diabetes (and knowing now her overall health), I'm trying to find something that helps her in that food type instead. I came across Koha in my search too, and it crossed my mind that perhaps she has a gluten sensitivity? I picked up a case of the Rabbit au jus, and she loves it so far. Only about a week in, but will continue with it in the hopes that it helps her. Is the Koha easily available near you? Definitely challenging to get out here, although it looks like you can buy directly from them, and great enough, they have a factory in Canada that makes it (others in Thailand or something, but I would assume we get the ones made in Canada). One of our local stores places an order with them monthly, so that probably makes the most sense for us to continue (they only had the rabbit, not kangaroo, and I assume kangaroo would be something that would dwindle during these supply shortages). The great thing about the Koha is that it's grain/pea/potato free, no carrageenan, and has things like pumpkin for digestion, cranberries for urinary health, and New Zealand green mussels for joints etc.

I spent a ton of time looking at the ingredients at literally every canned food in Petsmart along with my local pet store, and so many of them have peas, carrots, potatos etc. that I wanted to avoid! Koha was one of the few that didn't, although there were a handful of others. I picked the Koha since the rabbit was a novel protein for Tubbs. Fingers crossed!

Good luck with the food transition, I had my Tubbs on the hydrolyzed dry back in 2019 and I feel like that one caused some serious weight gain for her, so transitioning Emma to a suitable wet food should hopefully knock those numbers down!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
    Manuel likes this.
  12. Manuel

Manuel Member

It's so kind of you to check in! Thank you for these thoughts - on paper Koha looked good but it's good to hear from a flesh and blood person! They had only a couple of flavours available at the store right near me. Since it's a fairly sizeable store I'm sure they could order more in if I asked! I picked up a can of the limited ingredient duck pate (https://kohapet.com/products/duck-pate-wet-cat-food) and I don't think I saw the rabbit, but I'll look into it! All the best to Tubbs on her transition. She looks like she's doing SO well - wow. You are doing a wonderful job and she's responding in kind!

13. Manuel

Manuel Member

@Mandykins , I was at the pet store today and they said that Koha's rabbit was being discontinued! My pet store at least had no more, and they said it was a manufacturer thing. So if you know your cat likes them, you might want to stock up! I'm going to be trying Koha duck in the next few days. I hope Emma loves it and stomachs it well... it would be great to stop trying new foods!

(Sorry to resurrect this thread, mods.)

14. Manuel

Manuel Member

Follow-up re: Oven-Baked Tradition. I post this in case it's helpful to anyone searching in the future. The manufacturer got back to me with theas-fed carb percentages, so I can make the summary below.

Cat pâté Rabbit: Carbohydrate: 7.66%. 97 cal per 100g (Contains ocean fish and pork liver)
    Cat pâté Boar: Carbohydrate: 7.75%. 97 cal per 100g (Contains pork liver)
    Cat pâté Duck: Carbohydrate: 4.83%. 98.5 cal per 100g (Contains herring and ocean fish)
    Cat pâté Quail: Carbohydrate: 7.94%. 89 cal per 100g (Contains turkey)

It would seem these match the guidelines of <10% carb percentage.

I'm not sure if herring and ocean fish are an allergen for Emma, otherwise the Duck seems like an option. She has been able to eat the rabbit, duck, and kangaroo so far just fine (along with the prednisolone).

15. Mandykins

Mandykins Member

I JUST saw this post (I guess I’m not getting updates via e-mail anymore)! Oh no, that’s not good, I’m going to have to check with Koha directly, this food is finally making her tummy fur grow back (overgrooming issues for 5-10 years)

Thanks for the heads up, I hope the duck one works out for Emma! Tubbs is OFF THE JUICE by the way, wanted to share the great news!!

Congrats on the dose reductions also, bit by bit she’s chipping away at those numbers!

Manuel likes this.
  16. Manuel

Manuel Member

Wow, congratulations! Great for Tubbs, and great for you!! The dream.

I emailed Koha directly, actually, and they said the following: "We do not have any inventory or production issues with Rabbit Paté and do not anticipate any delays." Then they asked which store I was shopping with, suggesting that it's not a company-wide decision. So maybe my local store was just off, or maybe they have a supplier they get their food from that will discontinue, but not Koha themselves. I think you're probably fine!

Mandykins likes this.
  17. Mandykins

Mandykins Member

Thank you, I’m SO happy and proud of my girl for attacking this thing with a vengeance! She’s had enough issues with allergies/possible asthma/etc, overgrooming from the allergies, I felt so bad to have another thing causing her pain/sickness. Based on Emma’s numbers, hopefully she’s not far behind! Especially considering she has similar issues to Tubbs (hydrolyzed protein surprisingly wasn’t helping with the overgrooming/fur didn’t grow back, and she was gaining so much weight we switched her off it).

Thank you for the update on the Koha. Seriously, her fur hasn’t been this long on her belly in 5-7 years. I tried probably every possible dry cat food out there. So in a backwards way, the diabetes helped fix her overgrooming, because I realized I should have been trying varieties of wet food instead, and had the notion that maybe she was allergic to gluten? So decided to try a novel protein for her (rabbit), and of course, Koha’s pates also include all of those supplements, pumpkin, cranberry, mussels, etc, and didn’t have all the veggies/grains/carrageenan. Is it weird that I’m so happy that I keep looking at her fuzzy little belly to make sure it’s still there and growing? LOL!

Koha is certainly a challenge to find locally, I’ve got a store that’s going to be auto ordering flats for me each month, so hopefully that all goes well (I’m still working through the last flat they had). It’s a shame, I wonder why they avoid big box stores?